• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A&M Corner Donation Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
This is a first for the Corner: a donation drive.

Every year in December, our web hosting account is up for renewal, and I receive a good yearly discount if I prepay in advance. Unfortunately, sales via Amazon have been very weak due to the economy, especially with little or no new A&M product coming down the pipeline. And GEMM--well, nobody here uses them much anymore. In short, there's nowhere near enough coming in to pay the bills. In addition to hosting, we also have expenses for domain registrations and renewals and other expenses.

This year also marked a change on a personal front--I'm no longer doing web development for a living full time, so my paying gigs cannot give me a "free ride" like they have in the past. I still have a few I maintain, but they are on separate accounts that I do not pay for.

To help out, I'm unfortunately having to run a donation drive to raise some funds to keep these sites going. Whatever amount you can help out with is appreciated! If you are interested, please drop me a private message here, and I'll send along details. Maybe if things improve in the coming year, we won't need to do this again. But until then, any help you can give is much appreciated. I hate having to do this, but we've been going 11+ years now, and this is definitely a first.

Thanks,

-= Rudy =-

Had a question via PM: yes, I do have Paypal set up via a payments page on what's left of my old web development business. It's actually set up as a payment processor, so my customers with debit/credit cards could pay without needing a Paypal account, in addition to traditional Paypal payments.

Click here for the payment link.

And as before, thanks for reading. :)

I just made a donation via PayPal. Even though I'm an infrequent poster, I check in several times a week to see what's new in the world of my favorite music, and I'd hate to see this forum go away for lack of financial support. Thanks for everything you do with the A&M Corner, Rudy!

Mike A.
:bandit:

...GEMM--Well, nobody here uses it much anymore...

Well, I beg to dispute, as if it weren't for the recent transactions I've made at GEMM I wouldn't have half the stuff that I have now... And perhaps A&M Corner wouldn't have gotten this far, either... :jester:

Because my musical interests are far beyond what any record store is willing to carry or take in, in trade (and a lot of those $%^*#!!! places know LESS about music than what we know about here) I owe a lot to GEMM for helping me build my A&M library as well as A&M Corner for making me aware of music that truly IS collectible...!!!

Thank you, All...!

Dave

--I'll see what I can make my "pledge"... :neutral:inkshield:

mikeargo said:
I just made a donation via PayPal. Even though I'm an infrequent poster, I check in several times a week to see what's new in the world of my favorite music, and I'd hate to see this forum go away for lack of financial support. Thanks for everything you do with the A&M Corner, Rudy!

Mike A.
:bandit:

You're welcome, Mike, and thanks! :wave:

Hi Rudy,

How much money do you need? Is it in the neighborhood of 17 billion dollars? Or, is it a more manageable figure. I plan to donate and it would be easier to determine how much to give if I knew how much was needed.

All the best,
Mike

16.9 billion, Mike. Make it a loan....and if I don't restructure by March 31, I have to give it all back! :laugh:

:sigh:

Look, don't break the bank here--every little bit helps. Just do any little amount you can afford.

And many thanks to those who have chipped in thus far--it's much appreciated! I would have to see if I can scrape up anything in the way of a thank-you gift (probably as a downloadable). I may be able to set something up... :wink:

Thanks for letting us know about the need.

I can't imagine 2009 without my daily visits to the Corner.

Thank you.

Phil

Heeeeeyyyyy, if it's good for the Auto Industry, it's good for A&M Corner... After all they're both in Michigan...!:cool:

Dave

--Noting that this "Bailout", which is really a LOAN (Don't worry, our "Greedy Big-3 Corporations" PROMISE to PAY THIS MONEY BACK, even though it's been sitting around for 100's of years!) couldn't have been timed more PERFECT!

--That is, now that our Auto Industry is back on its feet again, I have unfortunately had to turn down my Last Three Job Assignments, 'cause they were on the night of my Wife's Mock-Class Reunion, her Company Christmas Party and 'cause last Friday, before the shut-down during Christmas & New Years, the Weather was a Beeeaaattt-$%^&*#!!!
:cussing: :mad:

Was happy to send a donation, Neil. Don't know what I'd do without the corner! You people are a fountain of information. And, what's more, you're lots of fun! It doesn't seem like I sent much.

Have a question for you, Neil. Do ALL purchases at Amazon count or are only purchases for A&M artists count? We do buy lots from them, but not only music. I've bought books, kitchen stuff and some small electronics, too. I've used the link at the top of the page here to access Amazon, thinking it would give you a donation. Maybe it didn't?

Marilyn

Marilyn: ALL Amazon purchases count. Some are a smaller percentage, but even downloads and gift certificates count now. They have a good program...it's just that the economy has been so bad and we've had very few sales as compared to the past. I'd say were down about 80% than where we were just a few years ago, actually...

THanks again to those who sent a few greenbacks for the server kitty--it's much appreciated. Still have a ways to go on reaching the target, but it's coming in!

BTW, I've had a few e-mails about donations via check--I really do prefer Paypal, only because I don't have a proper PO box and we don't like to give out our home e-mail address online. I've had an "issue" or two in the past...

Well, much as a hesitate to use my Credit Card which I have designated for emergency purposes and buying gas, I decided to charge an undisclosed sum, but hopefully helpful amount to--, well, "Preserve The Sound at A&M Corner"...!

Very glad to do it, and Long Live!

Dave

Mike Blakesley said:
ALL Amazon purchases count.
That's good to know. We're thinking about buying a huge-screen TV so if we happen to get it at Amazon, will definitely go thru the Corner link!

Monitor prices on their goods DAILY. They often will throw something on sale, not even advertised. I was thinking of putting together a page or notification system where you could watch an item on Amazon and get an alert with the daily price. Wish I had time to program it these days, though.

One good tip: sometimes, Amazon Canada has better deals than the U.S. I was looking at a new Nintendo DS since my earlier one got damaged. It'll be a few months until I can do anything, but it doesn't hurt to shop. :D U.S. Amazon price was $129, where Canada is $139. But with the exchange rate, today's price would be $114 U.S. I'm not sure what I get charged as a conversion rate, but Nintendo hardware can never be discounted. They will not ship electronis to the U.S., but I have a friend in Canada who I can ship it to, then meet up in Port Huron to exchange it.

We're still shy of the goal, but closing in slowly. Thanks again to everyone! Have a good New Year!

Just an update: a few more are still trickling in and we're approaching our goal. As I've said before, thanks much! I don't know where we'd be without everyone who visits here daily and keeps everything flowing.

Hello all,

We still have a few stragglers hopping in with donations, and we're inching a bit closer to the "break even" goal! I wanted to, again, thank everyone who's sent donations our way. It's much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom