The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1kandrfan

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed already - couldn't find a post on it, but did the C's really record this song? I remember reading somewhere that they did, and I came across a Linda Ronstandt recording today - it really is a beautiful song and would love to add it to the "I wish Richard would release it someday list" - assuming they did record it.

It's from the Burried Treasure list. A MIA outtake I think? Also think Richard didn't care for this one or am I wrong? I know he wants to release All My Life (MIA outtake) someday when there's a chance for releasing it.

Linda Ronstadt, Joe Cocker, Judy Collins, and Jimmy Webb, himself! All great versions... Hope someday we get to hear it by Karen...

Dave

K&R did record "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" around October,1980.(this was discussed here sometime last year).It features a Country-Pop type arrangement similar to "When It's Gone" and "The Univited Guest".This track was basically completed(to my knowledge) back in 1980-1981.Linda Ronstadt recorded her version in 1982.

This track is one of those "mysterious" recordings that has been sitting in the vaults for thirty years,and will never be released.Richard went through all the vault material in 1983(after Karen's death) and decided back then which tracks he was going to release-and he wanted to release them promptly(within a few years).

I've actually come to the realization more recently that K&R probably decided back in early 1982 that they weren't going to release any of the approximately 17-20 outtakes from the "Made In America" sessions that were sitting in the vaults at that point-even though they stated back in June 1981 that several of those tracks would appear on the next album-supposedly for a 1982 release.(as it turned out,Richard decided in 1983 to release seven of those outtakes-five on "Voice Of The Heart" and two on "Lovelines").And,they started work on a brand new album in Spring,1982 where at least ten tracks were partially recorded(two of those "Now" and "Your Enough" were included on "Voice Of The Heart").

Again,as far as "Mistress" is concerned,Richard has no intention of ever releasing this track-And Richard has had plently of opportunities to put this out over the past 28 years.(just think of all the compilations and boxed sets A&M/universal put out,plus the 3 posthumous 1980's studio albums.)

Linda's version is so definitive, I can't blame Richard for consigning their version to the vaults. Given the overall production values on "Made in America," I just can't imagine the Carpenters' version having the same power. No way would Karen at that stage have belted it to a crescendo like Linda does. Had the song been around at the time of "Horizon," though, they'd probably have knocked it out of the ballpark. Definitely a great composition.

I first fell in love with this song when I heard it sung by Judy Collins. Then I fell in love all over again when I heard Linda Ronstadt sing it. I can't really decide which is better.

Judy's version has that beautiful soft female quality, while Linda's is more powerful. They're both definitive versions in my opinion.

I would think Karen's would be closer to Judy's version, but who knows really. Even if it was less than stellar compared to Linda or Judy's versions, I'd still love to hear it.

Judy's version is beautiful, too, and as you said I can easily imagine Karen approaching it with the same understated intimacy. Could be I'm just too used to hearing Linda shake the rafters at the line "I fell out of her eyes..." Her take feels more like a classic Jimmy Webb epic, a la "MacArthur Park" or "Galveston". She's probably my second favorite female voice, after Karen. Love Judy also ("Who Knows Where the Time Goes" and "Send in the Clowns" being personal favorites).

As long as it's not flooded with oboes and a chorale but kept simple and elegant, I'd like to hear the Carpenters' rendition. I'm not a huge proponent of the "if it's in the vaults, release it" camp, though. "Rainbow Connection," for example, is a cute song when sung by a frog, but I usually skip it on "As Time Goes By" and "Gold". Doesn't enhance the legacy IMO. But I support the right of others to feel strongly to the contrary.

I just bought Ronstadt's out of print GET CLOSER featuring Mistress. Beautiful track! First listen and I'm back on the buried wishlist band wagon. Oh if only. For such a short recording career K&R did some great output. however when a singer/legend passes I believe the fans deserve every legitimate note. After all it was our dollars that catapulted Mr. C to wealth and superstardom. Once again I say " C'mon Rich!

Jeff

The song was also recorded by artist Michele Pillar, who at times sounds similar to Karen.

LONG time ago - maybe 1977. It's on a duet album with Erik Nelson called "The Misfit".

BTW- the best song on that disc is "Hurting People"- its very Carpenteresque without being a sound a like. Gorgeous melody and arrangement. Her vocals are stunning.

Carpenters cut four sides in April, 1982. Two of them were "You're Enough" and "Now", of course. I believe one of the others was called "Don't Stop", which apparently has Richard singing lead.

Carpenters cut four sides in April, 1982. Two of them were "You're Enough" and "Now", of course. I believe one of the others was called "Don't Stop", which apparently has Richard singing lead.
I had never heard of this before. I know it hassn't been leaked on YouTube. Has anyone ever heard it?

More to the point, why was Richard cutting tracks with his own lead vocal by 1982? Unless it was a demo for Karen to reinterpret...

I meant from the point of view that he totally abandoned doing any lead vocals from 1975 onwards, so to start doing them again 7 years on I always thought a bit strange.

Good point. I'll bet it was a demo he'd recorded sometime in '82. Possibly when Karen was in NYC due to her illness.

I don't know if it's ever been heard by fans, but I would bet on it. That song is mentioned in the list of songs that surfaced about 15 years ago containing all the songs still in the vault and the year they were recorded. I think that list leaked out around the time A&M shut their doors. Richard wasn't happy about it because that's how many fans found out about "The Rainbow Connection", etc.

Any chance this was a Richard demo of Christine McVie's "Don't Stop"? Idle speculation, but considering all that his sister was going through at the time, might've been intended only as something she could have with her in NY to help keep her spirits up. We fans sometimes assume every note they played or sang was intended for us, but...

Of course, that speculation could be completely wrong. Nice to contemplate, though.

I would pay dearly to hear this.... What a haunting melody and powerful lyric. Oh man... just to hear a phrase or two of Karen's vocal... & the things Richard could do with the arrnagement.... I really hope we get another song out of that vault....

Please Richard? Please? just for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom