• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy Webb is one of the top five or so american composers of the 20th c, and this song is THE song to hope for. If Richard "finds" it, I am alternate;u gomg to be thrilled and furious.

Two songs by Jimmy Webb prompted me to seek out solo JW albums. These were the two on Joe Cocker's "I Can Stand A Little Rain". I had always loved "It's a Sin When You Love Somebody", which was on the jukebox in the 70s in my favourite café, as the backside of "You Are So Beautiful". But more recently, having bought the album on vinyl, I was knocked out by "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress". Cocker's vocal is so evocative it gets me searching for the kleenex box every time.

It seems to me this is a song perfectly made for Cocker's voice. I can't imagine a female vocal on it, but Linda is one of my favourites as well, and I suppose the unrequited love thing happens to them, too :hide: So I'll be searching out Get Closer to check it out.

As for Jimmy Webb's solo albums, I've found nothing on vinyl locally, but I ordered Suspending Disbelief on CD, after reading good reviews. It hasn't really grabbed me yet (too redneck over-produced country for my tastes). So I guess I'll keep looking for JW songs on other peoples' albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom