• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Another Song Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

ullalume

Hey all,

I downloaded the great remix of the above song a few years ago, but damned if I can find it now.

Does anyone have any idea where it is online.

cheers

neil

I had this Sweet Memory set for many a year, and until reading of it (Another Song) on this forum, had not listened to it (I assumed it was the same
arrangement found on the CTY album).
Then, when it was mentioned as a new mix on Sweet Memory, I dug it out from that set, listened to it, and WOW!

It was like a brand new song. Wonderful!

If you go to Youtube and search Carpenters Another Song remix - I found it in there - the Joe Osborn new bass track IS amazing.

Interesting. Someone saw that recent thread and posted it- the timing is far too close to be coincidental.

I was debating whether or not to listen to it. I kind of wanted to hunt the SM set down and listen to it first that way. I don't like a youtube video with low audio quality to be the way I first hear something. But I did listen, and I'm glad. I feel let down. There's been all this hype about the remix. People made it sound like it was new and incredible. It's really not all that different. The bass line is very similar, it's just more prominent. I like some of the subtle changes, but I don't like the louder bass line. It's too repetitive and not funky enough to be pushed up that high in the mix. To me, it takes away from the tension that the keyboard, flute, and drums build up. That's part of the beauty of that song, the later parts of it really keep you on edge. Having that bland and unenthusiastic bass line dominate ruins it for me.

I know most people will disagree, and that's okay. This is just my opinion. I'm just glad I listened to it now so I don't feel the need to hunt down the SM set with such urgency.

I think you need to put this into perspective.
This song was not given to us for people to listen to on you tube or download from some free sharing site and then tear it down dissect it and tell the world about why it's all wrong. The song was part of a package deal from the Sweet Memory collection and I would almost assume this was a added gift from Richard for that specific collection, sorta like here you bought this wonderful set and I'm going to give you a bonus tucked inside. There are some fans that won't pay for that collection because of the price and that is all well and good but when you get something for free and then complain about how it's not good....in my book there's something wrong with that picture. It's no wonder Richard doesn't want to release any other material when these are the type of responses he obtains from fans.

Just my thoughts. :)

I think it's more about being appreciative for what we are given. It wasn't just Richard that gave us that track but Karen is in there too. When we are given something new, remix or what have you, especially in light of what happen to Karen, everything is a bonus to me. I guess I take what we have received from Richard more personal than the technical aspect. I guess it's just who I am.

I personally enjoy this mix for how the vocal is, and how the background vocals feel a little more pronounced. You can really hear Karen say "the warmth of you had gone" in that first line. I have to say, the fresh bass line intrigued me at first -- I'm just "meh, okay" with it now.

At least it doesn't suffer as badly as "Love Is Surrender". That kickdrum is jarring -- and I usually have no issues with even the most sweetened remixes and subtle oddities (ie Top of the World kickdrum that never bothered me until it was pointed out).

Last edited:
I think part of the attraction of this remix is that it was such a surprise. It's an album track, known by few, never been a B-side, rarely anthologised and yet he chose to 'tinker' with it and include it on the set. Just a nice, unexpected gift for the fans :)

Given their habit of including a B-side from a previous album on a current single (e.g. 'We've Only Just Begun' b/w 'All Of My Life'), I think it would have been amazing to include 'Another Song' as the B-side of 'Superstar'. I know the usual trend was to alternate musical styles with the A-side but what a pairing that would have been! Both gloomy, dark and foreboding, plus the 'groupie' theme would be continued in the title of the flip side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom