• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A&M Acts' Best & Worst Cover Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
More Votes on "A&M's Best Cover Art" would be:

Claudine Longet -- Run Wild, Run Free

Alan Copeland Singers -- If Love Comes With It

Nick De Caro -- Happy Heart

Rick Roberts -- Best Of Rick Roberts

(NOT: Windmills or She Is A Song :badteeth: )

Dave

I personally vouch for Walter Wanderley's When It Was Done. The dark photo on the front with a couple, when one hears the title track, seems to suggest that love can continue through life's dark moments. I know, it IS a pop song, but it can have a distinct ring of truth to it at times.

seashorepiano said:
I personally vouch for Walter Wanderley's When It Was Done...

Funny, how the back cover photo of Wanderley actually gets shown on the A&M Jazz Inner-Sleeve; Wonder Why?? :shock: I would think THAT was the front cover, at times... :o

Dave

Good point. His picture is kind of interesting. Up until that point it seems like the other artist photos were done in shadows with trippy colors or silhouette (in Artie Butler's case, probably meant as a joke). Comparing it with Jobim's shadowy countenance, Herbie Mann's, Tamba 4's, Nat Adderley's, it's a pretty clear photograph and could suggest itself as the cover. Then again, Wes Montgomery is an exception... his shots are pretty clear, probably to stress the down-to-earth nature of the CTi recordings.

Dave said:
The Worst: Lee Michaels Carnival Of Life :thumbsdn: ...Lee sportin' them glasses 'N' fake mustache! :shake:

Especially since it followed such a Great Masterpiece--Cover Art and What was Inside...

Dave

I don't get it. I agree that Carnival of Life is a strange thing to do on a cover. Normally you would like the artist to be recognizable on the cover of his first(?) album. What I don't understand: what Great Masterpiece did it follow? I thought Carnival was his first album?

David O

David O said:
I agree that Carnival of Life is a strange thing to do on a cover. What I don't understand: What Great Masterpiece did it follow? I thought Carnival was his first album?

David O

Errr...Sorry...!! What I meant was as far as A&M SP #'s went...! Yeah, OK, I Know...! I should'a posted it as "Especially since such a Great Masterpiece would FOLLOW...!!" :laugh: :oops:

Dave said:
The Worst: Lee Michaels Carnival Of Life A&M SP 4138

The Best: Roger Nichols & The Small Circle Of Friends A&M SP 4139

That is, I'm referring back to when these albums were our: A&M Corner Album(s) Of The Week!!!

Dave

I'll never understand the cover for Jimmie Rodgers Child Of Clay... :confused: It has a good Back Cover, not to mention the (Almost!) best liner notes Derek Taylor has ever written, but I cut off that front and put it aside (to hopefully one day maybe get Jimmie to sign) and "two-fer"-ed the back cover with the back (actually combination front/back of Michelle Phillips' Victim Of Romance) cover of another album, both mounted on a blank 12" cardboard jacket, with the records, in seperate inner-sleeves, housed inside.

I like both the fronts and backs for Rodgers' Windmills Of Your Mind and Troubled Times, though... Hard to make up my mind what to look at--Front or Back...

Quite a number of artists entitled their LP's Windmills..., back then, when covering the Alan & Marilyn Bergman-written title of The Thomas Crown Affair was so en-vogue, back then...

Can even picture my "own" album cover of my "OWN album" of Windmills along a road side and a "reflection" portrait of me staring at them as I ride or drive by...

Need some "songs" for it I can sing and maybe some "world class musicians", as well as a time machine to go back those 30, 35 or 40 years...

Dave

There must be something in the air... I was looking for a time machine too! But, I`d settle for a magic carpet.

One of my favorite album art pieces is the cover of GOOD AND CHEAP by Eggs Over Easy (SP 4366). It's very similar to OMD's CRUSH.

While watching a late-night rerun of the 1966 surf documentary "Endless Summer" I became intrigued by footage of a gold sea with a small boat in the background. It hit me like a ton of bricks --- that's the Tamba 4 WE AND THE SEA photo! Glad I was awake enough to notice it.

Another awful album photo: BRER SOUL by Melvin Van Peebles (SP 4161). He's got a garbage bag wrapped around his head for God's sake; what were they thinking?

JB

LPJim said:
One of my favorite album art pieces is the cover of GOOD AND CHEAP by Eggs Over Easy (SP 4366). It's very similar to OMD's CRUSH.

Ah, yes! Good and Cheap - that is a great cover! And it's funny you say that about OMD's Crush because the first time I ever saw a copy of Good and Cheap, I thought the exact same thing! :laugh:

Jeff F.

Phil Ochs' Pleasures Of The Harbor is a pretty neat cover... Him standing...at a HARBOR...!! :tongue: The tombstone on Rehearsals... is a pretty eerie forshadowing of his death, in '76, then still yet to come... :sad:

I like the covers for Tape From California-- You just can't beat those drawings of Orange Trees painted behind him...! And if this sounds like he's one of the few artists whose ENTIRE body of works has the best covers, then it's because Greatest Hits and Gunfight At Carnegie Hall have great covers, too, this side of those Girls' Photos on The Sandpipers' albums!

I even like the cover shots on the double LP compilation, Chords Of Fame and my War Is Over: Best Of, CD...

Dave

Best cover: I thought that Head East "A Different Kind Of Crazy" from 1979 was awesome. Someone told me that the cover had the King Tut jive & I thought it was cool. :tongue: Worst cover: Head East "Get Yourself Up" (1976). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom