• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Flying Burrito Bros. BURRITO DELUXE (A&M SP 4258)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member

FLYING BURRITO BROS.
Burrito Deluxe

A&M SP 4258

sp4258.jpg

The Flying Burrito Bros. second album, and the final one to feature Gram Parsons, coincidentally is AOTW the week of his birthday (11-5-46). Like the band's first effort, GILDED PALACE OF SIN (SP 4175), this was a groundbreaker in the fusion of country and rock music. It featured the first recorded version of "Wild Horses," which later became a hit for the Rolling Stones. Leon Russell did prominent session work, playing piano on this number along with "Man in the Fog."
Parsons, a former member of the Byrds, died Sept. 19, 1973 of a drug overdose after a brief post-Burritos solo career.

Side One: Lazy Days 2:58/ Image of Me 3:20/ High Fashion Queen 2:05/ If You Gotta Go 1:47/ Man in the Fog 2:30/ Farther Along 3:58.

Side Two: Older Guys 2:30/ Cody, Cody 2:43/ God's Own Singer 2:04/ Down in the Churchyard 2:39/ Wild Horses 6:20.

The Burritos: Gram Parsons (vocal, piano); Chris Hillman (vocal, bass, mandolin); Bernie Leadon (guitar, dobro); "Sneeky" Pete Kleinow (pedal steel guitar); Michael Clarke (drums).

Special Credits, besides Leon Russell: Byron Berline, fiddle; Leopoldo C. Carbajal, accordian; Frank Blanco, percussion; Tommy Johnson, tuba; Buddy Childers, cornet and flugelhorn.

Producers: Jim Dickson and Henry Lewy
Engineer: Henry Lewy/ Art Direction: Tom Wilkes/ Photography: Jim McCrary.

SP 4258 entered the Billboard Top 200 on 5-12-71, charted 9 weeks and peaked at #176.

CD availability: reissued in 1986 by Edsel/Demon as EDCD 194. Later reissued as a 2-for-1 package with GILDED PALACE and recently reissued as as a 2-for-1 with both albums and bonus tracks.

JB

GREAT website LPJim. Lucky you getting to meet Janis Ian (plus all the others you got to meet - it is overwhelming) . I see the album she autographed was I think the Between the Lines album. Two of my all time favorites of hers are on that album. I still listen to them in my car with a custom made cd all the time. I just love her "Between the Lines" and "Bright Lights and Promises" cuts. IMO those two cuts are her best. Societies Child still rates up there though. I think she is one of the most underrated female vocalist of all time.

Thanks for visiting. Yes, Janis is a great singer/songwriter and a great person as well. She did a 2-night University lecture/concert, which is where I met her. Just happened to mention A&M artist Artie Butler played on the SOCIETY'S CHILD album in conversation. She offered to pass my email address on to him, he contacted me and I sent him a MISS JONES cover to sign a few weeks later. Couldn't have arramged that that without her help.
I also would recommend her latest, GOD & THE FBI, which contains many enjoyable tunes as well.
JB

Back to the AOTW. While BD was Gram's last studio album with the Burritos, it was not his final A&M appearance. SLEEPLESS NIGHTS (SP 4578, later SP 3190) came out in 1976, a mixture of earlier unreleased band material with solo stuff. The talented and photogenic Emmylou Harris sings on 3 tracks. Unfortunately she's not in the photo art anywhere.
The 1972 double album CLOSE UP THE HONKY TONKS (SP 3631) contains some non-album tracks. Another 2-LP set, HONKY TONK HEAVEN (A&M 87 593 XDT) was made in Holland in 1973.
JB
NP: Flying Burrito Bros. "Close Up the Honky Tonks"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom