• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Al Hirt Resurrected...musically

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a commercial for a new movie, "Kill Bill". Anyway, the background music was Al Hirt playing the old tract from the "Green Hornet" TV show. Al Hirt is my second favorite trumpeter next to the Chairman of the Board, Mr. Herb. To me Al Hirt was one of the best jazz trumpeters ever but he commitied the big Mortal Sin. He played commercial and made a gazillian dollars. I have some early recordings of Al Hirt and he could have fried Arturo Sanduval's clock who is tied for my third favorite next to Doc. But what I like are musicians that are open and "tollerant" to all styles of music which just burns the elitest classical & Jazz musicians because if you don't think the way they do you are a "sell out". Later amigos.........Jay

I know what you mean about AL HIRT. I love him too. Many people just know him for "Java" and "Sugar Lips" but if they heard his live recordings they would know how seriously he took his art. A lot of people dismiss players like him and HERB ALPERT because they played more pop music than jazz. I understand where they're coming from but I love pop music just as much as jazz and can appreciate both equally.
One of the funniest comments I've read about AL HIRT is from GEORGE FRAZIER's liner notes for MILES DAVIS' "Greatest Hits" album. He says he's friends with DAVIS and when they get together they discuss topics like "Is AL HIRT necessary?" :o He spends the whole of the liner notes discussing MILES' fashion sense and then concludes, "When not selecting additions to his wardrobe, Miles Davis is a professional trumpet player. People who know about such things tell me he shows a lot of promise."
Another comment that has stuck with me over the years was made by MAYNARD FERGUSON when I met him backstage of a nightclub after a performance in 1990. I mentioned being a big HERB ALPERT fan. He smiled and shook his head and said, "You know, with all the money that guy's got, you'd think he could afford a set of chops!" :rolleyes: I just smiled. To each his own. :D

I'd be curious to know what the "big guys" think (or thought) about some of these new breed of $mooooth Jazz trumpet players. :laugh:

I have a two-fer CD that has Honey In The Horn and Our Man In New Orleans. The former features "Java", where the latter is more of a jazz recording. I think Johnny Mandel may have arranged the tracks, and it features a mid-sized jazz combo (somewhere between a big band and quartet). Two different sides of Al Hirt...he gets to open up a bit on the jazz recording, which is a good thing in comparison to his pop side.

Count me in as a big fan.

I think Al did his best playing on his first RCA recording, Al "He's the King" Hirt. The one with "I Love Paris" as the opener. "Live at Carnegie Hall" is good, too.

I think it's "At The Mardi Gras" Lp that opens with the best "Bourbon Street Parade" I've ever heard. Or it might be "Our Man In...(?)

He was classically trained you know, I had the pleasure of hearing him live four times.

He now has a statue next to his friend Pete Fountain at 300 Bourbon street in the Quarter.

Al Hirt is among the all time great trumpet players. He had fantastic abilities on the horn and was as good as, or better than, any other professional player, past or present.

He did provide some pop tunes that he is recognized for, but these are no measure of his stature as a trumpet player...

Al Hirt had a great sound and tremendous technical skill. He was indeed a virtuoso. I am certain that he attended the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music.

Al was one of the first trumpet players that I listened to seriously, along with Herb Alpert and Rafael Mendez...

A true legend on the horn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom