• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

2008 Donations in Karen's Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. SPAC

As I live in Los Angeles, I have access to many important and historic sites relating to the Carpenters. I drive past the Hollywood Bowl daily and down La Brea Avenue past A&M Records/Jim Henson Productions 2-3 times a week. I would regularly visit Forest Lawn in Cypress and now Griffin Valley Oaks Memorial Park in Westlaske Village when I am in the area. I always stop by to mark February 3rd, March 2nd and Christmas as they were important times for KC. Her acquaintance and gift of music are still treasured parts of my life today.

Over the years I have seen overwhelming flowers on these important dates. One could not walk within 10 feet of Karen's crypt at Forest Lawn because of stunning arrangements from fans, colleagues and family members! On December 23rd I stopped to say Merry Christmas and deliver some holiday plants to the Carpenter crypt at Valley Oaks. I was saddened to see not a single flower there for the lady who's voice is so synonymous with Christmas (or for her parents, Harold & Agnes).

Yes, it is 25 years later. Family members, colleagues and fans have moved on. I know extra cash is hard to come by lately and that charity must begin at home. As 2008 comes to an end, I'd like to encourage everyone who can to make a donation to a local music school or community arts program and keep Karen's name in your heart when you do. It is vital we help provide these important opportunities to budding musical talents. In many cases, you donation can be tax deductible for YOU as well.

Best to you all in 2009!

This is a terrific idea! Thanks for suggesting it. After reading your post I sent a check off yeaterday to a local theatre where I saw The Carpenters perform many years ago. Arts organizations are really hurting for donations this year.

I used to contribute to the Karen A. Carpenter Memorial Fund. I am sure Richard controlled how the money was used, but after it was rolled into the Carpenter Family Foundation, I stopped sending a check. I wanted my money to go some place in Karen's name and spirit. When I read that Richard donated millions of dollars to have HIS name on a wall in Thousand Oaks, CA, I figured he could afford to make his donations WITHOUT my contributions. After reading there were no flowers at Karen's grave for Christmas this year, maybe he cant! How sad and embarrasing!

HaPpY NeW YeAr ALL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom