• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Cat Stevens MONA BONE JAKON (A&M SP 4260)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member

CAT STEVENS
Mona Bone Jakon

A&M SP 4260

sp4260.jpg

This first A&M album by Cat Stevens, born Steven Georgiou on July 21, 1947 in London, marked his return to the music scene following a near-fatal bout with tuberculosis requiring a year's convalescence. Earlier he had recorded for the Deram label and had achieved status as a song writer, most notably on "Here Comes My Baby," a hit for the Tremelos (#13 in '67).

Side One: Lady D'Arbanville (3:40)/ Maybe You're Right 3:20/ Pop Star 4:10/ I Think I See the Light 4:00/ Trouble 2:50.

Side Two: Mona Bone Jakon 1:38/ I Wish, I Wish 3:45/ Katmandu 3:17/ Time 1:26/ Fill My Eyes 2:58/ Lilywhite 3:40.

All songs writen by Cat Stevens, Irving Music Inc. BMI

Additional guitar Alun Davies/ Bass John Ryan/ Percussion Harvey Burns/ Flute Peter Gabriel/
Producer Paul Samwell Smith/ Additional arrangements by Del Newman/ Front Cover illustration by Cat Stevens/ Photography by Richard Stirling.

Reissued as SP/CD 3160 followed by a recent A&M/Uni reissue of MBJ and other titles in the Stevens catalog.

MONA BONE JAKON entered the Billboard charts on 3/20/71, peaked at #164 and remained in the Top 200 for 16 weeks.
JB

PS: One of my favorite LP covers; reminds me of the Top Cat cartoon series I enjoyed as a kid.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but . . . wasn't this one of the last A&M LP's to use the famed layout on the top (albeit here on the right side instead of the left) that characterized their late-'60's album covers?

Also, I vaguely remember producer Paul Samwell-Smith's name from The Yardbirds' mid-'60's period.

And of course, we can't forget the famous notice on most of Mr. Stevens's A&M product: "Licensed by Island Records, Ltd., London."

Yes, this is among the last of the rectangular boxed logos. This one reads "Stereo ... A&M logo ... records and tapes ... SP 4260." The logo doesn't appear on 4261, appears on 4262, 4266, 4267, 4268 and 4269 ... doesn't appear on 4270 thru 4273 but shows up on 4274 (the first Supertramp album released in Canada/UK only).

"Mona Bone Jakon" was covered, with extra verses added, on HATER (A&M CD 0137), a 1993 Soundgarden offshoot project.

Also Licensed by Island Records were many Fairport Convention albums, the Free catalog, Jimmy Cliff's SP 4251, Spooky Tooth and Joe Cocker.
JB

NP: Cat Stevens MONA BONE JAKON "I Think I See the Light"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom