Two minutes of music! Whatcha got?

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Here's something that might be a bit of fun. The object is to list, or post a video of, musical gems that around two minutes in length. To keep it official, the time should clock in at 2:59 or less. There is a lot of music I've found that falls between 2:00 and 2:30.

Dipping back decades to the spectacular Johnny Horton.

A&M followers recognize this duo.

My mom's cousin gave me the 45 RPM single of this song, b/w "Kookie's Mad Pad." I only just discovered the LP a year or two ago. It's the ginchiest!

A few things without words.

One from Jumbo.

Boots recorded this originally in 1958 for RCA but it wasn't until this 1963 rerecording for the Monument label when he made it a hit.

The best 2½ minutes ever recorded in 5/4 time.

From my childhood, another instrumental, the flip side of the Chipmunks' "Alvin's Orchestra", this less-than-two minutes of perfection:

Got soul?

Interesting how I located this song. I'd heard it on XM5 back in the day. First time I heard it, I immediately knew all the lyrics. What the heck?? Turns out Roy Hamilton's is the original version, yet I'd heard the Isaac Hayes dance club remake from the late 1970s (it's the title track to perhaps his best album on Polydor).

The best crunchy-sounding 45 RPM record I own, and that crunchiness lives on digitally. Just enough overload to give this Wilson Pickett song a lot of power.

Another favorite soul track, clocking in at 2:22.

Last edited:
Is an artist always the best in their lean and hungry years. IMHO, Neil Diamond recorded some gems (sorry) in his earliest years on the Bang label. I like a few things from the Uni years but beyond that, no go. These are all favorites of mine from that era.

From the I.R.S. Records catalog...

Love the retro vibe on this song by The Fleshtones. That and "Girl from Baltimore" won me over.

No explaining The Cramps. 😁

Still a man of mystery. 🤫 Although it's rumored that Stewart Copeland may know who Klark Kent is.

Enough for now. Here's one last tune which clocks in at 2:49. A modern day pop masterpiece, the Grammy-winning "I Still Have That Other Girl." Classic Bacharach sound!

(I think you posted MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE twice. Did you mean to?)

Del Amitri "Roll To Me" (from 1995 "Twisted" on A&M) in which the music video is about them as babies.:whoa: Foo Fighters "Big Me" (from their 1995 self-titled) in which the music video does a spoof of "Mentos" candy!! :whoa:

The Beach Boys "You're Welcome" (flip 45 B side of "Heroes And Villians" from 1967) "Hey you're welcome to come" which runs 1:17 in length!!

"Telephone Song" is a short record by several artists. Here's Sergio Mendes & Brasil '65:

This is the fourth track from the 7th album of the Baja Marimba Band 2:30 self-titled album Do You Know the Way to San Jose

A three-fer from Steely Dan. Six of the eleven tracks on Pretzel Logic are all under three minutes. This would not happen with any of their other albums.

"We will spend a dizzy weekend smacked into a trance."

How about 1:33? Whoever Buzz is, they're through with him. Maybe he's a fairy?

"He slapped your hand so you settled up your bill..."

Having just watched both seasons of RUSSIAN DOLL (I recommend season one, but not season two) and having just last week listened to Skip Weshner's interview with him from April of 1970, I'm in a Harry Nilsson zone, so...

One of my favorites from the 70s (an era of music I don't have a lot of love for). Danceable, fun, talkie, and not on A&M!

Back in the I.R.S. universe... Oingo Boingo's cover of Willie Dixon's "Violent Love" is a pleasure!

A bit long at 2:51, but here ya go.

This is an unreleased version of "Brazilian Rhyme" (aka "Ponta de Areia"), longer than the version on All 'n' All.

A favorite wrap-up to side one of All 'n' All:

Here are some diverse picks from my listening today. At least, the short 2-ish minute ones.

A little Ry Cooder, with a guest artist familiar to everyone here.

"It's not too late..."

From an album that featured guest artists as diverse as Doug Feiger (The Knack), Ozzy Osbourne, and Mel Tormé, here's Was (Not Was) with an oddball from Born to Laugh at Tornadoes.

Back
Top Bottom