Was this their best TV performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am mesmerized by all Carpenters performances. But this appearance was not near the top of my favorites for a couple of reasons:
1. The setting and outfits for "Santa Clause Is Coming To Town" did not seem very festive.
2. I never cared that much for Perry Como's vocals and I wanted to put a muzzle on him throughout the medley with Karen & Richard. I thought how wonderful it would be to have a complete recordings of "It's Impossible" and "And I Love You So" by the Carpenters as they really enhanced those songs.

How would you rate this performance, did they achieve a higher visual performance which just left you mesmorised ?

They simply looked and sounded in T O P form... again, lamenting that 1974 didn't yield a new LP.... I agree with those who would love an entire version of It's Impossible.... That one is a doozy....

How would you rate this performance, did they achieve a higher visual performance which just left you mesmorised ?

It's Impossible is simply breathtaking (why wasn't a full studio version done?!) and when she sings "Sleep Well, Little Children" it literally transports me to a euphoric, out of this world state. It goes right to my soul, as only Karen can do. Christmas songs were created so Karen Carpenter could sing them.

Am I the only one who cringed when Perry began singing, "Yesterday Once More"?

No you're not. As much as he was revered, he spoiled the selections. I'd rather have heard this as a completed studio medley with Karen and Richard taking the leads on all tracks. That would have been amazing.

No you're not. As much as he was revered, he spoiled the selections. I'd rather have heard this as a completed studio medley with Karen and Richard taking the leads on all tracks. That would have been amazing.

Amen. Although halfway through the medley Perry appears to realize this was a really bad idea as his old hits were taking on a new life with a pair of musical geniuses. Look at Perry's reaction when Richard complete's his performance of "Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes". Ouch!

This performance for TV always captivates me, I would have enjoyed a TV show with Richard and Karen singing their hits with just the piano and that voice.

This to me was Karen and Richard's finest moment on TV, even if it was lip-synced... This was what I would describe as a culmination of their art.

110% agree
This is the way I want to remember them performing, it's just perfection. I wish Richard would put this segment on a DVD for the fans...pay whatever royalties are needed. :laugh: it would be worth it ten fold.

My favorite part of this whole segment is when Karen reached down to put her hand on Richard's shoulder and Richard looks up at Karen...it's so obvious that this part was not rehearsed but something Karen added herself, at least that is how I feel because Richard seems taken for a moment. I find this part so touching....emotionally.

As much as I agree with this, it was impossible (pun intended). It wasn't a Carpenters special, it was a Perry Como special. So no one (and I suspect Karen and Richard might have agreed on this, out of respect) would have done anything to upstage him. Even if, in the end, he was more or less upstaged by the Carpenters' brilliance.

As much as I agree with this, it was impossible (pun intended). It wasn't a Carpenters special, it was a Perry Como special. So no one (and I suspect Karen and Richard might have agreed on this, out of respect) would have done anything to upstage him. Even if, in the end, he was more or less upstaged by the Carpenters' brilliance.

What I meant was I wish they'd come up with this medley on their own for one of their albums and not for the purposes of a special with Perry :)

Chris May recently posted a pristine video of a TV performance which is no longer available. The video was from the Bruce Forsythe Show and the song 'Merry Christmas Darling' I think most of us had to put up with a bad quality video which just didn't do this performance any justice at all. It should be judged as a Carpenters performance even though Richard was unable to perform with Karen. After watching the video that Chris May so kindly shared with us, it really brought home to me what an incredible performance Karen produced, it's now one of my favourite Carpenters TV performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom