• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Albert Herbert

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakeicer

Was watching a re-run of the old "Cybill" television sitcom and heard the character who plays her daughter talking about the parents taste in music. She said her mom listened to some guy named Albert Herbert, who is from Tijuana.

cakeicer said:
Was watching a re-run of the old "Cybill" television sitcom and heard the character who plays her daughter talking about the parents taste in music. She said her mom listened to some guy named Albert Herbert, who is from Tijuana.

There was an old "Roseanne" episode where the oldest daughter got drunk with some of her friends and she was talking about "some guy named Al Herbert with a brass band" that her parents would listen to. She even had the What Now My Love LP handy.

Capt. Bacardi
...moving this thread to the BOTB since it's a Herb variation, online... :wink:

No wonder HA doesn't re-release his 1960's stuff. I think he wants to be taken serious and then there are the jokes: "the parents taste in music" + "some guy named Albert Herbert, who is from Tijuana." It must make him go nuts. Merry Christmas......Jay

On a more serious...note :wink: ..."Eb" on GREEN ACRES actually has 'The Tijuana Brass' in his record collection--forgot what the couple of other groups were that he mentioned when he had a guest visiting in the 'Loft of The Barn' where he lives with 'The Douglases', on one episode I saw.

Dave

"Later, AMIGOS..." :bandit:

I recall an episode of "ALICE" where the girls went to Waitress Vera's trailer and looked through her record collection. She talked about being a huge Burt Bacharach fan and held up several LP covers to prove the point.
JB

Eb also listens to Dizzy Gillespie. I always wondered if the artists mentioned there were actually favorites of Tom Lester, OR if the writers put them in as a sort of joke that this country bumpkin farmhand would actually listen to jazz/pop.

BTW, the first season of Green Acres will be out on DVD on January 13. Can't wait!

Mike Blakesley said:
Eb also listens to Dizzy Gillespie. I always wondered if the artists mentioned there were actually favorites of Tom Lester, OR if the writers put them in as a sort of joke that this country bumpkin farmhand would actually listen to jazz/pop.

If the latter is the case, then I have seen (and bought) just as many albums by Sly & The Family Stone,Earth Wind & Fire, The O' Jays, The Spinners, and of course, Chic, not to mention countless other R&B Artists, in rurual areas here in Michigan, as I would in the Urban-most Areas of Detroit!

There'd be lots of Rock, too! But Flat Rock, MI was just ONE place where I'd drive my '75 Mark IV to and shove one 8-track after another in the tape deck, playing those 'unusual finds' on my way back home! :nut:

Dave

...realizing this post would be good for the 8-Track Topic in For Animals Only, too!

With LPJim bringing up "Alice" I just had to pop in to make a post! :D

I know I've heard a bunch of music/artist references on various shows, I can't remember many though. I know on "The Golden Girls", Dorothy was desparate to get tickets to see Sinatra in concert. Of course, she had a tough time getting tickets. She ended up with three tickets, Rose won four tickets through a contest, and Sophia got tickets through "her connections". It is a funny episode.

I used to watch a show on Nickelodeon called "Hey Arnold" which featured a fictional Vegas style singer named Dino Spumoni. He seemed like a cross between Sinatra (his voice and general accent) and Dean Martin (looks and name "Dino").

As for any TJB, I've yet to hear any TV references about them. :cry: The closest thing to a reference (that I've seen/heard) is the "Dating Game" theme on Game Show Network. At least I'll see Eb and his records since "Green Acres" is supposed to return to TVLand in 2004... I haven't seen that show in a while, dahling. :)

Joe, who thinks that "Alice" reruns will come back "when donkeys fly!"

Mike Blakesley said:

BTW, the first season of Green Acres will be out on DVD on January 13. Can't wait!

Tom Lester is a brilliant man in real life...he went to medical school before becoming an actor. I don't know what he's doing now, though.

Dan

On an episode of NBC's Gemini Man (1976) Ben Murphy's character was protecting a woman whose brother was a musician. As Murphy discovered the woman was deaf she mentioned that her trumpet playing brother had gone pro -- "Herb Alpert made him an offer he couldn't refuse" were her words. I often wondered if her character's last name was Findley :wink:

--Mr Bill

I kinda freaked out when on Melrose Place in 1996, Brooke- played by Kristen Davis, mentions to Allison- played by Courtney Thorne-Smith, that her favorite song was Herb Alpert's "This Guys in Love with You". Caught me by surprise!
.....embarassed that I remember the show! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom