The Christmas Song
Las Mananitas

Side Two:
Sleigh Ride
The Bell That Couldn't Jingle
Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
Jingle Bell Rock
Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring

Give us faith in ourselves and faith in our fellow man...then, the treasures and
Beauties of life that make man happy will spring from an inexhaustible source.
And at Christmas, when the hearts of the world swell in joyous celebration,
Let us cast aside the pretense of sturdy men and live if only for a day in
The hope and joy we knew as children. A Christmas Prayer by an unknown author.

Though our home page AOTW listing is out of commission at the moment, it's gotta be time for the one of the ultimate A&M Christmas offerings, Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass' Christmas Album.

Though we had a thread like it last year, I've started a new one here. Dig out the album and give it its annual spin, and post your thoughts here.

Harry
...ho, ho, ho, online...

I think what's most interesting about this album is how different it probably would have sounded if it had been recorded three or four years earlier. By 1968 the TJB had a more jazz oriented sound and less of a traditional Mariachi feel. The song "Las Mananitas" which had been released years earlier on a single, shows how much the TJB's sound evolved over a few years. I think maybe some of the Christmas LPs by budget label TJB knockoffs like "The Mexicali Brass" probably are closer to how fans would have expected a TJB Christmas album to have sounded were it released between 1962 and 1965. But Herb was always expanding the range of the Brass and what he came up with in '68 has stood the test of time as one of the all-time Christmas classics.
I've always wished that Herb would have done another Christmas album in recent years. His new version of "Winter Wonderland" that he recorded with Jeff Lorber was just a taste of what a new Herb Christmas collection could have given us.
Listening today to Chris Botti's Christmas album, "December", it sounds so much like Herb's style and possibly what his approach may have been to some of the same songs. I've read interviews with Botti and haven't heard him site Herb Alpert as an influence. That seems odd, since his style is so much like Herb's. Has anyone else heard Chris Botti talk about Herb Alpert?

I have Botti's latest CD, and I like it...he DOES sound a lot like Herb. I imagine that he knows that, and since it's so obvious...there really isn't too much of a need to acknowledge it. I would rather find out what Herb thinks of Botti...but Herb is probably too classy to open up a can of worms...and anyway, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Dan

I think Botti is "his own man" so to speak regarding the trumpet, but I think that there are some common areas of style/sound between Botti and Herb.

I think I hear some tonal similarity between these two players, but I think Herb's sound is a little more "unique." By that I mean that I can instantly recognize Herb.

The more I listen to Botti, the more I can recognize him also. As my familiarity with Botti increases, I am probably going to be able to pick him out from other players also. Every player has a slightly unique sound.

Additionally, I think that Herb has the benefit of playing and creating a distinctly original style and sound. There is only one player that can be credited with creating the TJB sound and that is Herb.

Botti, on the other hand, tends to fall into the "smooth jazz" genre, which is a sound and general style that contains many players and groups, and not just trumpet players, so Botti is not originating anything there, even if he plays a few original compositions. Botti cannot be credited with originating a new style of music and an original sound as Herb did.

I think Botti is a great player. I like his new CD, but I think his song "Drive Time" from the "Slowing Down The World" CD - I think that is the CD it is on - is extremely Herb-like in sound and style.

Dad bought it on CD two Christmases ago from CD Universe, sealed, never-been-used. It's one of the many holiday CDs we play aside from some of Mom's favorites like ANDY WILLIAMS CHRISTMAS ALBUM and FAITH. While it's basically a good holiday album, there are a few songs I wish they'd left alone as far as the arrangements like "Let It Snow, Let It Snow", "Let It Snow", "Jingle Bells", and the last one, "Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desire". I love "Las Mananitas"! The arrangement of "My Favorite Things" is excellent, a rolling, kind of parade-like drumbeat, the trumpets, and Lou Pagani's soft piano semi-finish at the end. I also love the way "Winter Wonderland" and "Jingle Bells" were done (by the way, who's doing all the "Ye-e-ahs!?") The two vocal tracks are great too, "The Christmas Song" and "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle". I know that Herb Alpert isn't known primarily for his vocals, but his version of "The Christmas Song" should have made to it radio (or did it?) The Bacharach/David tune, "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" is something somebody could sing to their kid or something (just my bit of gushy sentimentality! :D ) Once in a while, they'll play "Winter Wonderland" on the oldies station we pick up, but not as much Gene Autry's version of "Rudolph", or Nat King Cole's version of, "The Christmas Song".

:bigsanta:

The Christmas station we had in Dallas the past few years always played the TJB Christmas album once all the way through every year. In addition, they programmed "Jingle Bells", "The Christmas Song", and "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" pretty regularly during the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They also played at least one Carpenters song every single hour! That station went contemporary Country during the past year, so we only have one station playing all Christmas this year and frankly, the playlist leaves a lot to be desired.
I keep hearing Herb's "Sleigh Ride" in the grocery store though!

I have three different iterations of this album. Of course, we were first on our block to get the original LP way back when, with the graphics as pictured above. It featured the standard ochre label, and both Dad and I were really fond of the special TjB treatments of the songs.

Later, in the early '80s, the album was re-issued with the white border tearing away to reveal the Herb-as-Santa picture and simplified graphics and fonts. I bought one of those just to upgrade the sound of my by-then well-worn vinyl, not knowing of the coming CD revolution. This one has the silver-tan label.

The CD version came shortly thereafter sporting the renewed graphics. It was my first TjB digital purchase and remains a staple in my Christmas collection.

Versions
I'm pretty sure that the Christmas Album may be one of the TjB albums that could boast the most number of different versions - something that occured to me as I perused eBay. Here are the ones I know about:

1. Original jacket, ochre label.
2. Original jacket, white label promo.
3. Original jacket, white label promo, mono.
4. White jacket, tan label.
5. White jacket, black '80s label (saw this one on eBay).
6. European version with the different title and cover.
7. US CD version.

Any others? Did the album ever get re-issued with the red label? Was there a CD with the European title? Were there any Japanese or Chinese issues with odd labelling?

Harry
...playing the CD version, online...

The "white jacket,black label"(sounds like a prom tux,doesn't it?)version was available even up till a few years ago where stores carried a dump assortment of cutout Christmas LPs. Locally,the Wall chain(then owned by W.H.Smith) and the Boscov chain carried them for about 2.99. I also found the first two Manheim Stemrollers(that sound has not aged well),the Rotary Connection(featuring Minnie Ripperton)PEACEand,a real find-Billy Taylor's Bell Christmas LP recorded while Billy was musicial director for the David Frost talk show(bad show,great band and David's presence on the LP is an embarrassment). That was a good day at the mall,for a change. Mac

I have the first released CD version from Germany, circa 1985 or 1986. Same "white border" cover art, but the type size is larger. IIRC, it predated the US version by a year or two. I have not yet compared directly, but I think they used a different master over there, as it sounded "softer" than the US version (less high end).

...And the thing I'd like to note about The TjB Christmas Album is that it comes Right After THIS Album...

sp4165.jpg

Dave :laugh:

My brother bought me the TJB-knock-off Christmas album in 1967 and then cried because I didn't play it much. (And he'd spent his hard-earned allowence on it).
The next year, I remember the bottom dropping out of my stomach in excitment after seeing it in KMart in November. I had to save up my allowence to buy it. '68 was my best holiday as a kid, and the TJB album is something I always relate to that time. I even bought a copy for my girl friend as my gift to her...and then later "borrowed" it so I'd have a second copy. She was happy to give it to me, because I'm not sure it was her first choice for a gift.
Herb on the Ed Sullivan Show, playing "My Favorite Things" and singing "Christmas Song." (Pre-taped, even! Something Sullivan always said he wouldn't allow artists to do on his broadcast. Wonder how that worked itself out.)
And the radio station in Cleveland playing "Jingle Bells" on Christmas Eve as we were driving to my grandparents' house in a snowstorm where the flakes were thick and fluffy zooming toward the car windshield.

alpertfan said:
Dad bought it on CD two Christmases ago from CD Universe, sealed, never-been-used. It's one of the many holiday CDs we play aside from some of Mom's favorites like ANDY WILLIAMS CHRISTMAS ALBUM and FAITH. While it's basically a good holiday album, there are a few songs I wish they'd left alone as far as the arrangements like "Let It Snow, Let It Snow", "Let It Snow", "Jingle Bells", and the last one, "Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desire". I love "Las Mananitas"! The arrangement of "My Favorite Things" is excellent, a rolling, kind of parade-like drumbeat, the trumpets, and Lou Pagani's soft piano semi-finish at the end. I also love the way "Winter Wonderland" and "Jingle Bells" were done (by the way, who's doing all the "Ye-e-ahs!?") The two vocal tracks are great too, "The Christmas Song" and "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle". I know that Herb Alpert isn't known primarily for his vocals, but his version of "The Christmas Song" should have made to it radio (or did it?) The Bacharach/David tune, "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" is something somebody could sing to their kid or something (just my bit of gushy sentimentality! :D ) Once in a while, they'll play "Winter Wonderland" on the oldies station we pick up, but not as much Gene Autry's version of "Rudolph", or Nat King Cole's version of, "The Christmas Song".

:bigsanta:

A lot of the credit for the overall sound of the album has to go to Shorty Rogers...he did all the vocal arrangements and a lot of the orchestration, as well...

I don't mean to take anything away from Herb's work here...because HE put it all together, and he had to have the overall sound in mind when he came up with the album concept. He was the executive producer, after all. It's just that sometimes I think that Shorty never really got enough credit for all that he did after his Giants days. Remember that he had a lot to do with WARM, also...not to mention MY ABSTRACT HEART.

Herb and Shorty made a great team.

Dan

My first listening of this great album was a bit unusual - I first heard it in July 1976 while I was doing my basic training in the Air Force. It was towards the end of training and we got a base pass, so I went to the base library. They also had Warm and Ninth as well, so I sat in a listening booth playing these LPs. When the librarian gave me an odd look about the Christmas Album, I just said "Well, it's just like Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere". I got a "Yeah, right" and that was it. :wink:

This is still my favorite Christmas album. :thumbsup:

Capt. Bacardi

DAN BOLTON said:
And another thing...Shorty's music is too hard to find these days!

:thumbsup: I was just listening to The Swingin' Nutcracker this afternoon, in fact. If you hunt around you can find some of his RCA recordings reissued by BMG/Spain. Thing is, the masters aren't the best. I don't have too many of the CDs, but the ones I have are mono, even though the albums were originally released both mono and stereo. BMG U.S. would not give up the good masters, so the reissue producer in Spain had to make do with what they had on hand. I'd normally recommend getting the vinyl, but it's scarce, and when in good condition, it's expensive.

As I got my first copy of the TJB Christmas album back in 1970 as an 11 year old, I never figured just how creative and fun the approach to the traditional Christmas material was until much later. To me Herb's versions of Winter Wonderland, My favourite things and Jingle Bell Rock was the definitive ones, and the first time I heard the Christmas Song was with Herb on vocals.
In fact when producing a Christmas album a few years ago where the Christmas Song was to be performed during a medley, I sent the singer a copy of Herb's performance as a reference ( along with Celine Dion's).
Looking at it now the TJB Christmas album is quite groundbreaking. Herb comes up with original, fun versions of the songs yet keeping the "Christmas mood" intact throughout the album. Just listen to the application of the "James Bond theme" in the midst of the Sound of Music classic "My favourite things" and hear how the sleigh almost comes to a halt during the hilarious "Sleigh Ride".

- greetings from the (not so) cold north -

Martin

An awesome A&M Moment: Herb Alpert & TjB's "My Favorite Things" came on the radio when I was driving home from a trip to the drugstore. It was the only place that was open on Christmas, and I wanted to get those "mood lights" that plug into your car's cigarette lighter and stick to your dash--and that warm, blue glow went along with the song perfectly.

It was certainly my first time ever hearing it or anything else, except maybe "Winter Wonderland" playing off that album on the radio. During one break on the song--where you just hear the piano solo, (I used to think it was actually another song starting) I stopped at a stop sign. The other driver I yielded to at my left actually gave me right-of-way, and the song picked up again. But the radio station interrupted the "fade" at the end and started the next song, but by then, I was home. :laugh:

Dave :bigsanta:

...a pretty funny and awesome A&M moment... :wink:

I still don't understand why "My Favorite Things" is considereda Christmas song... The scene in Sound Of Music where it occurs doesn't even take place in Winter!

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
I still don't understand why "My Favorite Things" is considered a Christmas song... The scene in Sound Of Music where it occurs doesn't even take place in Winter!

--Mr Bill

I don't know why it is, either. There is a '45' of The TjB's "My Favorite Things" you can get backed with a non-Christmas song, which I forgot the name of. I went out and got what seems to be the ONLY copy of it around here (with a Picture Sleeve, even), B/W "THE CHRISTMAS SONG (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)", until the next Record Show comes around the first week in January. :!:

We Five did it on iSOMETHING FESTIVE! and of course, their YOU WERE ON MY MIND album. And it doesn't seem to be SNOWING anywhere on the YWOMM cover. :?:

Dave :confused:

Hmm, I suspect political correctness plays a role. As the religious aspect of Christmas has been deemphasized over the years, many have come to see the holiday's sole purpose as RECEIVING presents. A tune like "MFT" fits this theme perfectly.
JB

NR (now reading): "Persecution" by David Limbaugh, an insightful study of runaway judges' efforts to suppress the free excercise of religion, outlawing nativity scenes, etc.

Well, never the less, it is a song good enough to be heard YEAR ROUND, then. I'm going to play it along with my DEFINITIVE HITS, then. Playing it with "The Early Stuff", of course.

Dave :D

...I think it might be the line about snowflakes sticking to my nose and eyelashes...but, other than that...I'm stumped...

Dan

I think the b-side of one issue of "My Favorite Things" was "She Touched Me".
NP: "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" mono LP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom