• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Hustler - PLAY LOUD (A&M SP-4556)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Hustler
PLAY LOUD

A&M SP-4556

sp4556.jpg

SIDE ONE

Money Maker (Haynes) 3:37/ You Had it Coming to You (Haynes-Llewelyn) 3:55/ Boggie Man (Haynes-Lyons) 4:48/ Break of Day (Haynes-Lyons) 4:48/ Who D'yer Think Yer Foolin' (Lyons-Llewelyn) 2:40.

SIDE TWO

Goin' Home (Haynes-Llewelyn) 3:03/ Strange Love (Haynes-Lyons) 4:22/ Little People (Lyons-Llewelyn) 3:45/ Night Creeper (Haynes) 6:44.

All selections published by Almo Music Corp/ Firefly Music ASCAP
Produced by Roy Thomas Baker

Recorded in Tri Axel Stereo at Rockfield Studios, Monmouthshire
Mixed at Sarm Studios, London, by Gary Lyons
Engineered by Pat Moran

Steve Haynes, lead vocal
Micky Llewelyn, guitars, vocal and harmonica on "Break of Day"

Tigger Lyons, bass and vocals
Kenny Daughters, all keyboards and birdwhistle on "Who D'Yer Think Yer Foolin"

Henry Spinetti, drums and percussion
Roy T. Baker, castanets on "Who D'Yer Think Yer Foolin'"

Special thanks to Mike Stone and John Sherry (Firefly Records, Ltd.), Mike Lowe and Keith Ferguson (Management), Glen and Richard (Road Crew), Pat Moran and Gary Lyons.

To all at Rockfield and Sarm Studios and very special thanks to Royston Thomas Baker and Horace Sennhauser

Cover from idea by Rod Lynton
Art Direction by Fabio Nicoli

Reissued on CD by Progressive Line (PL 573)

JB

Wow, this is a rarity for me...an A&M release I've never even heard of! Never heard of any of the people involved with it either, except for producer Roy Thomas Baker. He did some Queen albums.

Mike Blakesley said:
Wow, this is a rarity for me...an A&M release I've never even heard of! Never heard of any of the people involved with it either, except for producer Roy Thomas Baker. He did some Queen albums.

Mike Stone's name rings a bell: I'm wondering if it's the same Mike Stone who produced some of Journey's albums (Escape, Frontiers), and Tommy Shaw's first solo recording, Girls With Guns.

There's a Mike Stone who's an American Recording Engineer, whom I think is not to be confused with a Mike Stone who hung around with Elvis...

Roy Thomas Baker also produced albums for The Cars and Dusty Springfield's 1978 LP, It Begins Again... I'm sure there may be others...

Dave

Mike Blakesley said:
I spotted Mike Stone too and wondered if it's the same guy. When was this AOTW released, anyway?

From what I can tell, 1975. I don't know how many albums Stone worked on with Journey, but the two I mentioned were from the very early 80s. The Tommy Shaw was mid 80s IIRC. His and Dennis DeYoung's solo albums came out around the same time.

This is Hustler's second album. the first being HIGH STREET (SP 4504) from 1974.

PLAY LOUD came out in 1975. Since neither charted in the Billboard Top 200, there was no debut date to post.

Most of A&M's 4500 series was released in '75 and 1976, and for a long time successive series generally covered two-year periods.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom