🎵 12" SotW Amii Stewart: "Knock On Wood" b/w "When You Are Beautiful" (Ariola Records AR 9000)

1704852302055.pngAmii Stewart
"Knock On Wood" b/w "When You Are Beautiful"

Ariola Records AR 9000
Released 1978

A1: Knock On Wood / 6:10 ("Long Disco")
B1: When You Are Beautiful / 3:44

"Knock On Wood" is a remake of the Eddie Floyd hit on Stax Records.

Original Eddie Floyd version:

Heard Amii Stewart "Knock On Wood" on TV's "Soul Train" (on record) in early 1979 (edited version)!!! Also Otis Redding duet with Carla Thomas did the song (from the album "King & Queen") in 1966.

That was one of my favorite songs to play when I was dance DJ'ing. Everyone liked it. I usually just played the single version though -- I didn't do beatmatching, I played a whole range of sounds from rock to disco and inbetween. So I didn't have a lot of use for the 12" versions of anything.

I always WANTED to try the beatmatching thing but didn't have the high-end turntables required to do it. Nowadays with computers it'd probably be easy.

I used to make cassettes with two turntables, and one of them was a direct drive with speed control--it didn't take much to try and beat match, but I had more fun putting the same song on both turntables and tweaking the speed ever so slightly to get a wild phasey effect.

Clubs me and my buddy went to always played the 12-inch singles, and the radio station I listened to always played them as well, so that was my preferred format. Other than they always sounded so good, since the level could be cut higher. That and the 12-inch versions usually had better mixes, back when the "name" engineers were mixing these singles. Bob Clearmountain, Tom Moulton, etc.

I always wonder what happened to Amii Stewart. A quick glance showed she had additional records, but on our stations (and like on the charts), she never had another big hit.

Back
Top Bottom