• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Nils Lofgren - I CAME TO DANCE (SP-4628)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Nils Lofgren
I CAME TO DANCE

A&M SP-4628

sp4628.jpg

Tracks:

I Came to Dance 4:30
Rock Me at Home 4:30
Home is Where the Hurt Is 4:12
Code of the Road 4:51
Happy Ending Kids 3:01
Goin' South 4:03
To Be A Dreamer 3:45
Jealous Gun 3:50
Happy 3:22

Nils Lofgren - guitar, vocals
Tom Lofgren - guitar
Rev. Patrick Henderson - piano
Worrell Jones - bass
Andy Newmark - drums & producer

Available as an import on CD via amazon.com

JB

"...Pocket power, please be tender; Keep me inspired, glue me to my Fender..." --"Code of the Road" (like Carpenters' "Road Ode") is one kick-@$$ track!!!! Michael Mainieri on vibraphone...

Almost as catchy as Cry Tough's title tune and the lyrics to "Code..." should also have been printed on the back of the album sleeve, like its predecessor...

The title track of this one, "I Came to Dance" swings, too... So does the sly & swanky bop of "Rock Me At Home"; that really would've made a sure-fire hit single...

Other than that, a few of the other tunes here are a bit weak... "To Be A Dreamer", "Happy Ending Kids", "Goin' South" and "Jealous Gun" seem uninspiring, confused, diffused and just don't have the same bite...

Although The Rolling Stones' "Happy" tagged at the end does redeem this outing, and "Home Is Where The Hurt Is" boasts a melody as prophetic as the title (Mary Travers of Peter, Paul & Mary also covered it)...

Decent set, but until Nils came along, this was almost a beginning of the end for Lofgren, saved by the obligatory Live double-album, Night After Night, effort which followed...

Dave

I wonder if he ever toured with the Rev. Patrick Henderson. Quite a fellow that. I saw him with Leon Russell on his gospel extravaganza tour in 1973. Incredibly energetic performer. Come to think of it, he did some somersaults or back-flips or something in that show as well (as Nils is famous for).

If Nils' first 3 A&M albums were condensed into one great album, he may be a superstar today, unfortunately, there's too much throwaway filler in them that his legacy is what it is today...shakey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom