• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Another...TJB Tribute Band

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have mixed feelings about all tribute bands. Good for them, and I suppose everyone - TJB included - at one time or another has done cover versions of the hits of other performers, but...

I played in one for several years, and yes, it was great, and I had a great time. During that period, we had the opportunity to meet and actually play for Herb Alpert and the TJB after they had performed here locally on a previous evening, as they were getting ready to leave this area.

One of the things I distinctly recall Herb telling us went something like this..."sounds great, but you'll never make it by copying me." I think he was reiterating something he has often said regarding his own musical experience...that originality and finding one's niche, style, sound, and "presentation" was the key to the TJB...and the same will be such for anyone else who really and truly aspires to follow in those footsteps. I took his comments very seriously, and have thought about what he said for many years since. We did a good job of imitating - even down to the look and suits we wore on stage - but, at the "end of the day", we were not them, and never would be.

One of my former "bandmates" plays now, and has for many years, with what is perhaps the foremost Beatles tribute band in the world today. They are very good at imitating - in look and sound, and even down to the exact equipment used by the original, and if that is the goal - great. But they are not the Beatles, and never will be, and no disrespect intended at all - they are probably the world's greatest "imitators" of the original.

Same opinion when it comes to Elvis impersonators.

So, mixed feelings...one the one hand, I had a great time and have many fond memories, but today that is what I have. And, that is enough for me. I guess what I am saying is when I want to hear the TJB, I listen to the TJB...same with the Beatles. I always go back to the original, because it is the original that will always be the best and the one for whom I would find myself as a fan.

My opinion...FWIW...

Cap'ndave,

I agree with your mixed feelings about tribute bands. But I think the point of some tribute bands--or at least the point of mine--is just to perform great music and to introduce it to people who are not familiar with it, or may have forgotten about it, in the same way that a symphony orchestra is not trying to "be" Mozart or Beethoven... It's just great music and it deserves to be played. Simple as that.

We do try to have fun during our performances, because a relaxed, informal feel is a big part of the TJB's sound. We talk about the history of the TJB in our concerts and point the audiences toward their recordings.

I could see how Herb Alpert might not be that keen about tribute bands... after all, he did all the creative work. He is an artist, and originality is key to an artist, and there's nothing original about a tribute band.

Anyway, I've heard a lot of recordings of TJB tribute bands, and I can tell you that none of them really gets the TJB sound right... That's part of the magic of the TJB sound: It can be copied but not duplicated.

The best way for Herb to show how this stuff should really be played would be for him to get the band back together and hit the road. I think we can all agree on that!!!

Dan

ps, Here's a clip from a recent concert of ours at a retirement home in Virginia. Thanks to Joe Jackson, who is really a first class trombonist, for letting us have some fun with him. (And, coincidentally, and speaking of bands using the same equipment, he is playing his Williams trombone, which is the same model as Bob Edmondson's):

http://www.youtube.com/user/blacksombrerobrass#p/u/5/D7V2dH6QHxk

Cool.

As mentioned, I played the TJB for several years back in the sixties and early seventies, had a great time, and I think actually honored the original. And yes, it was done with great respect and I agree with all you say.

What was actually funny, however, was when a group of kids actually wanted to copy us.

I guess what I am saying is when I want to hear the TJB, I listen to the TJB...same with the Beatles.
Thing is, today, if you want to see a live concert, you cannot have the Beatles, the TJB, Elvis, the Carpenters or any of the others, because they no longer exist to play live events. So you're left with a tribute band. As long as the band sounds a lot like the original, and the music is done with respect, I have no problem with them.

At our county fair a couple of years ago, we had Hotel California which is an Eagles tribute band. I tell ya, if I didn't know they weren't really the Eagles, I would have sworn they were -- they sounded THAT good. And the ticket price was about 1/20 of what the real Eagles are charging!

We get to see British Invasion, a Beatles tribute band all the time over in the England pavilion at Epcot. They're often quite good. You sometimes get the real Beatles feel on some songs - other songs are only a close approximation.

We've also seen several ABBA tribute bands over the years, some were really good, others just passable.

I'd love to hear a good TJB tribute band.

Harry

Hey Bob,

To wear uniforms or not has been an issue for our tribute band... the TJB had so many looks. We usually just wear assorted guayabera shirts.

I've been thinking of ivory colored dinner jackets, if I can find some we can afford:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82zmuzDM7d4

What do you guys think? What would be a good look for a TJB tribute band?... the matador vests might look a little silly these days... tuxes with ruffly shirts? ??

Thanks,

Dan

Personally I think it would be a bit of a mistake to go for the Mexican look. Herb has said that he wasn't really trying for the mariachi sound - in fact as you know, the TJB's sound quickly moved away from that style after the first three albums. I think a "classy" look would be better. If you were a Baja Marimba Band tribute I would thinlk the opposite -- a good part of their personality was their Mexican style. But the TJB calls for more of a jacket-and-tie look. That's just my 2¢!

We started out in the Mexican look - a little like the Baja Marimba Band - sans the cigars and the in desperate need of a shave and haircut look - but abandoned it shortly after we started to play so-called "better" gigs in "better" venues. It just wasn't appropriate anymore and didn't fit the classier and dressed up environments.

One of our favorite outfits was lime green sport coats, matching ties, yellow dress shirts, white pants, and a pair of casual boots - like desert boots or chucka boots.

We also had white double breasted suits with royal blue dress shirts with French cuffs, dress boots, and a blue and white striped tie. There was also a white dinner jacket with tux shirt, cummerbund, and butterfly bow-tie.

We always had matching outfits...never went for the "do you own thing look". It was a band, and the group look was important. We focused on looking like a group. My advice would be to always wear matching outfits if you are a TJB tribute. However, the 1970s version did not do so...so it depends on which era you are following - we were the 1960s.

I'm sure if you go to a good men's store, they can fix you up. At least that worked for us back in the old days.

Nothing wrong with going for the "Beat Of The Brass" era tux's. Classy & stylish.
Easier, and certainly cheaper, than going for the Dolores Erickson era cream look.

If I got the call to play in a TJB tribute band, I'd insist on the proper outfits. Having said that, I'd don the shaving foam for a show if the money was right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom