🎵 AotW AOTW: OST: BLESS THE BEASTS & CHILDREN (SP-4322)

Status
Not open for further replies.
W.B. said:
And speaking of which . . . the title was shown on an old jukebox strip for the Carpenters' "Superstar" 45 as "Bless The Beast & The Child."

Harry said:
Interesting about the 45 jukebox strip. Perhaps shortened because of space?

Or maybe it's just an extremely SHORT version of the song..... :D

jfiedler17 said:
Hey, incidentally, does anyone know if the instrumental version of "Down the Road" was ever used in anything (film or television) other than this movie? The reason I ask is 'cause I got a 45 of "Bless the Beasts and Children" b/w "Down the Road" when I was really little and I instantly recognized "Down the Road" but couldn't figure out for the life of me what movie or TV program I knew it from and never did figure it out! I never saw this movie, and I've never seen "The Young and the Restless", either, so those aren't it.

Jeff F.

I just went in to listen to this track to see if I could identify it from anything and I'm drawing a blank. (By the way, it's "Down The Line" - not "Road"). It's possible that it might have been used on one of your local TV or radio stations back then - it was common for stations to scour intrumental records for use as their own "themes".

Harry

"Down the Line" (vocal by Barry De Vorzon) is another song that I wish had been a hit or could have gone on a '45', as perhaps a B-Side; I found a '45' of "Down the Line", but it was an instrumental... This is another album I listen to one side of, Side 1, as Side 2 just seems to be the "OK, but Pretentious, Movie-Music" film score... The Carpenters do the "cute" theme song there, on "1", too; would sound good paired with Side 2 of their Now And Then...

Of interest to those who do enjoy "TV/movie pop" would be Barry DeVorzon's Nadia's Theme LP on Arista... (which has me wondering how Ray Conniff took the melody of it and titled it "Vera's Theme", for his wife, on one of his albums) I managed to get a good Still-Sealed copy of it, and includes the original version of "Theme from S.W.A.T.", heard on the actual TV show... Mike Post specializes in this medium, as well--I have a couple albums of his, too...

Dave

Dave: You have mentioned Ray Conniff "TV Themes". Just to let you know that Collectibles have just released "TV Themes"/"After The Lovin'" on CD which is out Tuesday, March 29. The website is: www.oldies.com

For those of you who have never heard the soundtrack version, I've just completed a video using clips from the film and an MP3 file of the original soundtrack version of Bless the Beasts and Children.

In the film, a shortened version of the song begins when the movie credits begin. It's just the first two verses, then the second chorus of "Light their way..." and then the fade-out conclusion. Another short snippet of the song is heard at the end of movie. The complete song is never heard from beginning to end.

For my YouTube video, I had to make two videos - one with the dialogue and one with the song. Then I spliced them together so that you can hear the complete song during the clips...

Carpenters - Bless the Beasts and Children (original soundtrack version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYYklYRTNIc

UPDATE:

With the recent thread on the single version of "Bless The Beasts And Children" and the Barry De Vorzon stuff, I've been delving into the two albums (this one and NADIA'S THEME) a bit more. Since my comments apply to the BLESS THE BEASTS album, I thought it appropriate to add to this old AOTW thread.

1. Bless The Beasts And Children (Vocal by Carpenters) 3:07 - Much has been written about this; suffice it to say that it is a different mix of the song from the common Carpenters versions. It's surfaced since this thread on CD on the Japanese Single Box.

2. Cotton's Dream 1:57 - This is the same basic recording later released as "Nadia's Theme", but this is the original, shorter version. For the NADIA'S THEME album, the producers extended the song just as it's about to end, repeating the last minute or so before the fade out. Listening on headphones, the edit on the NADIA'S THEME version is obvious at around the 1:50 mark.

3. Down The Line (Vocal by Barry De Vorzon) 1:54 - Barry has a sort-of Paul Williams-ish quality to his voice. This track is unique to this album, as far as I know.

4. Bless The Beasts And Children (Instrumental 1) 2:12 - This is the version that A&M also released as a single, discussed in the other thread. It's a lush orchestration of the title tune, done in the "Nadia's Theme" style.

5. Lost (Vocal by Renee Armand) 2:24 - This is a vocal rendition of the "Cotton's Dream"/"Nadia's Theme" song. Renee had her own A&M album, THE RAIN BOOK, but this track is not on it.

6. Bless The Beasts And Children (Instrumental 2) 2:16 - Yet another instrumental version of the title track, this one starts with a cello and flute before leading to an orchestral reading of it (with a sort-of "heavenly choir" in the loud passages). Unique to this album.

7. Down The Line (Instrumental) 2:50 - Also appears on NADIA'S THEME, but slightly different. Here as the track winds down at around 2:46, a lone harmonica enters followed by a lone trumpet as the track segues into the next one. That doesn't happen on the single b-side or the NADIA'S THEME version.

8. Journey's End 2:01 - Though it's titled differently, this is yet another instrumental variation on the title track, more soundtrack-like in this instance.

9. Stampede 1:43 - Another soundtrack-y instrumental - this time with "Cotton's Dream" as the main melody in a driving beat that kicks in after :30.

10. Free 1:57 - Another repeat of the "Cotton's Dream" theme. A lush, slower version, this one also appeared as the reprise on the NADIA'S THEME album.

11. Requiem 0:47 - A slow, soundtrack-y, dramatic restatement of the title theme for what was no doubt a sad ending to the movie. (I've never seen the film.)

As I went through this album to digitize it, I realized just how incredibly short it is. Dubbing each side seemed only about ten minutes or so. In actuality, it was around 11+ minutes per side, clocking in a total album time of 23:03. That's got to be in contention for one of the shortest A&M albums ever.

Then comes the realization that in fact there are only really three songs here, repeated in different orchestral arrangements, and some not all that different. There's the main title song that Carpenters did, the "Cotton's Dream" melody, and the "Down The Line" song. Thats it!

Harry

I've amassed several copies of this lp. Love Bless The Beasts and The Children immensely. Kind of an anthem for me. No not kinda, it is an anthem for me. Love the vocals lead and back. Message rocks thru the ages. One day I'll get off my lazy arse and commit this to cd. Recent rental of the pic was enjoyable. I'd forgotten most of the film and this view was engaging. CarpenterS shoulda got the song-o-the-year grammy. Instead I think The Morning After from Poseidon Adventure took it home. Still remember the Grammys telecast that night. I recall that Karen looked elegant and very red carpet. However if memory serves, lip-synching on the live broadcast was a letdown. Here it's a little fuzzy thinking, was she out of sync or did I know the tune so very well that I spotted no subtle live nuances. Either way I was entranced and miffed at the loss. Upon "Mornings" release I was like this was a perfect vehicle for Karen. Still Beasts outshines and I'm always pleased to listen to its many incarnations. As a matter of fact I listened to the Superstar B-side more often than the single itself.

Jeff

Here's a clip of the soundtrack version of "Bless...":

The vocal is different in spots and more forceful. Also, Karen's backgrounds are more emphasized. I like it this way. I also love that the oboe is put out to pasture. I never liked Richard's use of it in anything so it's nice to hear this tune stripped of it.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom