• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

VOLUME 2, WARM and THE BRASS ARE COMIN' on iTunes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee, talk about my mood swings. As soon as I read about the itunes release I was jumping up and down with joy-----thinking that the itunes release would be the precursor to the cd. Now that I read that the itunes release will likely be the only exposure these songs will get, I am in a deep depression. I don't have a cd burner nor do I know anyone that has one. Being 60ish I am not on the 'cutting edge of computer technology'. Like some others in this forum, I will wait until Rise is reissued and see what happens........if these 3 cd's aren't reissued after Rise, then I just may have to get a cd burner and experiment. I have a hard time believing that the sound quality will be as good as a cd.......but maybe that's my lack of computer knowledge showing through. All in all it will be an expensive proposition for me.........but I reckon I will do it cause I am a "Brass fanatic".

I myself am subscribed to Yahoo Music as a means of previewing music, and not having ever heard Warm, I was pretty bummed out that it appears to be an iTunes exclusive. I am with the rest of you when it comes to lossy formats, but I'd like to at least hear Warm before I die.

I still have hope that fans in the UK will be able to download these albums from iTunes.

While I too am disappointed that I can't have a CD, liner notes etc I would rather have the opportunity to buy a cleaned up, albeit compressed, version of Warm rather than nothing at all and have to rely on my homemade CD.

And if I was able to download Summertime, YSTSB, Coney Island, just You & Me, Main Event Live and Beyond, I would be delighted.

As someone else said, a few hours ago we had no idea that we'd be able to get any new version of Warm.

I, for one am grateful for these releases - or would be if I could download 'em!!!

Stephen

"Rise," like "Whipped Cream," is truly a signature album and is being released by itself to give it the proper attention.

The real question after Rise is...what now, my love?

Well I'm happy for those who are happy with this nonesense. As for me, until they exist on CD, they don't exist. I'll have no part of paying for downloading my music and home-making CDs. There's a big difference between Omega-ing a CDR from the internet and buying an official release on CD. For those of you who want to look at your glass as half full, enjoy your compressed, downloaded, home-made boom-box ready downloads. I, for one, have a big problem with this kind of marketing when it's offered as the only choice. I consider it a sullying of the music and an insult to us 40 year plus fans. So enjoy, but for me, these titles still don't exist.

David

All in all it will be an expensive proposition for me.........but I reckon I will do it cause I am a "Brass fanatic".

Expensive? No. If your computer has USB ports (and if it's less than 6 years old, it will) you can buy a CD Burner that will plug in and basically install itself. It will probably cost less than $75.

Complicated? No. People can hurl all the insults at iTunes they want, but you can't argue with the fact that it is simple and easy to use. The bottom line is, if you can find your way around the internet, you should be able to operate iTunes and a burner with ease.

Well I'm happy for those who are happy with this nonesense.
I don't think anybody has said they're happy with the no-CD-release program. I'd prefer proper CDs. But I'm glad the music's out there and I'm enjoying listening to it. Gotta remember -- there are quite a few high-ups in the music industry who are now insisting that the "CD is dead."

Mike---thanks for that bit of news re: the cd burner. There may still be hope for us computer illiterates. $75 isn't a lot to spend. I really don't want to do it but if push comes to shove I will. thanks again

What I find tragic in this is Herb's attitude towards Warm. It's a terrific album...he did everything right, but the audience wasn't there, at least not in numbers comparable to previous TJB releases. There are a lot of artists who would have loved to have their LP hit #28 in 1969...including the artists who made every other album A&M released that year. Yep, Warm peaked higher than every other 1969 A&M release. I'd call it the high point of a bad year.

Not his fault, not the album's...but from that point on, he's been the father who gave his kid the cold shoulder for not being good enough. And he raced right back to the old formula, which didn't work either, with The Brass Are Comin'.

Jerry's the money guy....I would totally get it if he was making the call. But Herb, being the artist, being the guy who got other artists (the Carpenters, for example) onto A&M over the stringent objections of other factions.....because of the music.....Herb, I'd hoped, would see this as an opportunity for people to discover the beauty in something they missed the first time around.

Hell, retitle Warm Lost Treasures, Vol II. That's really what it is.

---Michael Hagerty

It is indeed a magnificent album, certainly from my perspective as a fan. I couldn't get enough of it then, and still can't to this day. "The Sea Is My Soil" still gives me goosebumps.

Oh, and a word of caution to those of you who are now "driving" to WARM for the first time ever. Watch your speed when you get to "Sandbox". That song can tend to give the driver a heavy gas foot, just like "Mexican Road Race" on SRO.

Harry

I hate to put a damper on the "festivities", but let's all think about what we're posting here.

First of all, despite my original post, there are still some insinuations that Shout Factory is trying to take advantage of us, or cut corners. This is not the case: as I mentioned, remember who owns and controls the masters, and who gives permission as to what gets released, and in which formats. From my experience with them, I can assure you that the kind folks at Shout Factory are passionate music listeners and collectors just as we are--I bet they would like to see all of these on CD as well!

As for Rise: there are further CD releases planned throughout 2007 and 2008, but we do not yet have any details about these yet. When we get the information from the label or the artist, we'll be the first to post about it.

If anything, we need to be grateful that these three albums DID get released to iTunes, as this is currently the only way they are going to be released and, perhaps, the only chance we'll ever see these in an "official" digital format directly from a music label. Some who don't care for downloading files have a right to be disappointed, of course, but this also has the negative effect of discouraging Herb from releasing anything else in the future as well.

To put it into the perspective of the artist: if there are this many complaints about releasing these underperforming albums to iTunes, why should he go to the effort to release more of them, if all the fans are going to do is complain about them? All of the bitterness here will do nothing but hurt any chance we have to get the other lesser-selling albums reissued, even as downloads. This has the effect of the "squeaky wheels" not getting greased, but making the entire wagon fall apart under us. Why ruin it for those members here would will like and appreciate these downloads?

I'd rather see posts like: "I'm disappointed by the lack of CD releases, but at least these are on iTunes for others to enjoy." There are better ways to get a point across without the negative "vibes" being cast against the label, the artist, or whoever else did all the hard work to get these released for us.

On behalf of our moderation staff, and all others involved, let's please cool it on the negativity. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated nonetheless, and have been noted. I will say that some of us are very disappointed at the negative attitudes toward the released iTunes versions of these albums. While not ideal for some of us, they are all we have, and we should be grateful for the effort that went in to getting them online in the first place.

I agree with that, however a problem for us living outside of the US is that neither Warm, Brass Are Coming nor Volume 2 are available, even for downloading from ITunes. The "Norwegian" Itunes store efficiently prohibits me to download anything outside the very limited selection offered here (and elsewhere in Europe, as I understand it.) Very disappointing indeed. My only possibility is to contact some of you cornerites in the US and ask you to burn a copy of the downloading and put it in the mail.

- greetings from the very cold and isolated north -
Martin

I would like to register my thoughts on this subject: firstly, I am not really surprised to hear the news that there will no reissue CDs of Warm, Vol2 or TBAC - but I am really, really dissapointed and shocked to read it in black and white! I feel very let down by Herb as I have eagerly bought all of the reissues so far - as have all of us - and to my mind he has badly mistreated all of his fans loyalty. It makes me wonder if he actually DOES visit this Forum? :cry:

martin said:
I agree with that, however a problem for us living outside of the US is that neither Warm, Brass Are Coming nor Volume 2 are available, even for downloading from ITunes.

Hang in there, Martin! :wave: These were released on iTunes only here in the U.S. within the past day or so. As Shout Factory has different licensing agreements with other countries, other download sources will probably take varying amounts of time before they become available in Europe, Japan, etc. So once all of the arrangements are worked out, you will probably be able to download these from your own "local" iTunes or other download service. It's just a matter of licensing details being worked out.

The only good news I can discern from the CD non-releases is that we can get some of the TJB experts on this forum to write liner notes for the three iTunes-only albums, rather than the bozo who did the 2005 reissue notes. I'd gladly volunteer to do the job, but I'm no Alpert expert -- at least not compared to a lot of you. Anyone interested? We need something besides the cover art to put in our homemade CDs!

Tony

When I made my WARM package a few years ago, I put together a booklet which included the album review from here on A&M Corner, plus the review from Allmusic.com, plus all the album's regular credits. It was not quite as detailed as "real" liner notes would have been, but makes for a nice quick read. You might try Googling, you might find a few more articles or something to use.

Harry said:
Oh, and a word of caution to those of you who are now "driving" to WARM for the first time ever. Watch your speed when you get to "Sandbox". That song can tend to give the driver a heavy gas foot, just like "Mexican Road Race" on SRO.
"Marjorine" is the track that does that to me...also "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da," which I can't resist singing along with.

Sorry about my negativity. I certainly am appreciative of all the reissues we've gotten so far, even if the artwork and labeling weren't quite as I would have liked. But a couple of years ago Randy Alpert told the Captain that "All the TJBs would be reissued on CD from LONELY BULL to CONEY ISLAND" and I among others I'm sure figured that coming from Randy it could be taken as gospel. Now, 2 years down the road the albums in question are still not out on CD and the indications seem to be that they won't be. How can anyone blame us for feeling let down? If Herb and Co. and Shout really do read these forums, they've GOT to know how anxiously we're awaiting these titles. Just VOLUME 2 alone has been beaten to death in so many threads. And every favorites related thread to the TJB spells "We want WARM!". How could anyone as skilled in giving the public what they want as Herb is have missed this? If there's anything Herb's camp should derive from reading our threads is that ANY ALBUM OF HIS that is reissued on CD, we WILL buy. He has no reason to have hesitation in releasing any of the TJBs no matter how critical someone might get on this forum. It has been said that the reissue program thus far was in part a result of the posts read on our forum. If at the introduction of this program it had been stated that some of the titles would only be available as internet downloads, perhaps the disappointment would be easier to digest. But after 2 years of letting everything take it's course and being patient this is very hard to swallow. And this is coming from someone who idolizes Herb and has had the utmost respect and affection for him for 4 decades.

So Rudy, I'm sorry if I came across as negative or unappreciative, but after all I just described, this is a big letdown. Now if it's a precursor for later release of these titles on CD, then I'm much more positive and happy. But we've been given no reason to think it will be.

David,
trying to express his disappointment in the most respectful and positive way............

I would be very surprised to find out that the content of this forum has ever served as a basis for business decisions made by any of the parties involved.

IMHO, that is giving an Internet fan forum too much credit...

Maybe this is a way of getting the music out to the public without actually publishing the albums.

I don't really have a problem with it. Download the music from iTunes, and then burn a CD. Voilà.

You have to remember that Herb isn't going to take a loss if a title doesn't sell...Shout! Factory will. They're the ones putting these albums on the market, promoting them, producing them. They're a small company with just a handfull of employees.

If the albums didn't set the world on fire when they first were released, they wouldn't do it now, either...a lot of casual TJB fans probably don't even know they exist.

We live in our own little world here, because we're diehard fans. A lot of people who bought the first round of reissues aren't. It's a disappointment that the albums in question aren't getting the treatment we'd prefer; at least, not at present...but they ARE available. I'd love to have CDs over downloads, too...but all I have of WARM is an old vinyl copy and a few Napster downloads that really suck! Anything is better than that.

I don't want to add any fuel to the fire, but nothing has been mentioned about SUMMERTIME yet, and that's the only TJB album I don't have.

But I can wait.

Dan

And what you have is a compressed CDR, a home made label, a blank jewel case and probably inferior sound quality to a good needle drop. Is THAT what we campaigned all this time for in this and Wendell's forum. Paying for something we could already do potentially better for free? It's no wonder they didn't release these titles as CDs. Enough people here seem to be satisfied with do it yourself CD kits. Am I alone here, or does anyone see how unacceptable this is? Not only for these releases but for music in general. Convenience CAN"T be worth giving up all the art, personal touch and spirit that goes in to legitimate CD and LP releases? If this is the future of the music industry than I feel very sad. Even sadder that there is apparently little resistance to it.

David

Captaindave said:
..snipped..

I don't really have a problem with it. Download the music from iTunes, and then burn a CD. Voilà.

That will be fine for some consumers(fans), however, it's not the same product. Downloaded music isn't comparable to a cd/booklet purchase. The booklet part is obvious, but for some of us who enjoy dabbling in what us old folks call "hi-fi", compressed music is like comparing AM to a Mobile Fidelity LP.(maybe not that drastic, but the same principle).

Per the moderator's request, I'll try to dampen the negativity, but as for myself, these lp's being released on ITunes is a non-event. And the news that there are no plans for the cd release of these, is near-impossible to color as anything other than discouraging. It looks like there is no reward for those of us who went so far as to buy multiple copies of these, hoping to encourage further releases.

Just my .02

In the area of "Incomplete Artwork", I would kindly suggest just putting your CD's--Homemade Burned Ones, or which ever oncoming titles actually come out--in your old, but hopefully well-kept 12" LP covers, as I have in this case...

As far as "the CD becoming obsolete", in reference to the sudden reluctance of furthur titles being reissued, I really hope that isn't so, given that the output I have seen by other artists, A&M and those on other labels, has been severly limited, compared to just a few years ago when an entire artist's or artists' catalog had been put out in that "one fell swoop"...!

I'd say to fill out those cards that come with your new CD purchases and mail 'em in, along with your hopefully friendly request that you'll see more reissued, and at least complement what DID come out that you are enjoying...

I am trying to battle what format I should do my listening in and fighting the oncoming technological advancements in what formats are going to be the norm, enough that whatever I am going to do my listening on, I'll just have to adapt to and be satified with, given that hard copies of stuff, just come and go, along with my fickle interests and the money I have invested in this hobby... (With Nobody-else's support, in my Venture...) :neutral:inkshield:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom