Which should have been a bigger hit for Sergio?

Which of the following low-charting or non-charting singles most deserved to be a bigger hit for Ser

• Chove Chuva

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • For Me

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • With a Little Help From My Friends

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Frog

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Pretty World

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Dock of the Bay

• Wichita Lineman

• Norwegian Wood

• Chelsea Morning

• For What It's Worth

• Gone Forever

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Love Music

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe this poll has been around so long and I never noticed it. There's not a bad cut on this list so the choice is a rough one.

I thought about this quite a while and finally decided to go with "Love Music." When I first heard the song on the radio, I thought "He is BACK." That song has it all: Catchy, instantly recognizable opening piano riff; killer vocals; a chorus that won't leave the memory; and a message that was (and is) timely. I am still mystified it wasn't a hit...after all, this was the era when the Carpenters, Captain and Tennille, and other groups with female lead vocals were hitting the charts. Maybe it was just a bit too lightweight, or something.

I have since heard the original version (by the Four Tops) and really like it a lot, but I still think Sergio nails it better.

I blame Bell Records for not promoting it properly. No, I blame the public, which can't be counted on to have good taste.

Mike Blakesley said:
I thought about this quite a while and finally decided to go with "Love Music." When I first heard the song on the radio, I thought "He is BACK." That song has it all: Catchy, instantly recognizable opening piano riff; killer vocals; a chorus that won't leave the memory; and a message that was (and is) timely....

Ditto!

Another sensational song from Love Music which should have charted is "Walk The Way You Talk". This is the song that made me think, "He is BACK..." Like "Love Music", "Walk The Way You Talk" (as you said) has it all. It's a wonderful representation of the Sergio Mendes Sound -- easily something he could have recorded during the A&M years and made a success.

Mike Blakesley said:
I blame Bell Records for not promoting it properly. No, I blame the public, which can't be counted on to have good taste.

I also blame Bell for poor promotions. Then again, this was the "Let's Diss Sergio Mendes" period as far as radio and critics were concerned. It's a wonder "Love Music" or "Walk The Way You Talk" made it to the airways at all. And, you're so right: the darn public can't be counted on to have good taste! :wink:

Jon

...in agreement with Mike, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom