🎵 AotW AOTW: Dino & Sembello (A&M SP 3657)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Dino & Sembello
DINO & SEMBELLO

A&M SP-3657

sp3657.jpg

Described as a Northern Soul act, Dino and Sembello's single "Dancin' Jones" was later covered by Nicolette Larson.

Tracks include:
Dancin' Jones (A&M single # 1653)/ Feels So Good/ Holy Moment/ See the Light (A&M single # 1667) and Jump the Canyon.

Performers included John Sembello and Ralph F. Palladino.

JB

Other musicians: Meco Monardo (Trombone), John Tropea (Guitar)--Still my Favorite!--, Gordon Edwards (Bass), Rick Marotta (Drums)

Not to be confused with Michael Sembello of "Maniac"-fame; actually John Sembello wrote "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Theme"...

Other Songs:

On The Road Again -- Not the Country song Willie Nelson would do, and often where everyone sings the C&W Standard when "leaving", I usually belt out this version... :goofygrin:

Neighborhood -- ...Here's a picture of my Dad's old car, never got us very far... Yeah, yeah...Same with ME...! :D ...Here's a picture of my Aunt Ruth, me there smilin' with my chipped tooth... --Now I have a GREAT-Aunt Ruth...! Ah, but NO "Chipped Teeth"...! :badteeth: --Nostalgia song I can relate to!

Pearl's A Singer -- Jerry Lieber & Michael Stoller song, covered by Bernadette Peters and A&M Artist Elkie Brooks; also a Single for these guys...

Superstar -- ...Hey Superstar, here I am wishin' I was where you are... Yes, the envy of the Rock 'N' Roll star everybody wants to be! Not to be confused with "Jesus Christ Superstar" and you Carpenters fans who see the Still-Sealed copy going for 49¢, I'm saving you from buying this by stating this is NOT the Leon Russell song Karen did either...! :neutral:inkshield: :wink:

Very good album and way back when collecting "Albums Guitarist John Tropea Played On" this is one I sure played my guitar along with and thoroughly enjoyed! :)

Dave

So am I to understand John and Michael Sembello are not related in any way......and isn't Meco Monardo the guy who would later record "Star Wars" as a disco number?

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
So am I to understand John and Michael Sembello are not related in any way......and isn't Meco Monardo the guy who would later record "Star Wars" as a disco number?

I don't know about the Sembello connection, but yes, it's the same Meco "Star Wars" Menardo. :agree:

I did see a song done by Hugo Montenegro which was on his The Good, The The Bad and The Ugly LP, which may or may not have been the title track, but a John Sembello was responsible for writing it... Likewise, I'm not sure if John and Michael are related, as Michael came on with "Maniac", years after John sort'a disappeared... :neutral:inkshield:

Meco Monardo is a long-time Music Arranger whose credits included Stephanie Mills, Gloria Gaynor and Trini Lopez... He made Movie Soundtrack-themed Disco Albums under his first name "Meco" in the late-'70's and early-'80's and he's credited with playing Trombone here...

Dave

Here's the late-Billy Eckstine singing the Leiber/Stoller-written "The Best Thing", that is on a single which I had no idea existed:

b/w "Faraway Forever (Love Theme from THE GETAWAY)", written by Quncy Jones w/ Alan and Marilyn Bergman, both produced by Herb Alpert and Quincy Jones; A&M 1858

-- Dave

Meco Monardo was also the conductor for Salt Water Taffy 1968 bubblegum song "Finders Keepers" (Buddah) re-issued on Rev-Ola on CD. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Ennio Morricone wrote The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. IIRC, John Sembello co-wrote several of Sergio's 80s selections. I think John and Michael are brothers, I seem to remember reading that somewhere, but maybe I'm misremembering.

I also recall reading that John and Michael Sembello are brothers...

--Mr Bill

Hi This is so cool to see. My dad is Ralph Dino. Yes Michael and John are (were) brothers. John passed away 2013. I love reading about my dad on these forums it's such an honor to see his work interpreted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom