• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Sad Songs thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"In My Life" and "A Cottage for Sale" always kind of stir some inner tears and feelings of nostalgia.

Take care...

George

There's also "HOUSE For Sale"... --Johnny Mathis and The 5th Dimension...

("...House for sale, move in, no one is here... Just empty rooms and dried up tears... Do you wanna know the cost...? The cost of wasted years...")

Dave

Eh, put down that entire 5th Dimension album, Soul & Inspiration as a "Sad.../Makes me..."!!! :cry:

Songs like "Salty Tears" (Man, I wish I could play the piano like THAT!!!!), "Somebody Warm Like Me", "I Don't Know How To Look For Love" and a whole lott'a other tracks on that album, not even counting the Bonus ones on the recently reissued CD... Sad, too, in the sense that the group was also simultaneously on the verge of a break-up as well...

How 'bout Elton John's "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word"--though it seems to drown in its own maudlin self-pity, uncanny for something coming from "the man who gave us "Your Song", earlier in the decade, kicking off that '1970's singer/songwriter' movement"... Dee Dee Bridgewater and Ray Conniff Singers also each did renditions of that one, just as sappy, but it was really never "designed for any other kind of delivery"...! :laugh:

Dave

Well, the saddest song I know is ONCE UPON A TIME. ...and Sinatra does the best version. For me, the words certainly hit some nerves, but I think a number of guys over 45 or 50 would find some sentimental value in this song. One thing for sure, this song wasn't written by a 25 year old! Another song that is similar, but sadder to a lesser degree is BALLAD OF THE SAD YOUNG MEN. and then of course, there's GLOOMY MONDAY!

SADDEST SONGS ON A&M

HOW CAN I TELL YOU / Lani Hall * (check this one out!)
SAD LISA / Cat Stevens
GOODBYE TO LOVE / Carpenters

MORE TEARJERKERS ON OTHER LABELS

THE END OF THE WORLD / Skeeter Davis
BLUE ON BLUE / Bobby Vinton
DESPERADO / Eagles
OH GIRL / Chi-Lites
LANDSLIDE / Fleetwood Mac
KATHY'S SONG / Simon & Garfunkle
STRANGE FRUIT / Billie Holiday
CANDLE IN THE WIND / Elton John
LONESOME TOWN / Ricky Nelson
EARLY MORNING RAIN / Peter Paul & Mary (or Gordon Lightfoot)
I STARTED A JOKE / Bee Gees
WARMTH OF THE SUN / Beach Boys
YOU BELONG TO ME / Jo Stafford
IN MY ROOM / Beach Boys
SENTIMENTAL LADY / Fleetwood Mac
AS TEARS GO BY / Marianne Faithfull
SAME AULD LANG SYNE / Dan Fogelberg
ANGEL EYES / Frank Sinatra
I'LL ONLY MISS HER WHEN I THINK OF HER / Frank Sinatra
FOR NO ONE / Beatles

Speaking of Sinatra, and sad songs, have you ever heard, "There Used to be a Ball Park Right Here?" It's about Ebbets Field and the departure of 'Them Bums'(the Brooklyn Dodgers)from New York City, back in the late 1950s. That song kills me - as a youngster, I used to go to Ebbets Field - what a place. Saw many of the guys we only read about these days: Jackie Robinson, Pee Wee Reese, Gil Hodges, Duke Snyder, Stan Musial, Ted Kluzewski, and the list goes on and on. What a time and place for a kid.

Yet another sad song is called September Song(Jimmie Durante's version comes to mind).

Take care...

George

P.S. Sad kid songs - Toyland and Puff, the Magic Dragon

Right - 'Once Upon a Time' is sure one of the saddest, but I've thought of a few more that kinda make me a little damp around the eyes:

1). I'll Be Seeing You(In All the Old Familiar Places)
2). These Foolish Things(Remind Me of You)
3). It Was a Very Good Year(Frank Sinatra)
4). Is That All There Is(Peggy Lee)

In a way, there are a couple of Willie Nelson songs that fit the bill, too:

1). The City of New Orleans(Arlo Guthrie)
2). Pancho and Lefty

This is good stuff to think about - takes me back more than a few years. There are more, also...

Take care...

George

Moondog... You came up with a few Sinatra gems. It Was A Very Good Year is a classic sad song and it's subject matter is much like Once Upon A Time. I just thought of another very sad and beautiful Sinatra song... Monday Morning Quarterback. There Used To Be A Ballpark is a wonderful (and very sad) song. What a tragedy it was when they tore that place down! If you lived in Brookyn during the 50s, I envy you. What a great little ballpark!

You mentioned some greats... Hodges, Musial, Kluszewski... do you remember Wally Post ??

Moondog said:
...It Was a Very Good Year(Frank Sinatra)...
This song was the centerpiece to Sinatra's September Of My Years ['65] LP -- recorded the year he turned 50. For those who prefer the "mature voiced" Frank, this one is choice. This piece in particular...when Frank sings the final two lines,

• It poured sweet and clear;
    It was a very good year.
his phrasing of those three words -- sweet and clear -- the emotion conveyed, with Frank nearly over-extending himself, rips the goose bumps off me every time. In terms of raw, pure emotive substance, it's really unlike anything else I've heard from his '60s music. Truly a masterful climax to a flawless performance.

Never lived in Brooklyn, but my dad used to take me over to the Polo Grounds(NY Giants), Ebbets Field(Dodgers)and Yankee Stadium when I was a youngster, back in the early 1950s(probably between like 1949 and 1955, best I can remember).

Sure, I remember Wally Post, but I don't actrually remember seeing him play, although I might've. I saw DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Campanella, Sal Maglie(The Barber), Leo Deroucher, Eddie Stankey, Ralph Kiner, Satchel Paige, Phil Rizzuto, Yogi, Johnny Mize, Bob Feller. Saw the St. Louis Browns, Philadelphia Athletics, Washington Senators.

That was back when there were 8 teams in each league and there were no playoffs, unless there was a tie at the end of the season(like 1951). I was actually watching TV when Bobby Thompson hit the 'shot heard 'round the world.' "The Giants win the pennant"(7 times, over and over again). In fact, Bobby Thompson lived near me(on a little road called Sunlit Drive)and I was a part of a summer crew that painted his house about 30 years ago. That's what teachers used to do in the summers - paint houses. To the best of my knowledge, Thompson is still alive(living in Florida, maybe??), but no longer lives near me.

Great memories...thanks for the opportunity to recall and share some of them.

Take care...

George

How did we get from Sad Songs to Baseball? You young guys have got to stop messing with the minds of us old guys. :laugh: :?:

Take care...

George

Three more:

Don't Get Around Much Any More
Just Friends
Stardust

Don't know why these didn't occur to me until now, but that's what happens when you get old. First to go are the legs - - - then - - the mind.

Take care...

George

sp4130.jpg
sp4180.jpg

"If I Were The Man..."

:cry:

:neutral:inkshield:​

Dave

Absolutely ... and this made me think of Larry Marks' "L.A. Breakdown (And Take Me In)", his own single & covered on SP 4287 by Jimmie Rodgers.

JB

Just thought of another sad tune... The Lonely One. I know of 2 excellent versions. Nat King Cole did the best rendition, but Lisa Ekdahl's cover is nice as well. Does anyone know of any other covers of this rarely recorded tune? Also, does anyone know if Cole's version was the original?

Another Bobby Goldsboro: "The Gentle Of A Man"; :sad:

Last song, Side 1 of Come Back Home, which also has a sad title-track, that also appears on his Tenth Anniversary Album... :cry:

Dave

I would have to say Edith Piaf's Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien. It was her swan song and after seeing "La Vie En Rose" I can't hear it without getting misty.

The same goes for Mike Post's "Theme From HILL STREET BLUES", with Larry Carlton's eery and, well, BLUESY Guitar-Work and Mike's pastoral piano and Sid Sharp's prominent strings; had his entire Television Theme Songs album, as well as the picture-sleeve '45' of "...HILL STREET BLUES" b/w the non-LP "Aaron's Tune", sporting more of Carlton's mercurial guitar playing and soloing...!

Dave

sp4327.jpg

"When the World has got me down, and I've almost lost the will to try, I may look sad and I may frown, but I'll still find comfort in your waiting, your hello and your goodbye...And how our pleasure makes you cry..."​

--"That's Enough For Me"; done by Paul Williams, The Lettermen or Peter or Mary of Peter, Paul & Mary-fame... (Mary's Self-Titled Solo LP and Peter's That's Enough For Me, also done solo after the group broke-up...

Dave

Bobby Goldsboro "The Gentle Of A Man", especially with its sort'a preachy Harry Chapin quality; last track, Side 1 on his 1971 album Come Back Home... :sad:

And a few other tracks on that album are "weepers", ('cept for the hopeful-sounding cover of Elton John's "Your Song") too... :cry:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom