When the Music Changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark

I am a fan of Herb Alpert and the Tiujana Brass. While I repect Herb for his accomplishments after the Brass period, I don't have much interest in the music he produced after 1968.

At one time, I was an avid fan, buying every record and catching every TV appearance from the start of 1966 to the second Special in 1968, but my interest gradually waned so that by the time I started college in the fall of 1968, I don't think I ever gave him another thought.

Several times since then, I either dusted off my old albums or made a tape to play in my car, but last Christmas, I took another listen to his music and rediscovered my fondness for it.

I have been a watcher on this forum and others and have learned a lot about Herb Alpert and his music. I have collected the rest of his albums through to Coney Island.

First of all, my taste in music changed. Like so many things in life, it was driven by sex. In 1965, when Whipped Cream and A Taste Of Honey came out, I was a shy,skinny, acne prone 15 year old, on foot (I was too old to ride a bike!), just starting high school. I had a disposable income of $1.50 per week. (An allowance). Comic books and music were my main interests. By the time SRO came out, I was a shy, skinny, acne prone 16 year old high school junior, capable of driving a car, with a job and a disposable income of between $10 and $15 per week. I was ripe to start dating and girls soon replaced comics as my main interest. It did not take me long to discover that the Herb's music was not played at our school dances. So gradually, I became more interested in rock and roll.

The second factor is that the sound of the Brass changed. Througout Herb's long career, his music has evolved. I have tried to pinpoint when that change was made, and I think I have found it.

I recently made my own box set, buring tracts on cds. I have made my own version of Greatest Hits, but I have also burned complete albums. I made one that included all the songs from What Now My Love and SRO, and when played that CD, I found when the change started - it started with SRO.

IMHO, you can take South of the Border, Whipped Cream, Going Places and What Now My Love and group them together as the classical Tijuana Brass. All of the songs are somewhat interchangable in the sense that you could move any one of them from one album to another and they would not sound out of place. The style from this period is characterized by a mixture of Spanish sounds and rhythms, mixed with a health dose of American Jazz - Ameriachi it was called. The sound was unique due to several elements - a rich flowing, dominating trumpet; the Spanish swirl, the twin harmony of two trumpets; and backround provided by maracas, marimbas and mandolins, along with guitars. Many of the songs were played with mucho gusto!

Play the second side of What Now My Love, with Cantina Blue, Brasilia, Five Minutes More and the Shadow of Your Smile and you will hear all of these characteristics. Play the first few tracks of SRO and you will immediately notice the difference. The horn has retreated somewhat and the backgound sounds have come more to the front. There is less of the Spanish influence and more diversified jazz sounds including the banjo. Several of the tracks, like Mame, feature the former style but as a group the sound of the songs on this album are different from the albums that came before. SRO, Sounds Like, Herb Alpert's 9th and a Beat of the Brass can be grouped together in what I call the neo-classical period. A lot of good songs and several great arrangements, but the sound continues to deteriorate. The trumpet becomes choppy and increasingly muted compared to the other instruments. The tempo becomes more MRO - in those last 4 albums, find one song played with the exuberance of Walk Dont Run, Tijuana Taxi, Brasilia or Five Minutes More. They just are not there. As the sound changed, I lost interest, and I have to say, so did a lot of other fans.

I think by 1968, Herb wanted to distance himself from the Tijuana image, and was interested in a dual career, both as a band leader and a single performer. His record business was growing and he had to have less time to focus on the TJB part of his career. Couple that with some personal issues, and it is no wonder that the band did not sound the same, as Herb was the key to everything they did.

For a brief period of time, 1965 thru the end of 1966 at least, Herb was in a groove that dominated American music like few others have. He started to slip, and with the exception of a couple of hits and near misses since then, he has never been able to find that groove again.

It is quite a pity, as I think about all the great songs that would have benifited from the TJB treatment of the bold brass horn, Spanish rhythms and sounds and some real exhuberance and class.

You have made some very interesting comments, especially as to the evolution of the sound of the TJB and the categorization of time/recordings, description of stylistic periods, etc.

I began to listen to the TJB in about 1966 with the Going Places album. I had heard the Lonely Bull as a single prior to that time, but like you, my interests in music during the earlier TJB period - say about 1963 - 1965 were pretty much exclusively the Top 40 rock type songs of the time, which had been dominated by the British sound and the copying of that sound by American groups.

When I began to develop as a trumpet player and take the instrument seriously - school year 1965/1966, 9th grade for me - I started to notice Herb Alpert and that entire sound and recordings. By 1967 and high school, I found myself involved in a small band playing TJB songs - it was an outgrowth of the high school band to which we all belonged. So, my peak interest in the TJB was happening in my junior/senior years in high school - 1967/1968 and 1968/1969. By this time, many of the TJB recordings had already been made and it would have been Herb's 9th and Beat Of The Brass that would have been contemporary with my main interest in the group. All of a sudden, I found myself interested in all the TJB music, all the way back to the Lonely Bull... My first opportunity to see the group in concert was in August, 1968.

You might even say that after 1968 and This Guy's In Love With You, the TJB began its decline into obscurity as a major player on the sixties musical landscape, so to speak.

I also have come to identify Herb so much with the Tijuana Brass that I have never been able to gain the same momentum of interest in the solo projects in the post TJB era. However, this is not due to a lack of respect for his work; rather, it is more for personal and subjective reasons that have nothing to do with music or Herb himself...

I agree that the period 1962 - 1969 is characterized by an evolving and changing pattern of style and sound and song and arrangement and focus, etc... There are definitely some differences as time goes on, and I think your comments are as good as any as to the nature of these changes...

In my earlier post, I used the term "deteriorate" to describe the changes in Herb's music after 1966. That was too harsh. In place of that word, sub the phrase "become less interesting to me". Some of the songs from albums like the 9th and Beat of the Brass are very good. I particularly like "Panama", but as a group, they do not "stir my soul" like the sound of the classical Brass era.

Any idea on what influences led Herb to change his winning formula?

I have always thought that a change in trumpet style and tone began to be heard in the SRO album and was fully accomplished by the SOUNDS LIKE album, but I do not know why.

I will offer these comments:

When my group first started, we were playing TJB tunes exclusively. After while, we began to find that we could write arrangements to other kinds of songs and play them also with the same instrumentation. It did allow the group to grow musically, and while we continued to play and even add to our TJB repertoire, the addition of other material allowed us to diversify and have greater performance opportunities. Some of the members of the group wanted this diversification and found it helped to keep the interest growing and prevent stagnation. We also enjoyed other kinds/types of songs, and wanted to try to perform them as well as TJB.

I have always thought that Herb has been trying to do something similar throughout his career. In other words, to diversify, explore, expand, and broaden his musical and artistic "repertoire", so to speak. Also, I think Herb wanted to sense and pursue changes in musical tastes, and to find his place in the evolution of things as time went by.

The "Mariachi" tone and style probably wouldn't fit the updating and expanding sound, style, and repertoire of the group, and he may have chosen to adopt a more jazz style sound and tone. If you compare the songs and style of the first couple recordings with what came in the later sixties, there has been a considerable stylistic change from Mexican/Mariachi to much more of a jazz/pop influenced sound. I don't know - just guessing...

Another theory that I have had at times is that Herb's embouchure was beginning to tire - a not uncommon problem for a trumpet player - and that he was showing the effects of a need to take some extended rest and allow the embouchure to recover. I have no idea whether this has any validity, but I know from my own experience that there are times when I was not able to get a good tone and play effectively, and I had to put the horn down for awhile and rest.

Regardless of the explanation, or even if one can be found, I agree that there are some changes in the sound that began to be heard about the time of SRO. I feel that was definitely a transition album from Mexican/Mariachi sound to more jazz/pop. The albums from SOUTH OF THE BORDER through WHAT NOW MY LOVE have more in common in terms of sound, style, and songs selection than what came later. Whether it was intentional or not, I cannot say.

In addition, by the time of SRO, I believe the TJB as a touring and concert performing act was in full operation. I have always thought it interesting that the group is pictured in the bull ring on the back of WHAT NOW MY LOVE and on SRO, the photo is from a grandstand at the Pennsylvania fair in Allentown. In other words, from the bull ring to the concert stage...

One other comment and that is that I think that each and every album in the TJB recording history has something about it that sets it apart from its immediate predecessor. There is a gradual evolution and change from what come before with each successive album. For example, although GOING PLACES is the album that immediately preceded WHAT NOW MY LOVE, and even though there is a continuing similarity in overall sound - at least to my ears - there is a change that can be heard. Perhaps it is the choice of songs that accounts for it. But those two albums have, for me at least, very different sounds, if you will, even though the overall playing and sound of the musicians who are on the recording is very similar...

Captaindave said:
. For example, although GOING PLACES is the album that immediately preceded WHAT NOW MY LOVE, and even though there is a continuing similarity in overall sound - at least to my ears - there is a change that can be heard. Perhaps it is the choice of songs that accounts for it. But those two albums have, for me at least, very different sounds, if you will, even though the overall playing and sound of the musicians who are on the recording is very similar...

To me, Going Places was always more festive and a lot more fun than the albums that followed...probably why it's remained one of my favorites after all these years.

The word "festive" is a good choice to describe GOING PLACES-a very upbeat and happy "feel" to that album. That mood, so to speak, was not recaptured in albums which followed, IMO.

This suggests an interesting idea...anyone feel in the mood for some vocabulary "exercise?" Can you apply a single descriptive word to each TJB album from Lonely Bull to Brass Are Comin'?

"Festive" is a good one for GOING PLACES...I'll need to think about this...
I think I'd say "Jazzy" for BEAT OF THE BRASS...

I think the evolution of the TJB sound was gradual. I don't think Herb's intention was to form a Mariachi band. "The Lonely Bull" was a hit, Jerry Moss nicknamed the recording moniker The Tijuana Brass and attempts were made to capitalize on that sound and produce another big hit. I don't think another big hit single came for several years because "The Lonely Bull"'s unique sound was somewhat of a novelty for Top 40 radio. That hit came on the heels of Bob Moore's "Mexico" and the Mariachi sound was kind of played out after that. I think Herb was more interested in jazz and wanted to incorporate that style into the TJB. The first modification produced "A Taste Of Honey" which was a perfect MOR single for radio at the time. "Going Places" was a more adventurous album and Herb was continuing to evolve as an arranger. I notice another change with "What Now My Love" albeit a slight one. You can hear in the title song, the Brass incorporating jazzier inflections into the music. I think everything that you guys have said about the main changes starting in "S.R.O" is right on. I never thought that "S.R.O" or "Sounds Like" were nearly as strong as their predecessors. While both albums contain a lot of great songs, they both seemed, in retrospect, rather rushed to me, from the choice of cover versions to the album artwork. I think this began the decline of the TJB with pop radio, although modest hits kept coming. "Ninth" seemed like a step in the right direction, but I think radio was somewhat put off by the choice of "Carmen" as a single. It still seems like an odd choice to me. I really believe there would have been no more hits had it not been for "This Guy's In Love With You". That song took everyone by surprise and I believe that it was a hit because it was a terrific record, not just because it was by Herb Alpert. I don't think "Beat Of The Brass" would have topped the charts had it not been for "This Guy's" massive popularity. The next two albums moved further into a jazz influenced realm, and of course, "Warm" was heavy on the Brazilian accent. Both albums were excellent but I think, once again, single choices kept the Brass off of a lot of Top 40 playlists. "To Wait For Love", "Without Her", and "You Are My Life" (as well as "The Christmas Song") were all promoted as radio singles. They are all fine songs, but met resistance at radio. I think people still thought of Herb as an instrumentalist and it seems like A&M tried too hard to produce another mega-hit vocal a la "This Guy's". I believe that without the oversaturation of romantic vocals, songs like "Cabaret", "Slick" and "Zazueira" might have been bigger hits.
When I was a kid my family listened to "The Lonely Bull" and "Greatest Hits" on 8-track in the car almost constantly. Then one day my dad bought "Warm" and it just put me off. I remember it was only played once in the car! I tried to listen to it again at home but, being only familiar with pre-"What Now My Love" Brass, I couldn't get into it.
After all these years though, I would list "Warm" as my favorite of Herb's albums next to "Going Places".

Captaindave said:
This suggests an interesting idea...anyone feel in the mood for some vocabulary "exercise?" Can you apply a single descriptive word to each TJB album from Lonely Bull to Brass Are Comin'?

"Festive" is a good one for GOING PLACES...I'll need to think about this...
I think I'd say "Jazzy" for BEAT OF THE BRASS...

Lonely Bull: toro!
South Of The Border: wall-of-sound (OK, a hyphenated cheat :D )
Whipped Cream: tasty :D
Warm: warm (what else could it be? :wink: )

"The Lonely Bull" - brazen.
"Volume 2" - lighthearted.
"South Of The Border" - progressive.
"Whipped Cream" - sexy. :tongue:

I think that you have to consisder the general music scene when you examine the catalogue of TJB albums...nothing ever exists in a vacuum. By late 1966 or so, the music scene was much less "international" than it was just a couple of years earlier, and the mariachi scene had played itself out, for the most part. The AC scene was becoming more jazz oriented, and the TJB was at the forefront with SRO...

I'm a little biased, because SRO has always been my personal favorite TJB album...to me, Herb reached his peak as a band leader here...the arrangements are some of his best ever...the jazz-flavored tunes, I WILL WAIT FOR YOU; FLAMINGO; DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART...the mariachi-flavored ones, BLUE SUNDAY, FOR CARLOS, FLEA BAG...are some of the best examples of these types of songs in the TJB discography. The sound is a little more uptown, and just a bit more elegant...maybe a little more sophisticated, but it's STILL the best TJB ever, to me...

It may not have been quite so fresh, but it was still definitely exciting...and the original flavor was still there...it just wasn't as new as it was a couple of years earlier. And the music scene was different, as well...not so festive, more introspective...songs like A WALK IN THE BLACK FOREST weren't being written , but songs like I WILL WAIT FOR YOU were, and that's what needed to be played...so that's what went on the records.

Sometimes I think that Herb's greatest talent isn't his ability to turn out a great tone poem, but that it's his ability to adapt to the music scene as it evolves. He's always been a risk taker and an innovator...and he's filthy rich, to boot...none of his albums really fell flat...and THAT says volumes about the man, to the max... :wink:

Dan

Have to agree with most of what is said here. And for me it seemed that the change in sound began with "What Now My Love." It wasn't so much the songs that were chosen, but the arrangements. There was much less of a mariachi sound on this LP. With each LP that followed, it appeared to diminish even more.

I do have to admit, however, that "Sounds Like" and "9th" are two of my favorite Herb LPs. "In a Little Spanish Town" on "Sounds Like" revisits the earlier TJB sound (as heard on albums like "Going Places," which is also one of my favorite LPs). And as I get older I find that I like the "Warm" LP more and more. It has sort of grown on me through the years.

Still, of all the transitions Herb and the TJB went through, I liked their initial sound the best. It's what got me hooked and kept my heart thumpin.'

Elena

First ofall, I agree with what has been said about What Now My Love. I played it tonite, and several songs sound like they would have fit perfectly on Going Places, some could have been on SRO.

I think there were several factors that account for the change. One is the normal evolution of the sound of a group. Look at the Beatles and thier music in 1964 vs. thier sound in 1968. Creative people change over time.

Another factor is time and work load. The Lonly Bull came out in 1962, Volume 2 in 1963, South of the Border in 1964 and Whipped Cream in 1965. Four albums in 4 years.with almost all the activity limited to the studio. At the same time, the Baja Marimba Band was launched as a kind of mirror image of the Brass, only focused on the marimba,. With Going Places, Herb started producing two albums a year, and in addition started touring and making appearances on television. A&M started to grow rapidly. With all this going on, it is no wonder his lips got tired! I think the early albums were labors of love and reflect the additional time that went into producing them. The later albums have a little more mass produced feel.

One other thought I would like to share. One of the great things about buying a new TJB album was the pleasure of finding the many great songs that you never heard on the radio. For example, on Whipped Cream, I remember how I marveled at Green Peppers and Bittersweet Samba, and on South of the Border, I loved the Brass version of All My Lovin. Great music, and I find it as fresh today as I did decades ago.

I read in an interview that was done with Herb Alpert that he wanted the records produced by A&M Records to give the customer their money's worth. In other words, all the songs should count and that the customer should not simply end up buying an album with just a hit single and the rest as basically "throw away" songs, or what you might call "filler."

I have always felt that all my TJB albums pretty much are reflective of that kind of philosophy. I have always enjoyed each entire album, and felt that the whole album contained good songs.

Some of my favorite TJB songs have been ones that never made the radio airplay or Top 40 lists, but were part of the albums that other artists might have considered as "filler."

I think the two albums with the most interchangeable songs are SRO and SOUNDS LIKE. Heck, the covers are even almost the same color! I find the trumpeting starting with those albums to be more "carefree," like he wasn't trying as hard -- maybe he was influenced by jazz scatting techniques or something. (Listen to the intro of "Gotta Lotta Livin' To Do," for example.)

Even though they all have many great moments, those two albums plus NINTH clearly show signs of "coasting" but I think the BEAT OF THE BRASS album really wakes things up. The production is back on track and the playing, while still not as energetic as on the Big 3 (WHIPPED CREAM thru WHAT NOW MY LOVE) is still more fired-up than on the three between.

The arrangements are better too -- "Talk to the Animals" notwithstanding. The work of Bob Edmondson is especially strong on that album. I never get tired of listening to the trumpet/trombone intertwining on "Monday Monday." That's a killer arrangement IMHO. Julius Wechter gets a lot of room to breathe on "Slick" and "Panama," among others. And then, not too much later, came the amazing WARM album, containing the song everyone must know by now is my favorite TJB tune.

I tend to agree with what most are saying here, though I can't say I liike one TJB "era" more or less than another. They're all great in their own way for different reasons.

As for style evolving I tend to think of them in pairs (or trios at a couple points). Lonely Bull and Volume 2 are virtually identical in style and content. While others like to lump Whipped Cream & Other Delights with its two follow ups as a "mighty threesome" I prefer to pair it with its predescessor, South Of The Border. Both were strikingly different than the first two LPs, but similar in style -- and both still relied on studio musicians (or at least were done before a "touring TJB" was hired -- as there's plenty of evidence that the men we know as the TJB were not always on every cut of every recording session through out the TJB's career). The next pair I like to call the "Blue Couplet" of SRO and Sounds Like. I much prefer Sounds Like over SRO ("Work Song" being the only track I like on the whole LP). For me next a "trio" consisting of the "Green Couplet" of Ninth and Beat Of The Brass and the "Pink Singlet" Warm. All three show a maturity of music as well as evolvement completely away from the "Ameriachi" roots that started it all (I exclude the TJB Christmas Album as a seasonal "thing" in my breakdown). Brass Are Comin' and Summertime I pair together as the music feels as if the band is just going through the motions at that point (though many of my favorite tunes are on those two LPs). I am often tempted to put BAC in a pair with Warm then considering the "Green Couiplet" its own pair and making Summertime a trio with the two "Comeback LPs", You Smile -- The Song Begins amd Coney Island, mainly because the non-LP "Fire And Rain" fits both the feel of the Summertime LP and YS-TSB (being the b-side of YS-TSB's first pre-LP single "Last Tango In Paris.")

Once I get to the solo era stuff I often feel like Just You And Me should be with the two "comeback LPs" as it fits with neither the two Masekela collaborations nor the disco-fied Rise and Beyond. But the solo stuff I'll save for a later post... In any case I was rarely "thrilled" (or "jazzed"?) with anything from the Wild Romance LP or after it...

--Mr Bill

OK, here I go, please bear with me...

I'd put Lonely Bull and Volume Two together for the same reasons as above - style and content.

South of the Border begins a difference - still has the distinctly Mexican influence, but I hear a little more "pop" sound starting to creep in here and there. To me, it has more of the sound of an organized band being recorded, although it is understood that it was still a studio project. I think there is a similarity of sound between South of the Border and What Now My Love in some ways. What I am referring to is that I am hearing more of a "wall of sound." There is a bigger, fuller sound with less in the way of open spaces that can be heard in the first two albums at times. The sound seems more dense and structured - like a band or orchestra with more parts playing at the same time...

Going Places has more of the big, full sound like South of the Border and What Now My love, but has that "festive, happy" mood that gives it separate place by itself.

To me, Whipped Cream stands alone. It has its own sound and character - and while some of the songs - Taste of Honey, Lollipops and Roses, Green Peppers, etc. - resemble some of the other albums, it is unique enough to stand by itself.

I can see how SRO and Sounds Like can be lumped together, but I like SRO better because I like the songs better - although Wade in the Water is my favorite from the Sounds Like album...These two albums give me the distinct feeling that we are hearing a specific band being recorded and that I might hear this same sound coming from the concert stage. This is the what I would call the "concert sound" albums, especially SRO..

Ninth and Beat of the Brass are paired together in my view due to similar sound, but Beat of the Brass is, IMO a "jazzier" direction. From hindsight, Beat of the Brass is the TJB "swan song" album. It was downhill after This Guy's In Love in terms of mass popularity and pop music impact...

I suppose I will stand alone in saying that Warm was a disappointment to me - still is today. I just don't get all that excited about this album. I didn't hear the trumpet that I had grown to admire. I was expecting more of the TJB that I had come to know and love, and I didn't hear it. To me, it was apparent that the TJB was on the way out of the picture by this time as a major pop act and trend setter, and the end of the line was in sight. This is now confirmed by hindsight...

As mentioned above, it was going through the motions from there on...

I will conclude by saying that I prefer to think of each album standing alone on its own merits. They are unique and distinct enough, IMO, to warrant individual recognition as time passed during the sixties...

It would be interesting to hear what was influencing Herb during the years we have talked about. In the begining he was influenced by a bull fight. He had a tight circle of friends with whom he colaborated, such as Sol Lake, Julies Wechter, Bud Coleman and of course, John Pisano. This group supplied a lot of material for the "classical" TJB period. As the Herb's fame increased after 1965, and A&M Records became a bigger player in the music industry, I am sure he started to move within a larger circle of influencers. Burt Bacharac comes to mind, for example. Unless Herb writes an autobiography, I am sure we will never know.

I have no doubt that with increased fame, fortune, expansion and growth of A&M Records, and overall impact/contribution to the musical scene, so to speak, of the sixties, Herb Alpert probably gained considerable influence throughout the music/entertainment industries.

I am sure that his so called circle of influence spread far out throughout the music and recording businesses, and that his contacts were probably broad and significant.

He went from what appears to be relative obscurity prior to the Lonely Bull to owning probably the most successful independent record label in history. He also invented a new and original pop music sound and style, and greatly popularized instrumental music in general, and trumpet playing and players in particular.

So, I am sure that his influence and recognition grew greatly with time.

The Latino music scene has exploded in the last 20 or 25 years, and I would haved loved to see Herb Alpert be a big part of it. Here in the Southwest we have more Mexican/Latino radio stations than we have oldies and talk and Herb should have been part of it. Herb is close to 70 and he's not as "hungry" as he was 40 years ago and I can understand. My wife just made me get rid of my white shoes and leisure suits. :tongue: She told me that 1978 called and wanted their hair style back. :shock: But seriously I wish Herb would keep recording because whatever he does is going to sound fresh and original. He is "Forever Young" Peace amigos...Jay

I think you are very right. In the '60's one of the keys to Herb's success was that he was able to appeal to young and old alike. With Hispanic peope now the largest minority in the U.S., if he could get in that groove again, and appeal to Latin music lovers/jazz afficianados, he could appeal to an audience much larger than his base in the 60's. Maybe we should start a recall petition!

I wonder if Herb didn't start the latin explosion...practically the entire A&M catalogue was latin-oriented in the early '60's. If he didn't start the explosion, he certainly primed the fuse...

Dan

Maybe mariachi-styled "Latin", but the Afro-Cuban type of Latin was percolating as early as the late 40's and early 50's when the mambo came out of Cuba...think Xaviar Cugat, Perez Prado, etc. Then you also had Tito Puente, Mongo Santamaria, and others. I know Latin got more of a mainstream rock boost when Carlos Santana put out his first album. It's a large category. :)

I hate to admit it, but a lot of Herb Alperts recordings, post TJB I found somewhat depressing, dark. I often wondered if this reflected his mood /life experiences at the time. Of course, there are other pieces that remind me of his days leading the TJB, lively, celebratory, but his main theme seems to be very self reflective, melancholic. I am not as precise with my memories of when his music started to change but if my memory serves I thought it was after "The Beat of the Brass."
I do not mean this as a criticism by any means, it is just my observation.

I agree...

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, from Lonely Bull to Beat Of The Brass, is my preferred Herb Alpert era. I will say that Fandango is an exception in the post TJB era for me. It reminds me somewhat of the TJB sound of the sixties more than the other recordings do. That one sounds like Herb has recovered his sound, has found some decent songs, and has a purpose for playing and recording again.

As the Tijuana Brass era drew to a close at the end of the sixties, I think a lot of things were changing, with music being simply one of those things. I am not sure what all might have been affecting Herb Alpert at the time. Times and tastes were and had been changing. The TJB had been a new and unique sound and style and each successive album was something new, and for me at least, much anticipated. That seems to have run its course by about 1969. My opinion is that Herb had done his thing with that sound, had taken it as far as it was going to go, and had not come up with anything else to duplicate or replace it...

It was a "hard act to follow," so to speak...

I think that the TJB's greatest asset was the fact that they were an "escape"...you could really get into the music and forget your troubles; and the '60's were full of them...you coud use a little imagination, and be transformed into a whole other place. The idea of a "tone poem" was really nothing new, Beethoven used the motif in his PASTORALE, Ravel in BOLERO...but Herb popularized it for the masses. Songs like LOVE POTION #9 took on a whole new identity...WHAT NOW MY LOVE was given almost a "bounce" that other less-popular versions lacked.

But it ran it's course...and there had to be a change. So Herb moved in a different direction...I don't really think that his later solo works are so dark, except for maybe JUST YOU AND ME...but they ARE different. There isn't that tone poem motif anymore...and it worked best with cover tunes, which were out of vogue by the early '70's anyway. The music is more...maybe...SUBTLE in it's approach. Does that seem like an appropriate description?

Herb and the Brass were cultural icons in the mid '60's, no doubt about it...and he was again in '79 with RISE...a lot of things came together in each of those instances that made everything special...almost magical...and those two periods are undoubtedly the watershed moments and benchmarks of Herb's career.

But the other stuff is good, too...and I like to listen to that more than the mega-selling stuff, because I got such a steady diet[self-imposed, BTW...] as a youngster...

I've said it before here, I think Herb's greatest legacy as a performer is the fact that he remains a trend-setter, always creative and fresh.

Dan

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom