1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

What are your all time favorite Jazz recordings and artists of All time?

Discussion in 'Jazz on A&M/CTi/Horizon and Others' started by Bobberman, Jan 21, 2017.

1. DeeInKY

DeeInKY Well-Known Member

Did y'all see the photo of Herb with Joey Alexander at the Grammys? If you've never listened to Joey, check him out. This kid has got it.

Captain Bacardi and Rudy like this.
  2. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Well-Known Member Moderator

That kid is amazing. I saw a feature about him on "60 Minutes" a couple of months back. An incredible talent. If I remember right he learned to play on his own.

Bobberman, DeeInKY and Rudy like this.
  3. For me the all time greatest big band jazz recording is Count Basie's "April in Paris." It's just incredible the way the arrangement keeps building and building to a crescendo at the end. And then of course when the Count says "one more time" and "one more once" is like icing on the cake. Other favorites are Woody Herman's "Four Brothers," Paul Desmond's version of "El Condor Pasa" with an amazing Don Sebesky arrangement, Pat Williams "Mr. Smoke" from his "Threshold" album and Deodato's "The Spirit of Summer."

4. DUH! How could I have forgotten?:

THE ART OF TEA - Michael Franks

Bobberman likes this.
  5. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

That's another artist I like Mostly I consider his early music from the art of tea to the late 80s his prime best in my opinion

toeknee4bz likes this.
  6. Agreed. There are a few I don't have from the early years, most notably BURCHFIELD NINES, the self-titled MICHAEL FRANKS album (a rarity too, I might add), among others. I have ART OF TEA, SLEEPING BEAUTY, TIGER IN THE RAIN, PASSION FRUIT, SKIN DIVE, THE CAMERA NEVER LIES, BLUE PACIFIC and DRAGONFLY SUMMER. After that, it kinda started blurring together... a la all of the other jazz artists/groups who became generic muzak, but what the heck. As I type this, I am listening to Michael Franks' TIME TOGETHER album on You Tube. It's ok, but just like RENDEZVOUS IN RIO, it's just not something I expect to play much.

Bobberman likes this.
  7. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    Franks refers to Burchfield Nines as "the runt of the litter," and I don't think there is really anything radio-worthy on that one. But I do have some favorites. I swore I had mentioned them earlier in this thread but apparently not.

The Art of Tea, Sleeping Gypsy, One Bad Habit, Passionfruit (arguably one of his masterpieces in "mood music"), Blue Pacific, Dragonfly Summer and Abandoned Garden (his tribute to his recently passed friend, Tom Jobim) are tops around here, with Skin Dive and The Camera Never Lies not far behind. The latter two became sort of over-commercialized here since local radio hammered both of these back in the day, and parts of them have not held up well. If anything, The Art of Tea has become one of those classic late-night albums, its quiet simplicity being its greatest strength.

toeknee4bz and Bobberman like this.
  8. Bobberman

On Burchfield nines one track was played on an easy listening station near me which became my favorite song from it the track Dear Little Nightingale is still my favorite I also like Don't be blue ( I don't remember where that is from) I do have his best of which has another favorite The Lady Wants to know.

toeknee4bz likes this.
  9. It just occurred to me that I listed SLEEPING GYPSY as SLEEPING BEAUTY. Oh, well... I was tired when I typed it.

Bobberman likes this.
  10. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    @Bobberman "Don't Be Blue" was from Sleeping Gypsy...or Sleeping Beauty as @toeknee4bz is fond of saying. :D That song followed by "Antonio" is a great album sequence. I may have to spin that one after I get through my other few records queued up tonight.

toeknee4bz and Bobberman like this.
  11. Bobberman

Thank You Rudy I appreciate that.

12. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    BTW, I just remembered that the song "Rainy Night in Tokyo" is actually a first hand account of his own wedding in Japan. Sept. 7 is his and Claudia's wedding anniversary. Classic Franks tune--I always liked the atmosphere on that one. And I like the lyrical touches throughout, like "Paul Desmond on the stereo...". If that doesn't set a mood, I don't know what does. I think Desmond himself described his sound as being like a "dry Martini". :wink:

Bobberman likes this.
  13. How about "Jardin Botanico", from TIGER IN THE RAIN?

14. Bobberman

I like the song Tiger in the rain which I have on a best of cd

toeknee4bz likes this.
  15. Moritat

Moritat Member

My favorite jazz lps (in no particular order) are...

SWEET RAIN / Stan Getz (Verve)
    SOUL MESSAGE / Richard Groove Holmes (Prestige)
    WE AND THE SEA / Tamba 4 (A&M)
    QUIET KENNY / Kenny Dorham (New Jazz)
    ADAMS APPLE / Wayne Shorter (Blue Note)
    LARRY NOVAK PLAYS / Larry Novak (Dot)
    AND ALL THAT JAZZ / Steve Allen (Dot)
    BRASAMBA / Bud Shank (Pacific Jazz)
    ESP / Miles Davis Quintet (Columbia)
    JAZZ SAMBA / Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd (Verve)
    SEVERAL SHADES OF JADE / Cal Tjader (Verve)
    TRIO 65 / Bill Evans (Verve)
    DUSTER / Gary Burton Quartet (RCA)
    CRESCENT / John Coltrane (Impulse)
    INTO THE HOT / Gil Evans (Impulse)
    THE ELMO HOPE TRIO / Elmo Hope (Hifijazz)

Please add to this the following artists... Joe Newman, Eddie Costa, Brew Moore and absolutely anything by Wes Montgomery or Kenny Burrell!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  16. David S

David S Active Member

Anything by Hugh Masekela (but especially TechnoBush, Tomorrow, Uptownship, and Friends with Larry Willis);

Jonas Gwangwa (Flower of the Nation, Songs from Exile).

Caiphus Semenya (several tunes).

Chuck Mangione (I am despeeate for a digital version of Tarantella).

Henry Mancini.

Claude Bolling (any of the crossovers but especially no 2 with Rampal; also, Original Ragtime).

Miles Davis. Kind of Blue.

Ella Fitzgerald. especially A Swingin' Christmas.

Sinatra. Anything but prefer his Reprise work.

Ibrahim Maalouf - check this guy out - esoecially the album with the tune Essentielles.

17. David S

David S Active Member

I'll add one more Masekela, a recent one: Playing @ Work...

18. Bobberman

Recently I've been reviewing my various jazz cds and as i mentioned previously many of the artists others have mentioned here are in my collection i also found my cd copy of GETZ/GILBERTO cd which i forgot I had ( when you have a huge library one forgets those one off classics that hide in between everything else) with the passing of Joe Sample a couple years ago I started listening to his Solo cds as well as his crusaders classics we lost a true musical legend. But thankfully THE MUSIC LIVES ON!..........I also saw Claude Bolling mentioned here I own both of his cds with Rampal and his collaboration with guitarist Alexandre Lagoya from 1976 and the Picnic suite with both Rampal and Lagoya that's a unique collaboration his cds are currently only available as imports or they are out of print but they are well worth getting they are good early experiments in mixing Classical elements and jazz together