• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Was this their best TV performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carpenters' A Song For You on TV — a wonderful performance, revisited...

Although I'm sure members here are already very familiar with clips of this '72 performance, some may be interested in the following version that's had some TLC applied:

http://bit.ly/29rMr8U

I have never seen this so clear. Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
Jonathan

Carpenters' A Song For You on TV — a wonderful performance, revisited...

Although I'm sure members here are already very familiar with clips of this '72 performance, some may be interested in the following version that's had some TLC applied:

http://bit.ly/29rMr8U

Note: Ignore Dropbox's embedded player — Use the blue button to direct download the file 'ASFY 720p 59.94 Framed.mp4', ~24MB, instead.

If anyone's player has frame drop/AV sync issues with this 60 fps clip, let me know and I'll also put up a 25/30 fps version.

"jaysee", if you're the one who did the TLC and put together this video and audio, thanks. It's great. But if I could make one suggestion for a big improvement: reverse the stereo. Richard's piano in this audio is coming from the left, yet he appears on the right. Also the organ sounds come from the right, yet the video shows Mr. Peluso over on the left.

I just tried it locally, reversing the stereo makes the whole experience that much better.

Harry

I have never seen this so clear. Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
Jonathan

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

"jaysee", if you're the one who did the TLC and put together this video and audio, thanks. It's great.
Harry

Thank you. Yes, I did the TLC.

But if I could make one suggestion for a big improvement: reverse the stereo.
Harry

Done! Great suggestion, thanks. The original link now downloads the channel-swapped version.

I actually noticed something 'new' today.
This, while watching Karen's drum sequence on the 1976 BBC Program.
Her Shirt--the Lead Sister shirt--has, written on the back (two lines):
Karen
1/2

I never noticed the "1/2" previously, and I've seen this BBC show many times !

I actually noticed something 'new' today.
This, while watching Karen's drum sequence on the 1976 BBC Program.
Her Shirt--the Lead Sister shirt--has, written on the back (two lines):
Karen
1/2

I never noticed the "1/2" previously, and I've seen this BBC show many times !

I always loved that little touch and took it to mean she was half of the duo :)

The 1974 Perry Como Christmas show will be shown on Get.tv on July 25th, Monday at 10:00 PM EDT. They're doing a "Christmas in July" night. Also a Bing Crosby special and one by Andy Williams.

Here they are performing Top Of The World in October 1972 on The Bob Hope Comedy Special. The original file is clearer. Somehow when I added a fadeout at the end, the file got recompressed and looks a bit softer as a result (I had to do the fadeout because the ending included a second or two of another video).

They were usually better at hiding their lip syncing than that - they were barely pretending to play and I didn't even see mics (unless I missed them). Also the fashions of 72 did them no favors (they seemed to get much better with that or "cooler" in 74-75). The major takeway from me is that there was no need to remove the drums from Karen for her to be front and center (something that became nearly total by their Weintraub-era concerts). Even with the uninspired directing in the Bob Hope special she remains they key figure, even while sitting behind the drums.

They were usually better at hiding their lip syncing than that - they were barely pretending to play and I didn't even see mics (unless I missed them). Also the fashions of 72 did them no favors (they seemed to get much better with that or "cooler" in 74-75). The major takeway from me is that there was no need to remove the drums from Karen for her to be front and center (something that became nearly total by their Weintraub-era concerts). Even with the uninspired directing in the Bob Hope special she remains they key figure, even while sitting behind the drums.

It was a mistake to have Karen sat at the drums for this song, purely because there's virtually no drumming involved. It's a steady hi-hat and bass drum (both played with her feet) all the way, nothing for Karen to do with her hands and nothing to impress audiences with. She should have stayed out front as she did on A Song For You.

I guess practice makes perfect. Her performance of this song while sitting at the drums was much better 6 months later at their White House appearance. I really enjoy their rendition of this song on their 1st tv special in 1976. Karen's personality clicked when the camera was on her.

i`m with motown boy on this. my favourite is `music music music`, which i still watch most days, but i guess any t.v appearance is a hit for me!
have to say one thing though, in the perry como clip, dos`nt Karen look simply beautiful! god what a waste and a loss :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom