🎵 AotW AOTW: Jimmy Cliff ANOTHER CYCLE (A&M SP 4318)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Jimmy Cliff
ANOTHER CYCLE

SP 4318

sp4318.jpg

Here's an item I do not own and never have seen. I found a track list at MSN Entertainment site, where it is listed as having been released by Island Records in 1971. It is possible the U.S. A&M version was not released and that it is not currently in print on CD.

Tracks:
Take A Look At Yourself
Please Tell Me Why
The Rap
Opportunity Only Knocks Once
My Friend's Wife
Another Cycle
Sitting in Limbo
Oh How I Miss You
Inside Out, Upside Down
Our Thing is Gone

I vaguely remember LP cover art showing Cliff riding or standing next to a bicycle but am not even sure that's correct.

JB -- discovering that the more one 'knows,' the more there is to know, online

I.I.N.M., it was around the making of this album that Mr. Cliff's longtime producer, Leslie Kong, had died. Whether this factor had anything to do with its possible non-release in America, is anyone's guess.

As I research AOTWs and build the image library I have found that this and many other items scheduled by way of Island's deal with A&M were ultimately released not by A&M but by Island which at this time was becoming its own label in the US (much as A&M UK was growing into its own entity across the pond)

Might as well jump to SP 4319!

sp4319.jpg

--Mr Bill

LPJim said:
Jimmy Cliff
ANOTHER CYCLE

SP 4318

An item I do not own and never have seen. It is listed as having been released by Island Records in 1971. It is possible the U.S. A&M version was not released and that it is not currently in print on CD.

I vaguely remember LP cover art showing Cliff riding or standing next to a bicycle but am not even sure that's correct.

JB -- discovering that the more one 'knows', the more there is 'to know', online

The LP with Jimmy Cliff on his bicycle (actually, MOTORCYCLE) was WONDERFUL WORLD, BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE. Don't you have that one, Jim? I thought Jimmy Cliff made another album, too; after that one, before this one.

Now Cliff, I thought, made a Double-Album Compilation with tracks from his two Albums (the released ones), much like how Melvin Van Peebles and Phil Ochs did for their albums.

Dave

Mr Bill said:
As I research AOTWs and build the image library I have found that this and many other items scheduled by way of Island's deal with A&M were ultimately released not by A&M but by Island which at this time was becoming its own label in the US (much as A&M UK was growing into its own entity across the pond)
I.I.N.M., one of the first U.S. Island releases was Traffic's LP The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys (prior thereto, their works were released in America on United Artists). From that point up until about 1973-74, Island was distributed in the U.S. by Capitol, then handled on an independent basis before 1979, when they alternated between Warner Bros. and Atlantic before it and A&M were swallowed by PolyGram in 1989.

The point, however, was that at the time of this Cliff release, to quote Lewis Black: "Who knew?!"

Yes I've got WONDERFUL WOLRD BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE (SP 4251) and its CD reissue (3189) as well. The next Cliff entry was SP 4286 WILD WORLD -- title song was the Cat Stevens tune -- but I've never seen it and doubt its existence.

There was a double-LP compilation, REGGAE SPECTACULAR, with Cliff and other artists released in 1973. Presumably this was an expansion of the proposed & unreleased REGGAE CHARTBUSTERS (SP 4256).

Coming up later is a self-titled Cliff album assigned SP 4334. This one's tough to identify, as there are other self-titled releases out there which contain many of the same songs as SP 4251.
JB

LPJim said:
Yes I've got WONDERFUL WOLRD BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE (SP 4251) and its CD reissue (3189) as well. The next Cliff entry was SP 4286 WILD WORLD -- title song was the Cat Stevens tune -- but I've never seen it and doubt its existence.

There was a double-LP compilation, REGGAE SPECTACULAR, with Cliff and other artists released in 1973. Presumably this was an expansion of the proposed & unreleased REGGAE CHARTBUSTERS (SP 4256).

Coming up later is a self-titled Cliff album assigned SP 4334. This one's tough to identify, as there are other self-titled releases out there which contain many of the same songs as SP 4251.
JB

Yes, I've had REGGAE SPECTACULAR, which did contain other Reggae artists, besides Cliff. Never was much into the genre--whereas I know a few who really WERE! :bandit: :winkgrin:

Looks like WONDERFUL WORLD, BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE (which I've also once had) might be all we'll have, then. (BTW, you've got your heading for your "Unreleased LP Cover" at SP 4119 instead of 18.)

Anyway, I'm having fun discussing an AOTW that might have been. :laugh:

Ja Man Dave:cool:

...curious about ONE album, which lies ahead that I've NEVER seen or seen LONG AGO; a group (or ARTIST?) called YELLOWCORN... :| :confused:

Dave said:
(BTW, you've got your heading for your "Unreleased LP Cover" at SP 4119 instead of 18.)

4318 is the unreleased Cliff and 4319 is Fairport Convention...

Yellowcorn was never released and from what I'm learning was never even scheduled. Just assigned a production number and producer then dropped. Same is likely for Children of God which did produce a few singles. Likely an album there is sitting in a vault somewhere. Still trying to find if Jeff Barry's solo effort (SP4394) was ever released or not. So far the evidence says "no." Jim, any ideas on these?

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
4318 is the unreleased Cliff and 4319 is Fairport Convention...

Yes, "UNRELEASED Jimmy Cliff LP" was what I meant to say--anyway, it's been corrected. :oops:

Dave :D

Back in the pre-internet dark ages I used to bid on A&M 45s mostly, and a few LPs in "Goldmine" and "Discovery" magazine auctions. Somehow I managed to acquire quite a few obscurities, even with the possibility of being outbid and/or having my post-card bid lost via snail-mail.

One dealer who had lots of A&M items was Marty Pekar of 'Steal a Record Auctions,' based in Grenwich Village, NY. I sent him my A&M wantlist with a postal money order for one of my winnings. He sent a reply stating he was producer of the Children of God single "This is Our Time"/ "Fallen Angel" (#1052) and that SP 4231 was not released.
When I later found a promo copy of the single, sure enough, there was Pekar's credit on the label.
I'm still hopeful an enterprising reissue label like Akarma of Italy will reissue it.

I've never seen the Jeff Barry WALKIN' IN THE SUN (SP 4394) album. He was producer of both Cheryl Dilcher's BUTTERFLY (SP 4393) and Nino Tempo & 5th Avenue Sax's COME SEE ME AROUND MIDNIGHT (SP 3629), all from the 1973-74 era.

JB

Ah, I was wondering about Barry's WALKIN' IN THE SUN. Didn't he also produce the Rosey Grier '45's?

Nino Tempo made a couple of non-LP '45's -- most notably "Claire De Lune In Jazz"; have a fairly NOIZY copy (B/W "Sister James" -- from the LP). And another I STILL haven't picked up that doesn't apprear on his LP: "Hawkeye" (?). And a couple with April Stevens: "You Turn Me On" and "Never Had A Lover", each B/W LP Tracks, I think.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom