'80s 3000 reissue numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew T.

Since I tend to be numerically oriented, I've sometimes wondered: Why did A&M renumber many of its releases in the '80s in a 3000 series, rather than keep them in print with the original catalog numbers? A minor issue, of course, but I think that "CD 3286" doesn't have the same ring for Joe Jackson's Body and Soul as SP 5000. :wink:

Thanks-- that would appear to make sense. If I'm not mistaken, the 3000 reissue series started with SP-3101, which was a reissue of SP-(4)101 of 1962 (The Lonely Bull by Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass). Of course, the SP numbers got out of sync with the originals after that.

There have been some strange numbering occurrences over the years, especially with the foreign offices. For example, A&M Canada issued Lucille Starr's "Say You Love Me" as SP4100, which seemingly would put it ahead of (101 - later becoming) 4101. Another example, SP414 was the U.S. A&M stereo jukebox (Little LP) release of Herb Alpert's "What Now My Love" and also used for A&M Canada's "Cream Of The Cream" a sampler album.

Waylon Jennings' DON'T THINK TWICE (SP 4238) was slated to be reissued as "SP 3100," but it didn't happen because of the artist's objection. Instead that number went to an early Bryan Adams LP.
JB -- recalling some old A&M Fan Network correspondence, online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom