60 years of Billboard Hot 100

I got that beat. I actually, and literally, traveled halfway around the globe to see The Corrs in Australia

I almost beat my record a few years ago -- we had tickets to see the Eagles in the Amway Arena in Orlando when it was brand new....but the concert got rescheduled due to an illness (Don Henley, I think) and we wound up missing it by 3 weeks.

Most of my concerts have been in Billings, MT but I've gone to L.A., Seattle, Denver, Fargo ND, Bismarck ND, Minneapolis, and various other Montana cities for shows.

Good call with Jimmy Buffet, only 5 Top 40 hits with just one making it to the Top 10. But huge album sales and concert tours and a party atmosphere that is truly unique. The Grateful Dead is another band that also falls into this category, that should do it!

^ Speaking of Led Zeppelin and Queen, two legendary acts that take a back seat to no one. I would also include Pink Floyd, Metallica and possibly KISS as artists that were not listed in the Top 100 due to limited success/effort in the Billboard Top 100 genre. Their stature was based on massive album sales, concert attendance and FM radio play during their prime and they at least "appeared" to care less about the latest single and it's position on the charts. I'm sure I missed a few other artists (Deep Purple) that fall into this category.
It’s funny that most critics like the Rock or Classic Rock artists that don’t appear on this list of dominant Pop artists. Could it be that what people try to push down our throats as the elite are not actually what most are enjoying? For those Rock fans, their music is not included in this list. It could also be said that quantity does not equal quality. But that could work in both directions: maybe a little more Rock artists would be included, but it could also mean Carpenters could be rated even higher! Anyways, I am happy for the list as it is, and happy for those of you who have seen these artists! And, I am happy that some of you have detailed some of your Carpenters experiences over the years on this board!

So how many of the Top 100 artists have you seen in concert?

Madonna, Elton John (7x), Janet Jackson, Rod Stewart, Olivia Newton-John (4x), Aretha Franklin, Billy Joel (w/Elton), "The Four Seasons" (really just Frankie Valli with backup singers), Neil Diamond, Maroon 5, Cher (2x), George Michael, Pink, Three Dog Night (without Chuck Negron), Bon Jovi, Duran Duran (met them!), Eagles, Lady Gaga, Barry Manilow, Dionne Warwick, and Fleetwood Mac (2x).

Another interesting slice of this chart: artists who made the top 100 as both solo act and group member.

The Beatles (1), Paul McCartney (12)
Michael Jackson (8), The Jacksons (39)
The Supremes (16), Diana Ross (28)
Lionel Richie (33), The Commodores (65)
Beyoncé (41), Destiny's Child (85)

It would be interesting to see where each of them would rank if their solo and group points were combined.

It’s funny that most critics like the Rock or Classic Rock artists that don’t appear on this list of dominant Pop artists. Could it be that what people try to push down our throats as the elite are not actually what most are enjoying?

Not necessarily.... this list is about the Hot 100 Singles chart, and not every acclaimed band is a singles artist. Carpenters, the Beatles, Madonna, Michael Jackson and the like were album AND a singles artists. Other bands, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin come to mind, were much more about albums than they were about singles, even though both had some singles success. Then there are many, many other artists that are more about singles than albums. Some, like the Bee Gees for example, sold a lot of albums too, but are still far more known for their singles. Then you have the artists that fall into the "one-hit wonder" category and thus, even though they might have put out some really great catchy singles, are never going to make a list like the one we're discussing.

Madonna, Elton John (7x), Janet Jackson, Rod Stewart, Olivia Newton-John (4x), Aretha Franklin, Billy Joel (w/Elton), "The Four Seasons" (really just Frankie Valli with backup singers), Neil Diamond, Maroon 5, Cher (2x), George Michael, Pink, Three Dog Night (without Chuck Negron), Bon Jovi, Duran Duran (met them!), Eagles, Lady Gaga, Barry Manilow, Dionne Warwick, and Fleetwood Mac (2x).

And I think we have our winner!!

Actorman, 21 out of 100 makes you the champ on this site! Have also seen Two Dog Night and even One Dog Night (Danny Hutton only due to death of Cory Wells) more recently. They were one band that matched the Carpenters almost hit for hit and actually have the most Billboard Top 40 hits (21) from 1969 to 1975. While the Carpenters are Billboard's top US born recording artists of the seventies. Both also had three number 1 hits, but 3DN was far behind the Carpenters in overall record sales.

Last edited:
Please don't let Ms ARETHA see this list --they have "Rihanna" ranked above her. :boxing: she is gonna flip out.

Back
Top Bottom