Two minutes of music! Whatcha got?

Oh Man! I love Whip It! Always makes me smile.
👍👍 I wanted to include "Uncontrollable Urge" (first track from their first album) but it is over three minutes long, as was "Through Being Cool." ("E-li-mi-nate the ninnies and the twits.") I was flipping through a handful of tracks from that era, like Gary Numan/Tubeway Army, Yazoo, early Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk (from the Computer World album)...it was quite a time for music.

It's hard to find a Prince song that is this short, but the single edit of "Delirious" fits in this thread.

Of all the Yazoo tracks, this is one of the very few that clock in under three minutes. An album cut. "Goodbye 70s."

Here's another throwback--The Kingbees, "Shake Bop." Many of the songs on their first album are under three minutes and this is one of my favorites.

Well, this is my favorite song of all-time, and it just barely clocks in at over two minutes (which, for a song from the Nineties, was a particular anomaly for the era):

The A&M promotional LP FAMILY PORTRAIT consists of nearly ALL under 3:00 tracks.

The Phil Ochs "Cross My Heart" track goes to 3:21, and Sergio Mendes "Like A Lover" clocks in at 3:42. Jimmie Rodgers gets a "pass" with "You Pass Me By" at exactly 3:00, and Herbie Mann is only slightly longwinded with "House Of The Rising Sun" at 3:05.

So four of the sixteen are a bit over. All of the other tracks come in between 2 and 3 minutes.

Here are a few more from my 5-hour, 100-track (and growing) "oldies" playlist.

And more from the playlist.

I am in no way a fan of Bob Seger's but can take the occasional tracks from his earliest years with The Last Heard. "Heavy Music Pt. 1" steals a Motown rhythm but adds a lot of soul/funk meat to it. One of the great songs from the Cameo/Parkway stable.

Definitely the "Mods" here! Small Faces, featuring Steve Marriott on lead vocals and a young Kenney Jones on drums. (Jones would become the drummer for The Who after Keith Moon passed.)

And completely out of left field, how many kids my age grew up watching this series on Saturday morning TV? (Oddly, I knew the song more because we sent into Kellogg's, the cereal company, for the pair of 45 RPM EPs they were selling...I never could watch the show! 🤣)

A little footnote to the "Tra La La Song". I mistakenly had Autoplay on and the track that started after this one was Toto's "Georgy Porgy." 😁 I get the childhood rhyme part of it, but...OK?

Last batch from the playlist.

Becker and Fagen (Steely Dan) briefly wrote for Jay & The Americans, but this track was written by another familiar songwriting duo...

I first heard this on an album Dan Hartman recorded (which was the title track). Hartman's album was in a very similar retro/pop vibe and can be hard to find. Always liked it. Here's the original version.

I dislike most "Motown" since it's all pretty much soundalike cookie-cutter music production. At least Marvin Gaye stepped outside the mold a few times during those early days and, finally, stood up to Berry Gordy Jr. and recorded his landmark What's Going On. I wanted to include "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" and "What's Going On" but they both clock over the three minute mark. However, I first heard the song "Once Upon A Time" on the excellent Mavericks cover album The Mavericks Play The Hits. On that version (which clocks over three minutes), Raul Malo duets with Martina McBride. On the original, it's Marvin Gaye with Mary Wells. Kind of lightweight but it has a nice vibe to it.

My favorite era of the Rolling Stones is from their early London years. My favorites are "Paint It Black," "Under My Thumb" and "The Last Time" but they all roll in at more than three minutes. Here are some overlooked gems that fit the survey.

"Not Fade Away" digs into their blues roots.

"Doctor pleeease, some more of theeese, outside the doooor, she took four moooore..."

Here's one with two songs merged together into one record, all in under 2½ minutes. "Classical Gas/Scarborough Fair" Alan Copeland Singers:
It must be a day for combinations...this one hits at 1:47.

From my favorite Wanda Sa/Sergio Mendes Trio album Brasil '65. This one reminded me of Vince Guaraldi earlier in life.

And from the same album (also called In a Brazilian Bag on Capitol's Tower label), the wonderful Joao Donato song "Aquarius."

BTW, this online version of In a Brazilian Bag sounds terrible. 😠 My LP of this one sounds better. And the CURB Records CD sounds better than both. Wish I could get an original Capitol pressing but a sealed one is unobtainium.

Having watched a couple pof Stewart Copeland interviews two night ago, here are a few from The Police.

A track from Reggatta de Blanc, AKA "a day in the life of Stewart Copeland." 😁

This was always one of my favorites from Zenyatta.

A deep album cut from Ghost.

My favorite era of the Rolling Stones is from their early London years. My favorites are "Paint It Black," "Under My Thumb" and "The Last Time" but they all roll in at more than three minutes. Here are some overlooked gems that fit the survey.

"Not Fade Away" digs into their blues roots.

"Doctor pleeease, some more of theeese, outside the doooor, she took four moooore..."

I love the Rolling stones London period recordings especially the early tunes you mentioned I have the Abcko cd remaster of the U.S Aftermath album in true stereo it sounds almost exactly like the original London version to my ears much better than the one with the Mono version of paint it black released in the 80s.

I never knew words were put to this one (which may be on one of Rudy's playlists...). [1969]

I've always liked this cover; a pleasant surprise from Nancy Ames. [1967]

The Harmonies of the 5th Dimension are unmistakable. (I like the timbre when Marilyn and Florence achieve when they double up in unison). [1969]

I never knew words were put to this one (which may be on one of Rudy's playlists...). [1969]
I'll give this one a listen later--I'm spinning Chick Corea's Elektric Band at the moment (Eye of the Beholder) which I picked up at the wrecka stow a couple of hours ago.

EDIT: Yep, I know that one! I had the instrumental version on one of my other playlists (perhaps on Qobuz?) but should add it to this large Oldies playlist. Very familiar melody!

Back
Top Bottom