What's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dub45

Apologies if this has been asked before but are any more TJB albums scheduled for release by Shout Factory?

Herb's solo album RISE is coming up, along with a remixed version of the WHIPPED CREAM album. A box set has been discussed but is still in the talking stages as far as we know. (It had been rumored for a Christmas '05 release, but that ain't happening!) Beyond that, no news on future Herb material yet. I emphasize "yet."

As for SUN DOWN LADY, it has been released on CD but only in Japan. It's now out of print, but if you watch eBay you can find it occasionally. (Prepare to spend $$ though.)

I'm worried about next year's releases. It seems we would have heard something by now. The remix album is the only thing left on the schedule that we know about. I sure hope that's not the end of it.

I don't know, my guess is that with the retail invisability of the reissues so far, I doubt we'll see more than RISE and maybe KEEP YOUR EYE ON ME. I don't know when Universal's claim to the DEFINITIVE HITS compilation ends, but maybe there will be another "hits" package. I just don't find the Shout Factory reissues on more than 2 store shelves. Ebay sells more than anyone else, as far as I know.

I find the whole situation very puzzling - don't misunderstand me, I am so grateful to Herb and Shout! for what they have given us so far - but why cut it dead now? There could have been so much more to come - the situation with Volume 2 is just impossible to believe - come on Herb - if it's true that You view the threads then You know what we want - even if You dislike the album so much just do this one thing for Your fans! And what about Warm and TBAC? Did You dislike those too? I don't see how You can re-release the catalogue with all these glaring gaps. The releases so far have been well received and probably selling very well - it's all very puzzling.Would have been nice to have "Greatest Hits" and "America" too.

Disgruntled Dave.

Technically, there isn't even a remix CD or box set in the "plan". Remember, the original batch of discs that were advertised on the promo poster have been released, in full. If they're planning a second wave, it may take some time to get it in motion, both on the artist's end as well as the record company. Everyone may be waiting until the end of the year to see how the current wave sold, before committing to a second round of titles.

As for the retail side...I could have predicted hardly anyone would stock it. I lucked out finding some at Border's, and the local chain near us had the first three titles in stock on release day. But for just about anything, the days of brick and mortar music stores is just about over for niche releases. Everyone that can, is ordering what they want online. Thank goodness we have that, or I don't think we'd have ever seen these reissues at all!

And to be honest, the TJB reissues have been treated no better AND no worse than any other 60s artists' "catalog" titles (in the same general category of music...IOW, not Beatles, Stones, etc.). There were some good sales spikes on Amazon when the titles came out, and "Whipped Cream" has 'whipped' all the other titles, sales-wise, from what I've seen. And "Definitive Hits" is still a seller...no doubt when Universal's deal runs out, we'll get a better compilation or two. :thumbsup:

Wal Mart stores in the Pensacola area have been stocking The TjB's Christmas album but that's it. The only place in town, that I know of, that is stocking the Shout Factory releases is Best Buy and they're expensive.

Tom (praying for more TjB re-issues and/or a to die for Box Set) :D

Rudy said:
Remember, the original batch of discs that were advertised on the promo poster have been released, in full. If they're planning a second wave, it may take some time to get it in motion, both on the artist's end as well as the record company. Everyone may be waiting until the end of the year to see how the current wave sold, before committing to a second round of titles.

Agreed. Everyone should sit back, relax, and rejoice in the fact that 2005 has brought us the remasters that we got.

Take a chill pill
chillpill.gif
, and put on one of the great TjB remasters that came out this year. Thrill yourself with SOUNDS LIKE, and NINTH, two titles that have never before seen a CD release. Enjoy SRO, a title which only saw a limited (and pretty bad) Japanese release before. And as you engage in your holiday festivities, throw on the TjB CHRISTMAS ALBUM and revel in its sonic pleasures.

In short, as Bing Crosby and Irving Berlin remind us yearly in the movie WHITE CHRISTMAS, "Count Your Blessings".

Harry
...preparing for the office Christmas party, online...

I've done as Harry suggested and taken quite a few "chill pills" regarding this topic. I am just "over the moon" grateful for what has been released so far and glad that I can buy them online........it sure beats having to pay the airfare to USA to buy them (if I could find them lol).

Yes, I'm very happy with what has been done...

The only parts of this venture that are missing for me are WARM and VOLUME 2. I'd like to see those two get out yet.

If I were in charge of this project, it would be my opinion that the first ten albums - LB to BOTB - were the "biggies" - the ones for which there would be the biggest potential audience and which have the music that is most widely remembered by the general public. These were the recordings from the artist's peak of popularity.

I think it's time for Captain Bacardi, to take another vacation and visit Randy Badazz (who is a real class act) and find out what's up.

All in favor, say "aye"

Sounds good. Everyone PayPal their money to the Captain to finance the trip! :laugh:

FWIW, Randy does read the boards and if there were any news, I'm sure we'd have it.

Mike said:
I think it's time for Captain Bacardi, to take another vacation and visit Randy Badazz (who is a real class act) and find out what's up.

I wouldn't mind taking another trip out there, but I doubt it would do a lot of good. Randy isn't involved with the reissues, and he says he doesn't even bring it up when he sees Herb. Herb is in complete control of the reissues, and it's Herb (not Shout! Factory) who decides what gets released and when. So all of the whining and complaining about what hasn't been reissued yet (that some are doing) isn't going to affect Herb's decision. So as Harry eloquently suggested everyone just needs to relax and chill and enjoy what's been released so far. There will be more coming out, we just don't know what or when it will happen - yet.

Capt. Bacardi
...pouring a stiff drink, online... :santa:

Maybe we need to take a cue from George Carlin's most recent album title, and open a forum called "Complaints and Grievances." :D

Taking Harry's suggesting above, I was listening to NINTH tonight. What a great album. I remember I didn't like "A Banda" all that much when I first heard it, but now it's evolved into one of my favorites. I think it's the Wechter marimba on that track that does it for me.

Mike said:
...I think it's time for Captain Bacardi, to take another vacation and visit Randy Badazz (who is a real class act) and find out "what's up..."

Well, stuff me in a suit case and take me along! :laugh: I look forward to more stuff coming out, too, but I think I will enjoy what we have. I would just as much like to see Sandpipers titles come out, as well as Claudine's Run Wild, Run Free...

Dave

...who would take my "chill pill", but I think there might be a recall on them; tune into my Krayola Korner for more details! :freak:

Yup, I am more than grateful for what Herb and SF have done. If it ends with these, I couldn't ask for more.

I've always felt that it all starts and ends with Herb himself and if you follow the pattern since the late 1970's, you know how he feels about certain titles. Usually, it's the sales figures that give a favorable reaction, but sometimes there's titles that Herb just doesn't feel as strongly about.

By 1976, S.R.O., SOUNDS LIKE, NINTH, WARM, THE BRASS ARE COMIN' and SUMMERTIME were all removed from the A&M catalog. Less than spectacular sales was probably the reason for the deletion of the last three titles, but with the first three, that almost HAD to have been Herb's decision, since they were all top 5 albums. By 1979, YOU SMILE... & CONEY ISLAND were gone too (both not great sellers).

But if you look at compilations that have been released domestically (SOLID BRASS, FOURSIDER, GREATEST HITS VOL. 2, CLASSICS & DEFINITIVE HITS) you'll find that the out of print albums are always only represented by only one or two songs, if they're represented at all. Usually it's songs from WHIPPED CREAM, GOING PLACES and WHAT NOW MY LOVE that take the most space. And that makes sense as all were great albums and sellers, which is the perfect combination for TJB fans and Herb himself.

As for the solo outings, I've said before that Herb seemed to have distanced himself completely from what was released between 1976 and 1978 (with the exception of the very brief reissue of the 1978 HERB & HUGH album). As for the post-RISE era, Herb knows that, with a few exceptions in 1982 and 1987, his releases fell in to that "taken for granted" category and really didn't sell that well. Hopefully a good 1976-1999 compilation will come out eventually.

Regardless of what happens, I'm more happy now than I ever thought I could be in say, 2003.

Let's pause for a moment to consider the fact that Herb Alpert's career spans many, many years. But, public attention to an artist may only last for a brief time, and will be strongest when the artist is at the popularity peak. The fact that mass public attention to Herb Alpert lasted for perhaps seven years or so back in the sixties is longer than many, if not most, pop artists.

Here's what I mean...

IMO, and speaking for myself, I have always been a big Herb/TJB fan. All of the albums from LB to BOTB are top favorites for me. Times change and tastes change, but I did not change along with them. So, when I listen to Herb today, it isn't COLORS or NORTH ON SOUTH STREET or any of the other techno, disco, or urban influenced material. I still listen to Taste of Honey or Flamingo, or maybe So What's New or More and More Amor.

By the late seventies/eighties, I think that Herb lost a great deal of his fan base from the sixties. I think there are many, many people who knew the name Herb Alpert as a household name back in the sixties, who, by the late seventies/eighties had completely lost track of Herb Alpert.

I believe that many of Herb's fans from the sixties have lost track of Herb over the ensuing decades. I can think of many people who can still sing the melody of Tijuana Taxi or Spanish Flea, but have no idea what Herb has been doing for the last 25 or 30 years.

Being played constantly on the radio was a big factor back in the sixties. Today, radio is so fragmented and specialized that the places where you heard Herb back then either don't exist anymore or have been relegated to insignificance. Much has changed in the last four decades.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if Herb's possible reluctance to reissue Warm and TBAC may relate to his personal dissatisfaction with his declining prowess on the trumpet (a situation long since reversed, of course.) I remember being impressed with the daring departure Warm represented from the "classic" TJB sound, but I couldn't really embrace the album solely because --it seemed to me -- that Herb was having real problems with his horn. I suppose my dream would be to have Warm reissued as originally released, AND (same CD) with all newly recorded trumpet parts by Herb. Question for Captaindave, and anyone else who wishes to comment: When does it become apparent that Herb's trumpet playing is IMPROVING, following his late 60's difficulties?

I suppose my dream would be to have Warm reissued as originally released, AND (same CD) with all newly recorded trumpet parts by Herb.
I think the sound of WARM has a lot more to do with the style of Herb's playing than any "declining prowess" on the trumpet. That album is played in a more laid-back, carefree easygoing style than the heyday-period albums. If the trumpets on WARM were played in the more upfront style of the trumpets on GOING PLACES, for example, they'd sound .... wrong. WARM is a laid-back album with laid-back trumpets.

Herb is a businessman. It isn't a cheap endeavor to reissue an album. If there's any reason for holding back the later albums, it almost has to be business combined with artistic. Herb's probably checking the Shout Factory sales of NINTH, for example. Can't expect WARM or SUMMERTIME to sell any more than NINTH would, so if NINTH (a platinum album) didn't sell well in reissue, the others may not see the light of day. If those albums remind Herb of a difficult period he was going through, all the more reason to write off the albums and cherry-pick the "best parts" for a box set.

I don't think there is any point in speculating about some possible reluctance on Herb's part on releasing more albums. The fantastic releases that we had in 2005 are more than could be expected for any release program of the quality held by the "Herb Alpert Signature Series" in one year only. I think we should have high hopes for the future.

- greetings from the snowy north (where we'll have a white Christmas for sure)-
Martin

I've always thought Herb's playing on the post-BOTB albums was just due to his trying to change up the sound. Musically, he demonstrates it with "Carmen." This classical piece almost clashing with sounds of the "usual" Tijuana Brass sound. "My Favorite Things" combines interludes of a lush chorus and piano piece, interrupted by the "usual" Tijuana Brass sound and "Moon River" starts out happy go lucky, mutates to a big band song and then goes straight to the TJB formula. I think he was making a statement that he didn't want to be tied to the TJB sound forever. That's the way I've always heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom