• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Was this their best TV performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging from the medley in "Make Your Own Kind of Music", there was certainly no shortage of material for them to record in 1971; imagine an album of just Richard and Karen at the piano! It's a terrible pity they had to spend so much of their valuable time on the road performing. How many concerts were they doing a year? 3oo or so? Ridiculous workload for artists - they weren't machines. Little wonder they both suffered physically and psychologically as their careers progressed.

Judging from the medley in "Make Your Own Kind of Music", there was certainly no shortage of material for them to record in 1971; imagine an album of just Richard and Karen at the piano! It's a terrible pity they had to spend so much of their valuable time on the road performing. How many concerts were they doing a year? 3oo or so? Ridiculous workload for artists - they weren't machines. Little wonder they both suffered physically and psychologically as their careers progressed.

By the same token I think they also wanted to do it. It's only when it started wearing them out that they had no choice but to stop. Interesting to note also that the ridiculous levels of touring stopped as soon as they'd fired Sherwin Bash.

By the same token I think they also wanted to do it. It's only when it started wearing them out that they had no choice but to stop. Interesting to note also that the ridiculous levels of touring stopped as soon as they'd fired Sherwin Bash.

Also ironic that all that touring was between '70-'74 when their success was taking care of itself. I guess Bash would argue it was because of the touring rather than in spite of.

The duo, both being in their 20's at that juncture ! ( I would side with Sherwin Bash---"because of" not "in spite of".)
I wonder how their touring schedule compares/contrasts with other
artists, at that time---those artists who would be in the tier of Carpenters' popularity.
Stated another way---is there an artist who maintains that level (1970-1974) of chart success and sales
quota who doesn't tour--or tour as often ?
At the same time, did record sales spike after each television special ?-- the ones executive produced by Weintraub ?
Was being in the public eye (1976-1980 Television) as successful for record sales as the touring (between 1970-1975 ) ?
Touring or Television--or, both ? Which, if either, impacted record sales?

Selfishly, I am so thankful for their aggressive tour and TV promotion appearances in the 70's as we now have a wealth of videos to enjoy. With Karen gone at such a young age, the videos, photos, interviews are all the more precious. I think of acts like Carly Simon & Steely Dan that have so few 70's videos available. If the Carpenters would have followed that same route, the loss of Karen would have been all the more unbearable as the years pass without her.

I agree, we really do have a lot from Karen from videos to all the albums with Carpenters and then of course her solo album...yet she was so great that even with all that I still hunger for more music from Karen and Carpenters.

Clearly they were conflicted on this. In the Rolling Stone “Up from Downey” article (July 4, 1974), the massive over-touring was taking its toll. After Richard describes an incident from 1972 that sounds like a panic attack, when they had “been out for too long,” he adds this (and Karen agrees with him right there at the end):

What would happen if the group took things at a slower pace?

“I don’t know,” he said, as if he had never given it thought. “It wouldn’t affect record sales or anything. The part we’d have to cut down which we are, bein’ we cut the summer tour – is the concerts. We can’t cut down on recording. We only come out with one album a year anyway, so .... That’s what it would have to be.

“The way I see it, I mean, we have to cut down a little. It was getting to be too much. Now we’ve had the Europe thing, now we have the Japanese thing, and the summer tour before that the April tour, and … yeah, May. It was too much.

“But it’s what we worked for, you know. And we really .... It’s exhausting, and it’s a lotta problems, but I still .... It’s something we like to do. The whole thing is.

“But we have to cut down.”

“I want to start cutting down.”

In terms of one-off performances I quite agree that the Como Christmas special was the best. It was the height of their career (74 going into 75), and probably their physical and mental height as well (I think Richard has said both he and Karen's respective problems started about this time). Karen probably never looked better than this, (knowing of what would happen just nine months or so later in Sep 75, you want to scream at the TV, stop, stop, you are perfect right now), she is just glowing with beauty and vitality (particularly in Sleep Well, Little Children scene). I've always loved the Carpenters' "Santa Claus is Coming To Town", not just as a seasonal song, but to listen to anytime. It's a fantastic arrangement, beautifully sung, and as much as the Carpenters' Christmas music is already fantastic I would have loved to have a whole album of "Santa Claus" like arrangements from Richard.

The medley with Como is great. The C's were great fans of Perry Como and his music and it showed and Como had recorded "Close To You" and "We've Only Just Begun" on his 1970 "It's Impossible Album", as well as "For All We Know" in 1971 for "I Think of You" album, so he was obviously fans of him as well. Portions of their first Christmas special also echo Como's (although Como still had some schtick with Rich Little, it was kept to a minimum and very self-aware, I think if the Carpenter specials had been similar Richard would have better thoughts about them). The great regret coming out of the Carpenters' appearance with Como is that a) he didn't appear on either of their Christmas specials - or on Music, Music, Music where he would have been perfect instead of Davidson and b) Karen never recorded a full version of "And I Love You So" or "It's Impossible" (particularly the latter, the one stanza she does sing is incredible).

My runner-up would be the Carpenters first appearance on Carol Burnett. They really seemed to be having a fun time (even Richard) and Karen loved that stuff (I've always wondered if she would have done more variety shows without Richard if they hadn't been on the road two/thirds of the year). The Bacharach medley with Carol is quite funny and sounds great (CB has a great voice as well).

In terms of full length Carpenters only fare - I'm going to go with the black and white Live in Australia performance, which really gives you a feel of the C's at their peak, with their energy and enthusiasm intact and Karen behind the drums. The contrast with their later performances which were more entertainment Vegas style and Karen's drumming limited to her one solo bit are striking.

This performance for TV always captivates me, I would have enjoyed a TV show with Richard and Karen singing their hits with just the piano and that voice.

Even since I've seen this, I've loved it. I would have paid (and would now) for an entire album of the Carpenters playing their hits or new songs with Richard at the piano and Karen on a stool singing and that's it. In fact, I would have preferred an hour of that over Space Encounters and the second Christmas special (both of which were also in 1978).

JBee, you and I are in complete agreement. Your favorites are my favorites ... and for all the same reasons!

This performance for TV always captivates me, I would have enjoyed a TV show with Richard and Karen singing their hits with just the piano and that voice.

I, too, really like this performance.
For those interested, here's a variation (using portions of the 'Rock and Roll' clip— Thanks, Ned!) that's been spruced up a bit...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebqgn59853qf52q/YOM 720p 59.94 Framed.mp4?dl=0

Note: Use the 'Download' button at Dropbox's site to directly download the file ('YOM 720p 59.94 Framed.mp4', ~23MB). Don't rely on the embedded player that's offered, as it's likely unable to play the 60fps clip without dropping frames.

How special is this TV performance? It just leaves me in complete awe of their talent.

Yes, undeniable talent, and definitely one of my favorite clips. Watching this also gets me thinking about what a watershed this period was for them... They couldn't have imagined at this point how dramatically their lives would change, mere months later.

BTW, those who like the clip but are tired of seeing the BITC (timecode) may find this a little less intrusive:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/va59tx8vnzzf0r9/YAACS 720p 29.97 Framed.mp4?dl=0

('YAACS 720p 29.97 Framed.mp4', ~35MB)

This one is a stand-out for the presentation.

This has got to be one of the best...the dark lighting really adds to the effect. Definitely a good example of Karen's earlier performing abilities. With a voice like that, she didn't need to do anything else. (Especially with this song!)

This to me was Karen and Richard's finest moment on TV, even if it was lip-synced... This was what I would describe as a culmination of their art.

One word - goosebumps. "If the way I hold you can't compare with her caress (caress) no words of consolation will make me miss you le-e-ess.." Wow..they both had so much talent in this video. And through all of Music Music Music, really. This is one of the best, thanks for sharing! :):hugs:

Yes, undeniable talent, and definitely one of my favorite clips. Watching this also gets me thinking about what a watershed this period was for them... They couldn't have imagined at this point how dramatically their lives would change, mere months later.

BTW, those who like the clip but are tired of seeing the BITC (timecode) may find this a little less intrusive:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/va59tx8vnzzf0r9/YAACS 720p 29.97 Framed.mp4?dl=0

('YAACS 720p 29.97 Framed.mp4', ~35MB)
Yes, Close to You hadn't arrived and so they were still just one of many other bands at that point. With one song, they would be one of the most well-known groups in the world.

What's interesting about the Your All-American College show appearance is that not only had they been on the show twice already (and won) back before they got a record deal when they were the RC Trio (and then they would appear on Sullivan's show after hitting it big in 1970), but how quickly and early on (even before CTY) Karen was the face of the band, with Richard literally relegated to the back. Godfrey and Sullivan (two big showbiz names) were mostly only interested in Karen (even though the band was "Carpenters"), which is not surprising since she was the one most comfortable in front of a camera (I realize the irony there considering her later problems) and had the charisma (just like in her previous appearances on that show she let her facial expressions do most of the talking). It does give a reason why Karen let Richard do most of the talking in many interviews (print and radio and even TV), because she knew that most of the interviewers seemed more interested in her and she wanted her brother to get his due.

While I haven't seen everything, and there's so many clips I do enjoy, my favorite has to be the Bacharach medley live at Walter Reed hospital sometime in 1970. The recording isn't the greatest but it always gets me how she shines during the 6 minutes of back to back songs all from behind the kit - time changes, tempo changes, complicated vocal breaks, great songs and flawless singing! and she looks great on top of it!

I tend to always prefer her performances when she's behind the kit - even though it must've been a bigger challenge to do both at once, she's always seems happier and more confident there.

While I haven't seen everything, and there's so many clips I do enjoy, my favorite has to be the Bacharach medley live at Walter Reed hospital sometime in 1970. The recording isn't the greatest but it always gets me how she shines during the 6 minutes of back to back songs all from behind the kit - time changes, tempo changes, complicated vocal breaks, great songs and flawless singing! and she looks great on top of it!

I tend to always prefer her performances when she's behind the kit - even though it must've been a bigger challenge to do both at once, she's always seems happier and more confident there.
I really have to agree with that last sentence. She always looked happier and more at ease behind the drums. I first noticed it during the 1974 Budokan performance. I love seeing pictures of those kind of moments; she was really radiant in those. :agree:

Yes, Close to You hadn't arrived and so they were still just one of many other bands at that point. With one song, they would be one of the most well-known groups in the world.

What's interesting about the Your All-American College show appearance is that not only had they been on the show twice already (and won) back before they got a record deal when they were the RC Trio.....
The RC Trio record deal (1966) preceded the Your All American College Show by about 2 years

The RC Trio record deal (1966) preceded the Your All American College Show by about 2 years

I mean with A&M. I think in 1968 the RCA deal was gone and they were still trying to get a deal with the demos made in Joe Osborn's garage. What I find ironic in their original YAACS appearances is they made enough of an impression to win twice AND Karen herself made such an impression on guest judge John Wayne that he invited her to read for Matty in True Grit, but no record companies saw their appearances (or it made no impression on them) until one of their demos landed in Herb Alpert's lap. At the very least a pretty teenage girl drummer singing lead in a jazz/pop trio on TV had to be a distinctive sight.

It's a shame she had no guidance on what to do with her hands while singing, when she first started singing out from behind the drums. She seemed so stiff and thus we have the 'crunchy arms' dance. If she learned some basic techniques, perhaps it would have helped her image. Or maybe not . . .

Carpenters' A Song For You on TV — a wonderful performance, revisited...

Although I'm sure members here are already very familiar with clips of this '72 performance, some may be interested in the following version that's had some TLC applied:

http://bit.ly/29rMr8U

Note: Ignore Dropbox's embedded player — Use the blue button to direct download the file 'ASFY 720p 59.94 Framed.mp4', ~24MB, instead.

If anyone's player has frame drop/AV sync issues with this 60 fps clip, let me know and I'll also put up a 25/30 fps version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom