• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: MICK ABRAHAMS (A&M SP 4312)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Mick Abrahams
MICK ABRAHAMS

A&M SP 4312
sp4312.jpg

This album, licensed by Chrysalis Records, Ltd., was the solo debut of Guitarist-Vocalist Mick Abrahams. He was a member of Jethro Tull and left after their first album, THIS WAS, to form Blodwyn Pig, which released two albums on A&M, AHEAD RINGS OUT (SP 4210) and GETTING TO THIS (SP 4243). Abrahams remains musically active.

Side One: Greyhound Bus 4:50/ Awake 8:49/ Winds of Change 4:50/ Why Do You Do Me This Way* 3:31.

Side Two: Big Queen 4:27/ Not to Rearrange* 3:25/ Seasons 15:02.

All songs written by Abrahams (except *Abrahams-Sargeant) and published by Chrysalis Music, Ltd., ASCAP.

Mick Abrahams plays guitar, seven string slide guitar, mandolin, pedal steel guitar and sings
Ritchie Dharma plays drums, congas and various percussion
Bob Sargeant plays organ, piano, second guitar and sings
Walt Monaghan plays bass guitars and sings

Engineered by John Punte/ Album cover design by CCS Associates/Accidents by Alex Harding/ Produced by Chris Thomas

Reissued on CD by Beat Goes On (BGO) Records of Englans (BGOCD95)

JB

Visit Mick & Blodwyn Pig's official website:
www.squirrelmusic.com

I was still in high school back in the early 70's and of course, a BIG Jethro Tull fan, so I obviously knew who this gentleman was from Tull's first release.

During this time period, I accidently came across this LP in a used bin at a local music store, bought it on principle and expected to hear a similar Tull sound come from these new grooves. Not a chance!! Mick's style of playing & composing had radically changed from his Tull days and what this album represented was a harder edged rock sound with a slight variation on the blues periodically.

The two standout tracks for me are "Awaken" & "Seasons" which are both very adventuresome in content and execution. I would recommend this album to anyone who may be curious as to what musical path Mick was heading into after his short stay with Tull.

I bought the CD many years ago when it was finally released and still play it from time to time just to experience his rock n' roll side.

LPJim said:
Mick Abrahams
MICK ABRAHAMS

A&M SP 4312
sp4312.jpg

Actually, a copy of this LP is currently available at a store near me for a mere $5.00 and in pretty decent shape. Listened to a few cuts, particularily the last track, "Seasons", a real long and "changing" number. And the ramblin' kick-off track "Greyhound", perfect for a bus ad in The States or Greyhound Racing in the U.K.

Dave

...alerting the availability of our last regular 'AOTW' installment, online... :wink:

Just received as an early Christmas present a copy of Jethro Tull's CHRISTMAS ALBUM. Although it's brand new and I've only spun a few songs, I can see this one becoming a Christmas classic.

The album includes several newly composed songs by Ian Anderson, remakes of earlier Tull classics ("A Christmas Song," "Fire at Midnight") and uptempo instrumental versions of vintage carols ("God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen").

There's an A&M connection, with Bassist Dave Pegg of Fairport Convention, who performed with Tull in the '80s (BROADSWORD & THE BEAST), being featured on the new set.

Buy this as a present for yourself, if nobody thinks to give it to you first.
JB

NP: Jethro Tull CHRISTMAS ALBUM "A Christmas Song"
'Hey ... Santa .... pass us that bottle, will you?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom