Any other collectors of the Japanese releases?.

Wayne Crozier

I've been collecting the Japanese releases now for around two years, and found it a very good hobby to pursue. I originally bought "Song For You" due to me knowing that Japanese pressed records back in the day " when I was a youngster in the late 70s and couldn't afford new vinyl " , were always quality pressings and in the most part had great sound quality.
The "Song For You" came with an OBI sash strip and other bits and pieces which made for a great package and I decided to try and get more of these in complete form with obi strips and lyric sheets etc.
Well after two years I completed the basic set bidding on the auction site and buying elsewhere my last one which took me months to locate was "Horizon" due to not many of these having their fragile and unique to the collection thin plastic OBI cover and inner plastic cover with the carpenters logo sticker.
I would say that I have paid hundred of £ to complete the basic set with import , postage & packing and customs duties included. If anyone would like me to take pictures and add them here I would be pleased to do so.
The only other one I'd like is the greatest hits album but that always seems to go for good money , in fact a quadraphonic version last evening sold for well over $150 US on the auction site.

How awesome it is for almost 50 years there are fans who care so much and are so diligent and who seek things that I never knew existed. I would love to see pictures!

I've been collecting the Japanese releases now for around two years, and found it a very good hobby to pursue. I originally bought "Song For You" due to me knowing that Japanese pressed records back in the day " when I was a youngster in the late 70s and couldn't afford new vinyl " , were always quality pressings and in the most part had great sound quality.
The "Song For You" came with an OBI sash strip and other bits and pieces which made for a great package and I decided to try and get more of these in complete form with obi strips and lyric sheets etc.
Well after two years I completed the basic set bidding on the auction site and buying elsewhere my last one which took me months to locate was "Horizon" due to not many of these having their fragile and unique to the collection thin plastic OBI cover and inner plastic cover with the carpenters logo sticker.
I would say that I have paid hundred of £ to complete the basic set with import , postage & packing and customs duties included. If anyone would like me to take pictures and add them here I would be pleased to do so.
The only other one I'd like is the greatest hits album but that always seems to go for good money , in fact a quadraphonic version last evening sold for well over $150 US on the auction site.

I'd LOVE to own this collection, for the collector's box alone:

CARPENTERS Japan MINI LP SHM-CD x 13 titles + PROMO BOX set!! 4988031180723 | eBay

Great stuff, Wayne! I too would love to see your collection.

I have a small collection of Japanese vinyl. Unfortunately, not all have obi strips but most do. The sound quality is so much better than the standard US/UK vinyl from those years and the extras such as booklets, posters etc. are so great. The Japanese fans were really lucky. They still get the best CDs and box sets, apart from the recent US singles box.

This is my collection of Japanese LPs.

Hello Nick above and to all who posted so far , really like that picture in fact you have got a lot of albums there ( compilations ) that I haven't got , some I have got obviously the studio and live editions, I will post a picture of mine when I get the chance and can find a pair of ladders to stand on to do the excellent photo style you have done there. I notice a few promo copies which I don't have in my basic collection , as you know the promo copies have two obi strips.

I think you have quite a few promo copies there , four of those above are promo I think with duo Sash strips

At the Palladium - double sash promo , don't have wish I did.
Horizon - likewise don't have the promo.

They are really good to look at I have some you dont have but me and you together have most of the bases covered , tremendous to see those pics!. The only ones you and I don't have are 1969/73 and the 4 LP boxed set. But I'm sure someone will chip in and prove me wrong!!.

Last edited:
Amazing collection above, would really compliment my collection as I haven't got most of these (had chances to buy them all, but decided to concentrate on the discography first), I did actually nearly buy six of the above at once but the postage and import duty was nearly $200 or £150 here which for six albums which would have cost me $40-$80 was rather astronomical.

I'd love the 4 LP box set but it's too rich for me at the moment. The last one I saw on eBay was £185+!

I have started to collect the studio albums, again for the superior quality and extras, but these have not arrived yet.

Amazing collection above, would really compliment my collection as I haven't got most of these (had chances to buy them all, but decided to concentrate on the discography first), I did actually nearly buy six of the above at once but the postage and import duty was nearly $200 or £150 here which for six albums which would have cost me $40-$80 was rather astronomical.

I was lucky to get several of those on a trip to Japan a few years ago. I needed an extra suitcase! lol

I've got a few Japanese releases, mostly CD singles (such as Karen's solo single Make Believe It's Your First Time, and the 1995 issue of I Need To Be In Love with the advert on the front for the show from 1995 that it was a theme song to) and the albums Treasures, Live In Japan (CD) & As Time Goes By. Off the top of my head, the only Japanese vinyl I have is Richard's solo single Who Do You Love and the Christmas single Jingle Bells/Silent Night/Ave Maria.

^^Yes, Stephen...that original cover of Palladium was the only one which caused me to shudder
as I approached clerk at storefront ! (Not even the Close To You Cover is that awful).

Nice to see others who enjoy Japanese Pressings !
By the way,
Close To You, The Tan LP, and 4- LP Anthology are all well-worth acquiring--if at reasonable cost !
Also, does anyone have a copy of the (apparently) obscure :
World of Carpenters
(circa 1972) ?

I've been considering ordering the Tan Album SHM from CDJapan. After all, it is my favorite of their albums. From these boards I have gleaned that CDJapan is very reputable and I have no problem purchasing from them.

IMG_1170_zps6dnznasd.jpg

Above is the full image of all the basic collection

Lovelines was the only discography album not to be released in Japan which is a shame I feel as it would be nice to have that. Personally I'd like to collect the compilations as well but here in the uk the postal system sting you with a £12 surcharge on top of import duties incurred. Made in America cost me well over £50 to get to England after the customs dept has added their surcharge on top as did a few of the others !. I nearly abandoned this quest due to the custom and import charges.
Also when you are in competition bidding on rare items such as these you can be outbid time after time ( happened to me many times on Horizon especially, and I've lost count on the times I've bid and lost on greatest hits 69/73 ). One day I'll get there!'

I collected a lot of the Japanese 7" singles with picture covers pre-eBay days. This was probably cheaper than bidding, as they were all a set price, but was still quite expensive all up. I also have some of the LPs, especially those that included booklets or posters. I've collected some Carpenters Japanese promo posters and commercially-produced posters for fans, too.

On a trip to Japan at the end of 2015, I bought most of the studio albums on CD on that enhanced format, (I can't remember what it's called). From memory, they were under $20 each, brand new. I also bought a special CD version of 'The Singles'. (I'm not at home at the moment, so can't check to remind myself what is special about it. I'm sure it's been featured on this site, somewhere).

There are chains of second-hand CD-and-book stores in Japan that have many different versions of Carpenters compilation albums. I think the chain I'm thinking of is called "Book-Off'. I saw Carpenters compilation CDs there that I never knew existed.

One interesting experience that I had in Japan was going into a CD rental store and taking some CDs to the counter to buy. I speak some basic Japanese, but don't read any of the script. There were no clues that this was a rental place and not a store, as far as I could see. Not a lot of English seems to be spoken in many areas of Japan and the store attendants had quite a job getting me to realise that these CDs were for hire, not for sale. The Japanese people are so friendly, helpful, welcoming and accommodating, though. They're amazing!

I'd love the 4 LP box set but it's too rich for me at the moment. The last one I saw on eBay was £185+!

I have started to collect the studio albums, again for the superior quality and extras, but these have not arrived yet.

After seeing your images Nick I have decided to collect the Japanese compilations albums now!, I've noticed that you can pick these up a little cheaper if your prepared to accept copies without the OBI strips?. Sellers seem to add a good few $ to the price for the OBI strips. Yesterday I saw a few on the auction site being sold by the same seller so I decided to dive in!.
I've done a little research and have sort of compiled a Japan discography of compilations on vinyl records.

Here it is ,maybe I've missed a few but hopefully not.

1. Golden Prize GP-206. 1971
  2. Golden Double Deluxe ANW 31-32. 1972
  3. The Singles 1969/73 AMP 7003. 1973
  4. Carpenters NAX-020. 1973
  5. Gem of Carpenters GEM 101-2 GEM 1001-2 1973 1977
  6. Super max 20 MAX 207 1973
  7. Golden Prize Vol 2. GP-225. 1974
  8. Gem of Carpenters. GEM-1051/2. 1975
  9. 12 Best Pops 2 X-62 1976
  10. Stereo Laboratory Vol.19. GXP-6001, SALBT-1201 1976
  11. Solitaire. GXI 9001. 1976
  12. 12 Best Pops X-61. 1976
  13. Superdisc Carpenters 77 GEM-1201/2 1977
  14. First 10 Years AMP 3001/3. 1979
  15. Sounds Capsule Vol 1. AMP-10001. 1979
  16. Carpenters Vol 1. Yesterday Once More AMP-25003. 1981
  17. Carpenters Vol 2. Desperado AMP-25004 1981
  18. Yesterday Once More C38Y3171. 1985
  19. Anthology AMP-98001-4. 1985
  20. A&M Gold Series Carpenters Vol 2. C28Y3057 1986
  21. Sounds Capsule Vol 2. AMP-10002. 1979 ??? Not certain on this one but I feel as if I've bid on it in the past.

Last edited:
What I really love about these Japan albums is the book like covers, they really are like hard back book covers with solid card stock which is hard to bend. I don't know why but there is something very tactile and quality about these, you really feel like whoever designed these went that extra mile and it meant something to them?. Maybe that's my take on it I don't know?.

After seeing your images Nick I have decided to collect the Japanese compilations albums now!, I've noticed that you can pick these up a little cheaper if your prepared to accept copies without the OBI strips?. Sellers seem to add a good few $ to the price for the OBI strips. Yesterday I saw a few on the auction site being sold by the same seller so I decided to dive in!.
I've done a little research and have sort of compiled a Japan discography of compilations on vinyl records.

Here it is ,maybe I've missed a few but hopefully not.

1. Golden Prize GP-206. 1971
  2. Golden Double Deluxe ANW 31-32. 1972
  3. The Singles 1969/73 AMP 7003. 1973
  4. Carpenters NAX-020. 1973
  5. Gem of Carpenters GEM 101-2 GEM 1001-2 1973 1977
  6. Super max 20 MAX 207 1973
  7. Golden Prize Vol 2. GP-225. 1974
  8. Gem of Carpenters. GEM-1051/2. 1975
  9. 12 Best Pops 2 X-62 1976
  10. Stereo Laboratory Vol.19. GXP-6001, SALBT-1201 1976
  11. Solitaire. GXI 9001. 1976
  12. 12 Best Pops X-61. 1976
  13. Superdisc Carpenters 77 GEM-1201/2 1977
  14. First 10 Years AMP 3001/3. 1979
  15. Sounds Capsule Vol 1. AMP-10001. 1979
  16. Carpenters Vol 1. Yesterday Once More AMP-25003. 1981
  17. Carpenters Vol 2. Desperado AMP-25004 1981
  18. Yesterday Once More C38Y3171. 1985
  19. Anthology AMP-98001-4. 1985
  20. A&M Gold Series Carpenters Vol 2. C28Y3057 1986
  21. Sounds Capsule Vol 2. AMP-10002. 1979 ??? Not certain on this one but I feel as if I've bid on it in the past.

22. Carpenters Love Sounds Special GSW307

Back
Top Bottom