• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

WHIPPED CREAM...--Most Controversial Covers, at 'SONGFACTS'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Somehow it made #2... (The Beatles Yesterday & Today w/ the "Butcher Cover" is holding the #1 spot..)

2. Whipped Cream & Other Delights - Herb Alpert (1965)

Why? Sex

"Pretty tame by today's standards, but the sensuous beauty wearing nothing but whipped cream was quite an attention-grabber at the time. Did you know that Alpert had the #1 album slot longer than any other artist in 1966? And no, we didn't forget about The Beatles."

Key Track: A Taste of Honey

Check it out for yourselves:

http://www.songfacts.com/blog/writing/the_most_controversial_album_covers_pg_version/

Dave

I haven't looked at that list but it couldn't possibly extend past 1970, or else WHIPPED CREAM wouldn't even make the top 10.

Uh, yes, if this were a more "valid" list, then you'd think the first Blind Faith album would be there...

Maybe that one made the "Rated R" list, then... :rolleyes:

Dave

Oh yeah, definitely that Blind Faith album. Then, there was that album with the cherry (or was it apple?) pie on the front cover. Prince's "Lovesexy" album cover had him buck nekkid on the cover, but not in any sort of revealing way. And go back to the 50s and 60s--you'll find more than a few "easy listening" albums that revealed more than the whipped-cream-covered bits on the TJB LP. Those were a heck of a lot more controversial than a brunette covered in shaving cream IMHO...although in our generation, it seemed like everyone our age says, "HEY, my dad had that album!"

Seems like the media has nothing better to do but make up these pointless lists... :sigh:

Oh yeah, definitely that Blind Faith album. Then, there was that album with the cherry (or was it apple?) pie on the front cover. Prince's "Lovesexy" album cover had him buck nekkid on the cover, but not in any sort of revealing way. And go back to the 50s and 60s--you'll find more than a few "easy listening" albums that revealed more than the whipped-cream-covered bits on the TJB LP. Those were a heck of a lot more controversial than a brunette covered in shaving cream IMHO...although in our generation, it seemed like everyone our age says, "HEY, my dad had that album!"

Seems like the media has nothing better to do but make up these pointless lists... :sigh:

The album with the cherry pie on the cover was by a group called MOM'S APPLE PIE. The cover showed an illustration of a girl holding a pie pan with a cherry pie in it, fresh from the oven, and the cherry pie was actually an oozing "lady part". The girl's tongue was hanging out, and it was supposedly straight from the oven, vintage 1890's style. The album cover caused a lot of outrage, and the "cherry pie" was later replaced by a brick wall, still in the pie pan.

I'm surprised that ROXY MUSIC'S COUNTRY LIFE wasn't included or mentioned...those girls "doing their thing" made that short-run cover a real collector's item. In later versions, they were airbrushed out, and just the pine trees remained. Several major stores refused to sell the original cover version of the album in their stores.

Dan

& What about John Lennon & Yoko Ono's Two Virgins cover?

Music-wise it's about as much of a mess as I'm sure the nude cover was hard to live down...!

Maybe THAT made the "Rated X" list, too...! (I know, I need to go to it & read that list again...!)

-- Dave

The album with the cherry pie on the cover was by a group called MOM'S APPLE PIE.

Aaaah OK, that's the one I'm thinking of. :thumbsup:

Another one that got changed IIRC was the Miles Davis Bitches Brew album, which had a lot more "nekkidness" on it than the version that eventually got released. I don't remember the whole story on that one.

Check Google for a couple of Cal Tjader album covers also...Ritmo Caliente! and Desmado Caliente. These types of covers were actually more common on Latin-based albums. Even in the 90s when I was more into buying Latin music, the whole theme of "very scantily clad" seemed to be the norm on album covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom