Two minutes of music! Whatcha got?

Yes, this is six minutes long, but it is just too good to not listen. Even if you just listen to the first two minutes and 30 seconds....

Quiet Elegance - "Roots of Love"

Last edited:
The Beau Brummels reduced to a trio. [1967]

Bee Gees from their earlier life. [1967]

The great William Bell. [1967]

Back on A&M, a surprise hit of a pop edit of Beethoven's Ninth by Miguel Rios had a song on its flip-side called "El Rio". That song had been a hit is Spain, and is only around 2:30. Here's "El Rio":

(I've removed the CSG stuff, natch!)

Meanwhile, for you types that prefer English, Paul Williams wrote some English lyrics to the "El Rio" song and it was placed on Miguel Rios' US album SPX-4267 as "The River". The album didn't have CSG, thankfully.

Bought the Young-Holt Unlimited single the moment I heard it on the radio. A favorite to this day.

Swing Out Sister did a vocal version of the song that's also fantastic, but it's longer than 3 minutes.

I have a hard time deciding which one I love more - the instrumental by Young-Holt Unlimited is easily one of my favorite 45s from the '60s, but the Swing Out Sister cover of "Am I the Same Girl?" is one of the most underrated singles of the early '90s (but then, they're also one of the most criminally underrated bands to come out of the '80s; they deserved to be so, so much bigger in the U.S. they they were! I love everything they've ever done.)

Booker T. For my ears Booker T plays the most melodically pleasing Hammond of the '60s. [1969]

Bossa Rio finding their way to San Jose. [1969]

Boyce & Hart pushing their boundaries a bit. [1968]

I have loved this song from the moment I heard it (which made me one weird 14-year-old).
No more weird than the rest of us who didn't listen to what our schoolmates listened to. 😁 Ours was all about 70s rock--J. Geils was very popular at our high school for whatever reason, but Kansas, Santana, Journey, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Stones, etc. were what everyone else was playing. Although it turns out that there must have been a lot of closet Prince fans since "Private Joy" got our 10 year reunion moving in a big way. (Outside jazz band class where many of us listened to jazz at home, those who listened to funk/R&B were far in the minority.)

No more weird than the rest of us who didn't listen to what our schoolmates listened to. 😁 Ours was all about 70s rock--J. Geils was very popular at our high school for whatever reason, but Kansas, Santana, Journey, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Stones, etc. were what everyone else was playing. Although it turns out that there must have been a lot of closet Prince fans since "Private Joy" got our 10 year reunion moving in a big way. (Outside jazz band class where many of us listened to jazz at home, those who listened to funk/R&B were far in the minority.)

Yeah---being from L.A. and growing up from age 9-18 in Bishop (270 miles and a world away from L.A.) was kinda dispiriting musically.

Of the 3,000 souls who lived there, possibly 300 were Native Americans of the Paiute Tribe, there were, I believe, two Black people, and zero Asians. The soundtrack was Country and white rock.

Which explains the looks I got in the hallway at school every morning after my show on KIBS where fully half of what I played was R&B.

Yeah---being from L.A. and growing up from age 9-18 in Bishop (270 miles and a world away from L.A.) was kinda dispiriting musically.

Of the 3,000 souls who lived there, possibly 300 were Native Americans of the Paiute Tribe, there were, I believe, two Black people, and zero Asians. The soundtrack was Country and white rock.

Which explains the looks I got in the hallway at school every morning after my show on KIBS where fully half of what I played was R&B.
I was one of those weird kids myself most places I lived the soundtrack was either country and rock and if you liked anything beyond that you would be given that Deer in the headlights look so to speak I'm thankful I live in a college town where
They have a Music school named after Lionel Hampton and they had yearly jazz festivals a more musically diverse place where there's a bigger world of music beyond Rock and country and the top 40 as I believe Herb alpert has said once "The best music is NOT on the Radio.

Where I grew up, I'm surprised it wasn't all polkas and tarantellas. 😁 A lot of classmates were either Polish or Italian.

But given the locale, the kids had at least one parent who worked for the auto companies. If their dads weren't engineers at the GM Tech Center (which we lived a mile away from) or the others, they worked at the assembly plants, or at the numerous suppliers to GM, Ford, Chrysler and AMC. We probably had more GM folks per mile than most areas given the Tech Center (and we also weren't far from Chrysler's Sterling Stamping and Sterling Assembly plants, right across the street from each other), but we were within 30 minutes of several assembly or stamping plants and probably hundreds of suppliers, anything from parts manufacturing to tool and die shops.

So a lot of that music was blue-collar "working man" oriented. Bob Seger and Ted Nugent were two local rock heroes with huge followings. In high school, a good portion of us discovered new wave, so that was also a thing. MTV also debuted just a few weeks before our senior year, and that really turned the tide toward a wider selection of music, and the idle chat about music in school went from rock bands to whatever new thing had crept onto MTV overnight. (And I missed out since we never had cable. 🤣 But a few local TV stations would air videos, so I got to see many of them.)

I think that going to the used record stores, and one store in particular where I used to hang out weekly (RIP Sam's Jams), where I really got a feel for what was out there.

This little ditty might have been popular in Europe and found its way to the radio station I listened to back then. The song has that "Bacharach-bounce" that was so popular back then. It took me awhile to track down the record that I'd remembered from way back then. It's French singer Sacha Distel with "It Can Happen To You" clocking in at 2:51.

I can't think of a better short song, as written and performed by Chico Feitosa. One minute and 19 seconds of musical excellence.

Actress & singer Anna Kendrick "Cups" (from 2012 "Pitch Perfect" movie soundtrack) which runs 2:05. This is the pop remix version. (the original ran 1:14)

Back
Top Bottom