• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Lesley Gore - LOVE ME BY NAME (SP-4564)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Lesley Gore
LOVE ME BY NAME

A&M SP-4564

sp4564.jpg

Lesley Gore was born on May 2, 1946 in New York City and grew up in Tenafly, NJ. She was discovered by Quincy Jones and became a Mercury recording artist at age 17. Her singles include "It's My Party (And I'll Cry if I Want To), "You Don't Own Me," and "California Nights," which was covered on A&M by Wes Montgomery.

Among her film appearances are "Ski Party" and "Girls on the Beach." She continues to tour and record. One of her recent songs, "Better Angels," was featured on television's "CSI Miami."

SIDE ONE

Sometimes 4:37 - featuring the Brothers Johnson/ Paranoia 3:07/ Love Me By Name 5:10 - accompanied by Herbie Hancock/ Immortality 2:55/ Can't Seem to Live Our Good Times Down 4:10.

SIDE TWO

Don't Stop Me 4:30/ Other Lady 3:57/ Along the Way 4:10 - Toots Thielemans on harmonica/ Give It To Me, Sweet Thing 3:17/ Reprise: Love Me By Name 1:51.

All selections written by Lesley Gore (Music) and Ellen Weston (Words) and published by Li'l Bits and the Witch (ASCAP)/ Kidada Music Co. (BMI) execpt "Give it To Me Sweet Thing," published by Li'l Bits and the Witch (ASCAP), Kidada Music Co. (BMI) and Joe Porter Music Co. (BMI).

Produced by Quincy Jones for Quincy Jones Productions
Tommy Bahler, co-producer

Recording Engineers - Peter Chaiken and Chris Brunt (Mumbles Inc.) and Phil Schier, assisted by Larry Quinn
Mixing Engineer - Bruce Swedien
Mastering Enginner - Wally Traugett
Mastered at Capitol Recording Studios

Musical Coordinator - Leslie Drayton
Production Coordinators - Peter "Palm Tree" Long and Beverly Giddens
Press and Promotion Coordinator - Ed Eckstine
Art Direction: Roland Young

Photography - Norman Seeff (cover)
Ilustration - David McMacken.

JB

Eh, a fitting but silly comeback by Ms. Gore... Convincing way to almost prove that A&M Records needed to give her a shot and a reunion with Quincy Jones (producer of her earlier stuff) more than anything else... A $1 copy I played in a store (after finding the SECOND or THIRD time around; the stores I saw this in the first/second time both closed/went outt'a business) seemed to highlight some of the still not-so-memorable moments...

Dave

Where have I been? I had no idea she had released albums after 1967. I noticed she had the Partridge Family singing background vocals(John,Tom and Jackie) I would love to hear this obscure album.

Bit of trivia: Lesley Gore sang a couple of songs on the MIDNIGHT COWBOY Original Motion Picture Soundtrack; "Tears And Joy" (written by A&M artist, Jeffrey Comanor) and "He Quit Me", written by Warren Zevon... (Although she goes by the name Lesley MILLER, I do believe, unless anyone can correct me, that it IS indeed HER!)

About a year ago Lesley appeared at Ann Arbor, Michigan's famous Ark theatre... Wonder what other songs, besides "It's My Party", "You Don't Own Me", "Judy's Turn To Cry", "She's A Fool" and "California Nights" she sang?

Guess I really needed to give this album more of a fair shake... Not everybody who appeared or played on it appeared in the Inside Picture, either...

Dave

P.S. I have 'Tom', I just need 'John'...; --The Brothers Bahler...!!! --on my MySpace...!!! :neutral:inkshield:

Bit of trivia: Lesley Gore sang a couple of songs on the MIDNIGHT COWBOY Original Motion Picture Soundtrack; "Tears And Joy" (written by A&M artist, Jeffrey Comanor) and "He Quit Me", written by Warren Zevon... (Although she goes by the name Lesley MILLER, I do believe, unless anyone can correct me, that it IS indeed HER!)

About a year ago Lesley appeared at Ann Arbor, Michigan's famous Ark theatre... Wonder what other songs, besides "It's My Party", "You Don't Own Me", "Judy's Turn To Cry", "She's A Fool" and "California Nights" she sang?

Guess I really needed to give this album more of a fair shake... Not everybody who appeared or played on it appeared in the Inside Picture, either...

Dave

P.S. I have 'Tom', I just need 'John'...; --The Brothers Bahler...!!! --on my MySpace...!!! :neutral:inkshield:
Lesley Miller is NOT Lesley Gore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom