2016 CDs - I am getting anxious

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've stated that these CD releases are for introducing new listeners (younger generations) to Herb and the TJB, hence the minimal packaging vs. the "collector" presentations of the Shout Factory versions. So they are not exactly targeting those who already have owned the music. The plus for some is that a few of these albums are getting a first-ever digital release. Other than "Darlin'" which was either an easter egg or a goof (likely the former), no extras, no bonus tracks, etc. are planned whatsoever. Straight album reissues here.

So definitely, hang onto those few Shout discs that have bonus tracks. :agree:

It's hard to compete on box sets today, since so many labels have released "complete" artist box sets at fire sale prices, where the per-disc price is around $3-$4 per disc. (As one example, I paid less for the Bill Withers box set than I did for one single import CD of +'Justments.) Nobody would ever buy a box set if each disc were at the single full-blown retail price. CDs just aren't selling anymore, and those lavish anthology box sets have gone the way of the dinosaur.

I'd love a "package deal" on all of the high-res downloads, or a vinyl box though (if they send the masters to a competent pressing plant this time). Those are selling.

I would not be surprised to see HAP package up all of the TJB albums in a box set for Christmas, or something like that. That would be a minimal expense -- just print up the boxes and throw the existing CDs in there. Maybe they could put Lost Treasures in as a bonus disk.

Even if they did all 27 (?) new releases, it should still be near $100 given today's box set pricing. Given the target market though, they're more apt to buy single albums. Sure would be more convenient to offer 'em in one fell swoop though!

I agree for us who already have most of the TJB and Solo on cd in my case i only need to purchase the ones that i dont have on CD already.( i have mentioned this previously.) And that means less to buy later. I never expected to see almost the entire discography to become availiable In CD Form Until now. and as i said before it is very much worth the wait.

As they say, "the time is NOW." :agree:

Even if the CDs and vinyl get sold out or disappear, though, I fully believe the download versions will remain available for a long time coming. There are no manufacturing or inventory costs, unlike physical formats. So at least the music will still be out there.

As they say, "the time is NOW." :agree:

Even if the CDs and vinyl get sold out or disappear, though, I fully believe the download versions will remain available for a long time coming. There are no manufacturing or inventory costs, unlike physical formats. So at least the music will still be out there.
that explains why i was able to Get some great classic easy listening instrumental music in download form ( they were not issued on CD such as the surrey house music radio recordings collection series which i have almost all of them now) and with the downloads you are paying for the music itself in that case. As for my Alpert collection i have all physical Formats. So i stick with what works.

I would not be surprised to see HAP package up all of the TJB albums in a box set for Christmas, or something like that. That would be a minimal expense -- just print up the boxes and throw the existing CDs in there. Maybe they could put Lost Treasures in as a bonus disk.

I would not at all expect to see such a package. However, there may be interest in a high quality presentation at a future time.

I'm not that familiar with the album " Summertime ", it's titled as Herb and the TJB, I'm maybe being a little lazy here but which albums are those tracks from? Surely Herb's solo albums, not TJB?

"Summertime" (1971) is an original Herb & TJB album, it is not a compilation. I don't think the same album title was used across the pond.

Ah ok - I wrongly assumed it was a compilation mainly because the TJB had split by ' 71? I don't know if we got that album here in the UK. I have it on vinyl - will have to dig it out. Thanks Steve.

I've found my Summertime LP and it would appear to be issued in America, it carries the album number SP4314. I think I bought it at a car boot sale or maybe a record fair ( it's second hand, not new ). I still don't know if the album was issued over here.

The UK version looks like it was just titled Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass. Image found on EIL.com. Same bad pants...

SummertimeUK.jpg

Harry

I have the version shown above, but Discogs suggests that there was a UK release with the album title "Summertime" (and the same sleeve as the US version); both had the same catalogue number.

tony I have the uk version of summertime, I bought it at a local goodwill store last year, looks like it never been played, paid only a $1.00, by the way does any know who won that ha come fly with me autographed cd by herb and lani?
becasue I did not see no notice who won.

bob

Unlike you experts in the field of computer electronics and downloading, my knowledge in that realm is slim to none. What I do know is always have a backup hard copy such as a cd or vinyl record, especially for those things you treasure musically. In this world of hackers and cyber insecurity nothing is safe in the internet cloud. Some or all of that stuff in the "cloud" can be lost or erased, intentionally or unintentionally.

Unlike you experts in the field of computer electronics and downloading, my knowledge in that realm is slim to none. What I do know is always have a backup hard copy such as a cd or vinyl record, especially for those things you treasure musically. In this world of hackers and cyber insecurity nothing is safe in the internet cloud. Some or all of that stuff in the "cloud" can be lost or erased, intentionally or unintentionally.
I totally agree I Always make backup cd Hardcopies of Every Download i purchase immediately. And the only downloads i buy are those i cant get on physical Vinyl or Cds and the i found A lot of those just in the Last 5 years Alone.

CDs, and especially CD-Rs, are not all that reliable. One flaw in the wrong place and the disc can be completely unplayable (CD rot/oxidizing, a label-side pit or scratch, injection molding flaws, even hub cracks). CD-Rs have a finite shelf life. Many of mine no longer play. Even an old beaten up vinyl LP will still play back, unless it is completely warped, half melted or broken in half. Tape has its flaws also. Nothing is perfect.

Cloud backups are a "best practice" for off-site disaster recovery; I use two for the most important and irreplaceable files, in fact, and it's all encrypted and automated. (An on-site backup is good for crash/loss recovery.) I'll let everyone know how those records, tapes and CDs of mine hold up after a major flood or fire, natural disaster or theft. It's too easy to say, "It'll never happen to me," and next thing you know...it happens. We lost a car two summers ago to a flash flood (several miles away from home) and houses at the end of our street had their basements flooded out (sewage backup--they are downhill by a few feet in elevation and closer to the lake and the sewage pumping station), as did many friends and family we know.

I'm really glad that I backed up my downloads and put them on disc - my music libraries in both iTunes and windows media player have a strange habit of deleting tracks from albums - or in some cases duplicating every track on a album, so instead of 11 tracks there are 22 ! Anyone else experience this?

Dave.

I'm really glad that I backed up my downloads and put them on disc - my music libraries in both iTunes and windows media player have a strange habit of deleting tracks from albums - or in some cases duplicating every track on a album, so instead of 11 tracks there are 22 ! Anyone else experience this?

No, not at all--I don't mess with that type of software. (And that could be why. :wink: They try to oversimplify building a "library" you can access, and take away some of the control.) On a computer I will typically use JRiver for audio (it's the only one I trust to play the correct and full resolution of high-res files), and for video, VLC Media Player. I use a DLNA server which (describing it briefly) gives access to any DLNA-capable player I have, on any device. It is primarily read-only, so it can't delete tracks unless you really try to seek out the feature (provided the player, aka "renderer," even has delete capabilities). The server creates its own library of sorts. On my Oppo BDP-105, I could use the DLNA server if I wanted to, but I tend to go right to the remote filesystem and play the files directly; in that case, there is no way the files can be deleted. Oppo's Media Control app does not have that capability.

If I really wanted to get safe on the permissions, I could create a separate user account on the server and make everything read-only for that account. But I haven't needed to so far.

Here's something I do to organize the albums. It could help you out, especially if you have two or three versions of the same album.

The only time I will get duplicate entries is if I have the same album in two or three different directories. Since they have the same album title in the ID3 tag, they will all show up under one album. This is especially confusing for a couple of rare albums, since I might have found them as MP3 originally, then located a lossless (FLAC) version at a later time, and forgot to delete the MP3 version. Plus, what I do now is give my album titles a suffix. If they are MP3, the title gets [MP3] suffixed to the end of it. For standard CDs, I don't append anything unless it is a specific remaster. (I might use [MFSL] for Mobile Fidelity, or [AF] for Audio Fidelity, etc., if it's a gold disc.) If it is high-res, it gets the bit depth and sampling frequency like [24-96], [24-88], [24-192], etc. And files ripped from surround DVD-A discs, in surround, will get something like [24-96 5.1] for the surround version and [24-96 2.0] for the stereo version.

By putting that in the album title tag, any library software or server should be able to keep them separated.

Keep in mind, too, if you edit any of the tags, or even the filename, the library might think you've added a new/different album, yet leave the old album up there. It depends on how good the software is at keeping everything updated and tidy. You might also check deep in all the settings and make certain there is no "delete files" option chosen anywhere. I've seen a few programs with a setting that reads, "Delete file when deleting from library?" Or, something similar. I'd rather keep extra copies and clutter things up, than mistakenly delete something. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom