Anyone read this?

Interesting.... never thought I'd see Karen being the subject for a Bible teaching. I do recall Werner Wolfen saying in hindsight, he should've appointed someone to look after Karen. Similar thoughts.

Surprisingly, I discovered a Bible verse that unintentionally applies to her struggle:

"They acted like fools in their rebellious ways, and suffered because of their sins. They lost their appetite for all food, and they drew near the gates of death." (Psalm 107:17-18)

Karen was just like the rest of us- created in God's image but sinful and in need of a Savior.

Surprisingly, I discovered a Bible verse that unintentionally applies to her struggle:

"They acted like fools in their rebellious ways, and suffered because of their sins. They lost their appetite for all food, and they drew near the gates of death." (Psalm 107:17-18)

Karen was just like the rest of us- created in God's image but sinful and in need of a Savior.

I think better we keep religion out of this thread.

From an ABC News story today:- 'An early passion' -
From very early on in her life, there was no doubt what Natalie Imbruglia wanted to do when she grew up.
"I used to say often that I wanted to be a star, which makes me cringe now," she says.
"But also, [I'm] really envious of the confidence that I had.
"That gets beaten out of you, I think, in an industry like this." Undeterred by her parents' refusal to enrol her in singing lessons, Imbruglia practised her craft in her own way — sometimes putting on Whitney Houston performances in the backyard, or trying to emulate the voice of Karen Carpenter on road trips with her family. She began her professional singing career with her cover of Ednaswap's 'Torn'. It reached number one in Sweden, the Top 5 in the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Australia and New Zealand and the Top 50 in the US. Her debut album, ‘Left of the Middle’, (1997), sold seven million copies worldwide. She had four further Top 10 hits in the UK and elsewhere.

Ico print Print |
Ico email
Email | Facebook | Twitter

NEW HAVEN

Banner years​

A series of tributes to New Haven natives.
By Caroline Lester ’14 | Jan/Feb 2020
Caroline Lester ’14 is a freelance writer and audio producer in New Haven.
Kim O'Malley'Malley

Kim O'Malley​

Karen Carpenter and Robert Moses, Class of 1909, Ernest Borgnine and Simeon Jocelyn are among the New Haven-connected luminaries included in the New Haven Notables series. View full image

Kim O'Malley'Malley

Kim O'Malley​

View full image

Kim O'Malley'Malley

Kim O'Malley​

View full image

What do an Academy Award winner, the city planner who reshaped New York City, and the first Puerto Rican known to serve in the US Armed Forces have in common? They have a connection to New Haven.
Those connections, says Tom Strong ’67MFA, a graphic designer active in local projects, are “something worth celebrating.”
He and a few friends created a campaign to make sure New Haven-ers know they’ve got people to celebrate.
Strong has spent much of the past 50 years revitalizing the neighborhood where he works. He sits on the board of commissioners for a specially designated district called Chapel West. The district incorporates Chapel Street, from York to Sherman, and most of the blocks adjoining it. Property owners in the district support Chapel West through a special 2.5 percent tax that funds services including daily sidewalk and gutter cleaning, maintaining seasonal flowers and shrubs, as well as other services intended to make the district a particularly attractive and memorable part of the city.
One of those services is Strong’s campaign for the New Haven Notables."
Walk down Chapel Street and you may notice a number of large banners hanging on buildings. Each banner has a large black-and-white print of a New Haven-er’s face, with a short account of what makes its owner notable and how they ended up in New Haven. The posters range from 5 to 12 feet wide. The three notables mentioned above are Meryl Streep ’75MFA, Robert Moses, Class of 1909, and Augusto Rodríguez. Some—like Streep, Karen Carpenter, and Norman Lear—are well-known names. At least 15 of the 31 honored notables have degrees from Yale, says Strong.
Others were a little harder for Strong to track down. He is proud of highlighting Simeon Jocelyn, a white New Haven abolitionist who attended the Yale Divinity School. In 1831, Jocelyn announced a plan to form a “Negro College” in New Haven; in response, a white mob attacked his house. Eight years later, as a key player in what came to be known as the Amistad case, he was one of the New Haveners who helped a group of 39 enslaved Africans to lobby for their freedom and return home to Africa. Unlike the other banners, Jocelyn’s—which hangs on Howe Street between Crown and George—is simply an enlarged photo, “not changed into art,” Strong says.
Among Strong’s favorite banners is the one highlighting Moses. Like most of the other banners, Moses’s features a black and white portrait. But his is overlaid on a graphic of New York City’s waterways and parks.

"... Now, he says, the place has changed; for one thing, many Yale students live there. And he argues that programs like Chapel West and the New Haven Notables have helped. It costs between $400 and $700 to make a banner and $500 to hang one. In direct sunlight, banners will wear out after four years; most are now going on six. Currently, there’s no more space for new banners. Yale won’t feature any on buildings that it owns, and every other wall has been filled..."

Here:

Last edited by a moderator:
New Haven Banner Update, # 2. Thank you Harry.
Since "Starving for Perfection" will be shown in New Haven tomorrow evening, I tried to locate the banner of Karen this last weekend.
A consortium of local New Haven businesses centered around Chapel Street in downtown had set up their own "special services district" (SSD) to encorage economic development in the western part of downtown New Haven. They called their group Chapel West Special Services District. Ten years ago, they started a new cultural/tourist attraction called "Notables of New Haven". These were originally 13 banners commissioned to be created and displayed on business facades to encourage walking tours of the Chapel St, West area. The "Notables" being recognized were persons who had ties to New Haven by either living there during their life or having attended Yale University and had become famous in their profession. The program has grown to include 31 such banners.
Karen was honored with a banner and it was displayed on a building at 1142 Chapel Street {alongside a banner honoring Robert Moses of NYC fame). Unfortunately, the building selected had been abandoned for several years and fell into a state of disrepair and blight. The building was condemned by the City of New Haven in 2019 and was torn down. Since that time, Karen's banner has been kept in storage waiting for a new building owner in the area to adopt it. Hopefully that will happen at some point in the near future.

And Richard actually took lessons at Yale and performed live with some of his music buddies at a few small venues in the New Haven area prior to the move to Downey.

IMG_1341.jpeg
IMG_1339.jpeg
IMG_1343.jpeg
It's been over 20 years, but a few photos my wife took at the time took during a visit to New Haven. That is Debbie Viauso in front of the Nathan Hale School where she was still a teacher. She was so kind and gracious and invited us into her mother's home to show us some gifts and memorabilia from Karen and Richard. New Haven's finest just happened to be out front of the former Carpenter home at the time and were very nice and mentioned the uptick in visits by curious fans.

Really cool story and photos Jim. Debbie Vaiuso has always struck me as a lovely lady. How good that you got to see some gifts she’d received from Richard and Karen.

Back
Top Bottom