• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

What did Richard Carpenter think of the Carpenters' 'squeaky clean' image?

FineArts03

If there are any sources (e.g. videos, websites, books) featuring this information please link them or point me in the right direction!

If there are any sources (e.g. videos, websites, books) featuring this information please link them or point me in the right direction!

I know he said things in both Carpenters’ biographies as well as @Chris May ’s book. As has been said, he hasn’t been silent about his disdain for the handling of their visual image.

BTW, welcome!

Ed

I remember reading an article a LONG time ago. It was about the Carpenters — kind of a look behind the music — and it had a quote from Richard about not liking that image, and he made a point that he had voted in favor of the legalization of marijuana in California. The quote seemed to sudden and out of place that I was convinced that he had added it to purposely strike at their image and act like he could be a cool kid, too.

I remember reading an article a LONG time ago. It was about the Carpenters — kind of a look behind the music — and it had a quote from Richard about not liking that image, and he made a point that he had voted in favor of the legalization of marijuana in California. The quote seemed to sudden and out of place that I was convinced that he had added it to purposely strike at their image and act like he could be a cool kid, too.

Yeah, that image they had was likely well-earned for the most part and Richard was just trying to be “edgy.” That’s just not what they were. Karen tried to be “edgy” a couple of times too on her solo album and it was laughable. They were both essentially “square.” Not a huge deal but A&M took it even further with their marketing decisions.

Ed

Yeah, that image they had was likely well-earned for the most part and Richard was just trying to be “edgy.” That’s just not what they were. Karen tried to be “edgy” a couple of times too on her solo album and it was laughable. They were both essentially “square.” Not a huge deal but A&M took it even further with their marketing decisions.

Ed
True, because at their core K&R really were just two “real nice American kids.” Neither of them lived crazy lifestyles, they never partied - they were just a brother and a sister from the suburbs making music together.

True, because at their core K&R really were just two “real nice American kids.” Neither of them lived crazy lifestyles, they never partied - they were just a brother and a sister from the suburbs making music together.
Yes, and they should have had the brains and courage to embrace (and even flaunt) that decent, wholesome image - their millions of fans worldwide loved them just the way they were and wouldn't have wanted them to change or be any different at all. It was only a small handful of drug-addled, no-nothing, mean-spirited, small-minded music critics and industry insiders that slammed them for being "real nice American kids" - what kind of f**ked up world is it when conduct standards are that messed up that wholesome equals uncool and being a scumbag equals very cool?

Their image bothered them because they let it - they weakly and thoughtlessly accepted their critics irrational standards - they should have been bold and brave and very proud of themselves and displayed that constantly - they have no one to blame but themselves.

Back
Top Bottom