What If...?

What if KC and RC never got actual success with CTY, Carpenters, or ASFY? Would they have disbanded just like the Richard Carpenter Trio or Spectrum? Would they possibly go in debt because of the lack of success?

If Karen were alive and well today, I wonder what her opinion would be about present day pop music and the pop music business. What would she have thought of the digital revolution and how it has affected the way that pop music is packaged, marketed, and sold? To what extent would Karen and Richard have used present-day recording technology to further enhance their sound?

Hopefully they wouldn't wind up doing cruise ship gigs or playing the 3am lounge show at Slots Of Fun in Vegas.

Hopefully they wouldn't wind up doing cruise ship gigs or playing the 3am lounge show at Slots Of Fun in Vegas.

I doubt it. The Carpenters had amassed enough wealth and general goodwill for that to be unnecessary. I do wonder if they would have explored working with younger musicians as other veterans such as Elton John and Paul McCartney have.

WHAT IF .....

Richard had died instead of Karen :?:. What direction would her career have taken? Would there be as much interest in Richard after his death today as there is of Karen?

If Karen had always been healthy and Richard ended up dying due to his drug addiction - and assuming it took him down over time as he got worse and worse - then there would, in my view, be some interest, as there is with many other artists who have died young at their own hands. But not as much as Karen, simply because she was the face of, and reason for most of the adoration of, the Carpenters, and the cause of her death had such a large impact on the future of eating disorders.

I think some artists of yore do so because they blew their money, but some because they simply love to play to an audience who still appreciates them. I think the latter likely applies to Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues. I love his songs and still listen to Moodys and his solo music.

Carpenters would likely have had a more lasting career life, and who here wouldn't want to go see them now!!

Back
Top Bottom