AOTW: Ornette Coleman - Dancing In Your Head (SP-722)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Ornette Coleman
DANCING IN YOUR HEAD

A&M/Horizon SP-722

sp722.jpg

Released 1977

Format: Vinyl, 8-track, CD (reissued on Verve)

Produced by Ornette Coleman
Associate Producers: James Jordan and Robert Burford

Musicians:

Ornette Coleman - Alto Saxophone
Bern Nix - Guitar
Charlie Ellerbee - Guitar
Jamaaladeen Tacuma (Rudy McDaniel) - Bass
Shannon Jackson - Drums
Robert Palmer - Clarinet (3, 4)
Master Musicians of Jajouka - Ghaita, Stringed Instruments, Percussion (3, 4)

Songs:
  • 1. Theme From A Symphony (Variation One) - 15:42
    2. Theme From A Symphony (Variation Two) - 11:09
    3. Midnight Sunrise - 4:36
    4. Midnight Sunrise (alternate take)* - 3:50

* CD track only

All compositions by Ornette Coleman

Recorded by Francis Maimay, Barclay Studios, Paris, December 1976
"Midnight Sunrise" recorded by Steve Goldstein, Joujouka, Morocco, January 1973

Mastered by Bernie Grundman, A&M Studios, Hollywood, California

Original Covert Art: Dorothy Baer
Equipment courtesy of Barcus-Berry
Creative Director: John Snyder

Capt. Bacardi

This is a very interesting niche in the A&M catalogue. Up until Captain posted this, I myself had not known Coleman ever recorded for A&M records. I have heard of his albums in this period taking a straight, ethnic approach to the music. Certainly the fact that "Midnight Sunrise" was recorded in Morocco suggests that, and not the least also because the native master musicians also participated.

FWIW, I think it's good to point out here that at this juncture of the 1970s, many by-then Americanized artists were striking out back to the native sound. Sergio Mendes, of course, did just this in Primal Roots, Stillness and Ye-Me-Le. I'm sure others here could suggest other jazz albums like this. Ornette Coleman returned to the African sound with a "free" style, Sergio to the music of inner Brazil.

If I remember right, this was the first time I had ever listened to an Ornette Coleman album, and needless to say, it was an ear-opening experience. The main melody on "Theme From A Symphony" is so simple, but then it just gets crazy afterwards. The rhythm section is just so relentless that I just get drawn into what's happening with the rest of the song. There are times when I just want to turn it off, but then I'll hear a little phrase by Ornette that keeps me listening. If I had to describe this album with just one word, that word would be "intense"! Definitely not for the faint-of-heart! :D

Capt. Bacardi

This was my first Ornette LP as well and I felt the same way. The melody was very catchy (reminding me of the "middle east" sectiojn of Herb's "Aranjuez" which had come out just before I found DIYH in the used bins). Sadly, I've been less impressed with other Ornette recordings I've sampled since this one. Clearly my favorite Ornette Coleman (and dammit, I shoulda picked this up while I was in Japan).

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom