Anyone read this?

Opera diva to sing a little Carpenters, Broadway tunes
Soprano Debbie Voigt is not sure what she will perform when she takes the stage with Arizona Opera
for its “Big Date Night” Valentine’s Day dinner and gala Saturday night in Phoenix.
But don’t be surprised if in the mix of Broadway tunes she slips in “A Song For You” by the Carpenters.
Early fan of Karen Carpenter:
“Karen Carpenter had one of the most beautiful voices ever, I think.
I just grew up listening to her all the time and sort of wanted to emulate what she was doing with her voice. ...
It was just the anniversary of her death the other day and I was just thinking of everything we missed out on losing her so soon.”

Source:
http://tucson.com/entertainment/blo...cle_3e1007c5-c593-5165-bbb0-7b299f0c172a.html

Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon,
Kim Gordon on her new memoir, 'Girl in a Band':

"I was trying to explain the sociology of what was going on back then. But the lines that were created have fallen away. Look at the way people listen to the Carpenters' music. When they first came out, the songs sounded like an ad for a bank you'd hear on the radio, they were so conservative in the midst of all this groovy stuff. It was hard to listen to that (in the '70s), but now they are appreciated. That's what happens to history. The context of the time disappears, and now the line between genres is pretty much obsolete. I don't know if it's good or bad. Now I can hear a Smashing Pumpkins song and think, "That sounds good."
..... History changes music and art in a way, because the context for it slips away and it's rediscovered by a younger generation in a new context."

Source:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...on-girl-in-a-band-20150212-column.html#page=1

On The Run
http://www.gateschilipost.com/article/20150211/Sports/150219994/?Start=1
"Listening to the radio as we drove from a recent doctor’s appointment,
Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta (a.k.a. Sandy and Danny) declared their undying love in the Grease hit, “You’re the One that I Want.” Suddenly, I’m 16.
And just as suddenly, I hate my body. That’s right, Olivia; those skin-tight leather pants, that off-the-shoulder crop top — after 35 years, your slinky getup still makes me feel self-conscious and ashamed of my inferior exterior.
No one had to tell me that I didn’t measure up. Before I could recover from the flashback, the song faded and the late Karen Carpenter began her classic, “Only Yesterday.” Remember Karen? She died at age 32 from heart failure due to anorexia. “In my own time, nobody knew the pain I was going through…”
It was a surreal, poignant moment of clarity. I cried for my beloved, for myself and for every woman who felt that our worth was measured by our waistline.Words have terrific, irrevocable power, and images can linger forever in our memories.
How we talk to ourselves and to each other matters. So let’s compliment each other’s strength and admire our tenacity,
but look past the outside packaging to see the gifts inside
."

Nov 17, 2014:
"Some of the best times during the show were when Alpert talked about the good old days,
glimpsing the happenstances that wound up making history.
Then, someone asked how Alpert came across the Carpenters.
He heard a tape of their music, eyes closed, and “felt like [Karen Carpenter’s] voice was right next to me.”
He went with his gut, signed them, and for a year, nothing happened. “Then, I gave them a song called, ‘Close To You.’”
A chill came over the audience."

Source:
http://www.axs.com/herb-alpert-s-in-the-mood-tour-jazz-alley-sells-out-for-living-legend-28615

Simply a remembrance of things past (see Schmidt Reader pp.195-203):
Ray Coleman, Melody Maker 1976,
"The new show begins with an immaculately suited Richard walking out to bow to the audience, a bow which
emphasizes his great height.
----
" It's awful, but Karen reappears quickly enough to repair the damage... She looks splendid."
---
"There's an air of desperation about the show.....the big question is whether they've reversed too far and skated
too thinly over their real strengths, the songs."

Brief Excerpt from a brief biography in,
Carpenters...Songs from Ticket to Ride and Close To You, 1970 Walter Kane Publisher:
"We wish to express grateful acknowledgement to A&M Records..."
"Carpenters are one of the biggest musical duos in America today.
The rise of the Carpenters to popular music stardom has followed a relatively linear path
from Richard Carpenter's accordion lessons in New Haven Connecticut to a fine summer day
in Hollywood..."
-----
"Richard Carpenter didn't like playing the accordion and soon found the piano more to his liking."
-----
"Karen Carpenter wanted to tag along with big brother, to do that she not so uneventfully decided to
learn to play an instrument, settling on the drums."
---
"Herb Alpert suggested that the group record...
Close To You...went to number one in six weeks.
Second album titled after the single and produced, like
Offering, by Jack Daugherty, with arrangements
by Richard and some pretty vocals by Karen, who plans to continue drumming with the group despite
her popularity as a singer."

Excerpt from The Story of Pop, Special Edition 1975:
"...owing to the 'pure' image projected by the Carpenters (and, fostered whole-heartedly by their
record company and publicists) Richard and Karen attracted a whole heap of perhaps unwarranted
criticism. And, yet, it was this very image combined with the originality of their sound that made them superstars.
So, whether they liked it or not, the Carpenters had to face up to the fact that their image was as important a part of their
success as their music. The Carpenters see themselves as normal people. They do seem to be as unaffected and natural as
all the publicity surrounding the two would have us believe. A brother and sister whose simple aims of singing and making
people happy allows for maximum identification with the broadest possible audience."

From Orlando Sentinel, July 1st, 1985:
Singer Richard Carpenter Sets His Sights On The Future
July 1, 1985|By Frank Spotnitz
Richard Carpenter is back in the studio to record his first new album since sister Karen died in February 1984 from anorexia nervosa.
Carpenter said it still is difficult for him to talk about Karen's death, explaining that when she died it was as much of a shock to her family as to the public
He prefers to talk about the success he and his younger sister had, including a decade of hits such as ''Rainy Days and Mondays'' and ''Top of the World.''
If he wanted to, Carpenter could put a small dent in that wholesome image he has been stamped with since ''Close to You'' hit No. 1 in 1970.
He smokes cigarettes, for one thing, and then there's his taste in music, which, as you might expect includes people like Perry Como, but surprisingly has room for bands like the Mothers of Invention and Led Zeppelin, too.
These revelations only put a dent in Carpenter's image, however, because from all appearnces most of that wholesome image is deserved.
Carpenter, 38, still lives in Downey, Calif., where his parents raised him and Karen since Richard was 12.
His admittedly non-controversial hobbies include collecting classic cars and, ''well, I bowl.''
Putting what he listens to aside, he is only comfortable performing in the softer style for which the Carpenters are known. Carpenter said his first solo album, which he is now recording, will be in the same vein.
He recently gave his blessings to a double-record compilation, Yesterday Once More, in which he remixed some of their hits,
and a compilation of 15 promotional films to be sold as a videocassette.
There also is enough unreleased material for another Carpenters album, most of it recorded from 1980 to 1982, but release of that still is uncertain.
More definite plans are under way for a television film about Karen Carpenter's life. Carpenter is co-producing the film and working with the writer on how to tell her story.
Carpenter said he and his sister never set out to project the ''goody- goody'' image that he believes eventually hurt their career.
'The music was soft and we just looked kind of like your average two people walking down the street,'' he said. ''So really the press, of course, they labeled us.
It kind of snowballed after that.''
The media's depictions smarted a bit at first, but the Carpenters grew used to it.
Then came the disco wave of the late '70s and Carpenters songs, which had withstood competition from psychedelia and heavy metal, could no longer crack the Top 10.
He said he is not sure that the time is better now for one of his albums,
but then ''I don't want to sit down and say, 'I wonder if this is a good time and look at the charts and everything.'
''If we had done that, we never would have put out 'Close to You' because that was different than anything that was on the air at that time.''
Carpenter expects to release his record by next spring, following up with a tour.
''I'm going to miss Karen, of course, both personally and professionally as I have since she passed on,'' he said. ''But I know what I want to do and how to do it. And I'm rather excited about it.''
Performing With:
Disney All-American College Orchestra at Epcot Center July 19-21.

There also is enough unreleased material for another Carpenters album, most of it recorded from 1980 to 1982, but release of that still is uncertain.

That's interesting and he must have said it in this 1985 interview for the writer to quote these dates. We all know now that only 2 tracks from 1980-1981 surfaced on 'Lovelines' and none from 1982. It makes me wonder what other tracks were in his mind that were recorded between those years (and still lie in the vaults), that he was obviously considering for future release.

That's interesting and he must have said it in this 1985 interview for the writer to quote these dates. We all know now that only 2 tracks from 1980-1981 surfaced on 'Lovelines' and none from 1982. It makes me wonder what other tracks were in his mind that were recorded between those years (and still lie in the vaults), that he was obviously considering for future release.

There's a few other 1980 MIA outtakes that he could've used for the final album-along with one finished track from the 1982 sessions.

By 1989,Richard evidently changed his mind on using those tracks-and instead decided to use some of Karen's solo tracks for the final album.

If the final album was assembled & released in 1985,it probably would've been a slightly different set of tracks-and,most likely,nothing from Karen's album.

Here, words from the Tour Book, Raydell Publishing, 1971:
"With Osborne at the controls, Richard and Karen blended their voices...
with the tape that resulted, they made the rounds of various record producers, perceptive
producer Jack Daugherty..listened to the tape..heard in it the magic of the Carpenter sound."
"There first album,
Offering, was a success and a cut from the album clicked as a single."
"Apart from being the pretty lead vocalist of the group, Karen plays heavy drums."
Members of the Carpenters Family are: Gary Sims, Karen Carpenter, Doug Strawn, Richard Carpenter, Danny
Woodams and Bob Messenger.
"
Photos (include): "...with their record producer Jack Daugherty."
Tour Book 1972: Much like the previous Tour Book in text, with additional photos, including "...Jack Daugherty, record producer."
Tour Book 1973 (Swans on Cover):Biography Altered a bit--" The tape was given to Herb Alpert, and Alpert thought the tape was great."
"From their very first Album Ticket To Ride, a single clicked on its own."
(No text mentioning Jack Daugherty , lack of his photograph.)
UK Tour Booklet,1973: "The tape was given to Herb Alpert."
"The Carpenters first album was Offering."
"Close To You LP has sold close to four million."
Text includes everything from the Booklet of LP The Singles 1969-1973
and the Billboard Supplement from 1973.
Horizon Booklet,1975:
"...The Carpenters were able to get their tape to Herb Alpert..."
The Carpenters Road Family--
Tony Peluso ,Electric Guitar
Cubby O'Brien, Drummer
Danny Woodhams , Electric Bass
Roger Young, Mixing Engineer,
Doug Strawn, Electric Clarinet
Bob Messenger, Bass
Curt Mercer, Lighting Engineer
Sherwin Bash, Manager
Robert Wellborn, Sound Engineer
Mark Rudolph, Road Manager
Sandy Holland, Hair Stylist and Wardrobe
Ken Black, Stage Equipment
John Bettis, Richard's writing collaborator
A Kind of Hush Tour Booklet UK 1976:
Last Page:
" Ken and Mitzi Welch...wrote special material for the Live Show
Joe Layton...producer and director of the Live Show
Personal Manager, Jerry Weintraub
."
A Kind of Hush Tour Booklet 1976:
"Thank You...To be able to do something you love and have people appreciate it is surely one
of the greatest joys in life. An audience can say thank you for a good performance with applause,
but those onstage rarely have the opportunity to return the favor. So we would like you to think of this
as our way of giving you a standing ovation. Karen and Richard.
"

The Next Tycoon : Jerry Weintraub Helped Launch the Careers of Singers,
Actors and Musicians. Now, He's Launching Himself--
as Head of a $461-Million Film Production Company.

May 24, 1987|FRED SCHRUERS | Fred Schruers is a contributing editor of Rolling Stone.
------
"Meanwhile, Weintraub's management career began to suffer setbacks.
Client Karen Carpenter died of complications from anorexia in February, 1983 (Weintraub is currently producing her cautionary TV-movie biography).
Then, in 1984, John Denver abruptly walked into Weintraub's office and fired him. Weintraub blames the split on a whisper campaign by some of Denver's intimates charging that the manager was getting too big a cut of his client's income. But he figures the break was inevitable. "At some point artists want to grow up and be their own person." Still, it stung. "I considered him a great friend. He was in my will as one of the executors of my estate, taking care of my kids should anything happen to me. We were that close."

------

Entire LATimes Article:

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-05-24/magazine/tm-2154_1_jerry-weintraub

Radio and Records, March 12th, 1976, page 14:
"The Carpenters showed their generosity by presenting their long-time
Engineer Ray Gerhardt, with a 1976 Jaguar XJ-S in appreciation
for his excellent contributions to the Carpenters, having been a steady
team-mate since their recording of Ticket To Ride."

Most Added: Carpenters, There's A Kind of Hush,
Now playing at over 80% of the reporting stations (page 33 w/chart)

Source:
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-RandR/1970s/1976/

People Magazine, January 11,1982:
Superagent Jerry Weintraub Does It His Way for Sinatra, Denver, Dylan & Co.
"Weintraub knows everyone. As a personal manager he runs an incredible musical stable: John Denver, Bob Dylan,
Neil Diamond, John Davidson, Wayne Newton, the Beach Boys, the Moody Blues and the Carpenters.
He has produced more than 50 concerts for Frank Sinatra. His credits as a movie producer include Nashville and Oh, God!
As a political kingmaker, he has raised millions for candidates ranging from JFK to George Bush. "Every door in this business is open to me,
" Weintraub says without exaggeration, "because people know I get things done."
"The Carpenters chose him because, Richard Carpenter recalls, "we heard Jerry was somebody who actually molded careers—like Brian Epstein did with the Beatles."

For those with an interest in archival/historical documents,
This is itinerary for President Nixon on August First, 1972,
when he met Karen and Richard Carpenter.
Here:
http://nixontapes.org/pdd/1972-08-01_31.pdf

Fascinating stuff, thanks for posting! Whoever wrote these logs must have been stuck to the president like glue. It's detailed pretty much down to the minute. Amazing to see that he only chatted with them for 8 minutes before he was off again!

Another piece of the 'puzzle' ?:
March 31st, 1979 Billboard Magazine....
Robert Finkelstein, new president of Weintraub' Management Three and Concerts West
"...The future is rosy, says Finkelstein, who works closely with Weintraub in running the two firms.
Management Three will be expanding into new areas, he says. He will be working intimately with
talent like Bob Dylan, Neil Diamond, John Denver, The Carpenters,John Davidson , Pointer Sisters,
Harry Chapin and the Moody Blues."
"Some call Management Three "picky,....and, we are."

Source:
https://books.google.com/books?id=KCUEAAAAMBAJ

Well, that explains the John Davidson connection. It's too bad they didn't get to work with some of the other talent on that list (besides John Denver of course).

Jerry Weintraub, in May 28,1978, words regarding John Denver:
" He figured viewers would respond to the singer the same way he had.
And, in one night on TV more people would see him than in years of touring."
"Weintraub signed a deal with ABC, that gave Denver five guest appearances on
network variety shows at $2500 a shot. Later, Weintraub talked again with ABC ,
This time they signed him for two specials , for $800,000
."

(This has a familiar ring, in regards to the duo.)

Source:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...0k0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=c2cEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5276,5782382

July 25, 1975, Radio and Records:
Record Industry Profile, Harold Childs,A&M
"...When I came back to L.A., I was very lucky as several of our acts were just starting to break wide open.
When I got there, the Carpenters had just come out with Close To You, and Cat Stevens had just broken very
very strong,as had Joe Cocker. Within a period of six months after I had moved back, all these acts started happening,
and we began hiring people and the company (A&M) just started mushrooming
."

Source:
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/

Check out this outstanding article from Billboard Magazine where Richard talks in depth about the multi tracking and the stacking of harmonies and vocals, it's really interesting, never seen this article before, cool to read this way back when it was just happening.

July 14, 1973 Billboard Magazine

JUMP TO PAGE 16 (Long article)
CREATIVE TRENDS
CARPENTERS 8 Yr Team Blends Multi-Multi Dubs and Techniques

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Billboard/70s/1973/Billboard 1973-07-14.pdf

June 24, 1973, Tuscaloosa News:
Karen and Richard Carpenter Set Performance Tonight
" The nation's Number One recording duo, Karen and Richard Carpenter, will perform tonight.."
"...This years recipients of the two top awards in the recording industry..."
"...Backing them are Gary Sims on Guitar, Bob Messenger on electric bass,sax and flute,
Danny Woodhams on electric bass, Doug Strawn on clarinet and organ, Tony Peluso on electric guitar
and organ and Jimmy Anthony on the drums..."

Source:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...gMdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=PJwEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5151,4426539

Back
Top Bottom