• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

AOTW: Quincy Jones - BODY HEAT (SP-3617)

Captain Bacardi

Quincy Jones
BODY HEAT

A&M SP-3617

sp3617.jpg

Released 1974
Peaked at #1 on the Jazz Charts, #1 on the R&B Charts and #6 on the Top 200 Album charts (1974)

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette/CD/Quad

Produced by Quincy Jones and Ray Brown

Arranged by Quincy Jones, Tommy Bahler and Dave Blumberg

Songs:
  • 1. Body Heat - (Q. Jones/L. Ware/B/ Fisher/S. Richardson) - 4:18
    2. Soul Saga (Song Of The Buffalo Soldier) (R. Brown/Q. Jones/T. Bahler/J. Greene) - 4:54
    3. Everything Must Change (B. Ighner) - 5:57
    4. Boogie Joe, The Grinder (Q. Jones/D. Grusin/T. Bahler) - 3:06
    5. Reprise: Eveything Must Change (B. Ingher) - :59
    6. One Track Mind (Q. Jones/L. Ware) - 6:10
    7. Just A Man (Valdy) - 3:30
    8. Along Came Betty (Benny Golson) - 4:45
    9. If I Ever Lose This Heaven (L. Ware/P. Sawyer) - 4:50

Musicians:
Dave Grusin - ARP Soloist, Electric Piano, Electronic Bass Drums and YC30
Herbie Hancock - Piano, Electric Piano, ARP Odyssey and Synthesizer
Richard Tee - Electric Piano
Bob James - Electric Piano
Billy Preston - ARP Soloist and Organ
Mike Melvoin - Synthesizer
Bobbye Hall - Conga, Cowbells, Rhythm Logs, Bb & Db 1962 Buick Brake Drum
Guitars: Dennis Coffey, Arthur Adams, Phil Upchurch, Eric Gayle, "Wah Wah" Watson, David T. Walker
Drums: James Gadson, Paul Humphrey, Bernard Purdie, Grady Tate
Fender Bass: Chuck Rainey, Melvin Dunlap, Max Bennett
Horns: Hubert Laws, Jerome Richardson, Chuck Findley, Frank Rosolino, Clifford Solomon, Pete Christlieb
Tom Morgan - Harmonica
Synthesizer Programming by Robert Margouleff and Malcolm Cecil
Vocal Group: Tommy Bahler, Joe Greene, Jesse Kirkland, Jim Gilstrap, Carolyn Willis, Myrna Matthews, Minnie Riperton, Quincy Jones and Leon Ware
Vocal Soloists: Leon Ware (1, 9), Bruce Fisher (1), Jim Gilstrap (2), Minnie Riperton (2, 9), Quincy Jones (7), Bernard Ingher (3)
Al Jarreau - Vocal Effects (2, 9)

Recorded at West Lake Audio
Recording Engineer: Phil Schier
Mixed by Phil Schier and Quincy Jones
Quad Remix by Phil Schier

Art Direction: Roland Young
Album Design: Chuck Beeson
Photography: Al Kramer (Back Cover), Jim McCrary (Innersleeve)
Cover: from Hatami's Red & Black Collection
Dedication: Thanks to my "Bear" for soul inspiration and Kidada my love lump.

Capt. Bacardi

More soulful than R&B... Whatever "Q" did better OUTSIDE of A&M was a hulluva lot better than what he was doing "within"...

Check out his soundtracks for movies Jones has done on other labels, such as: CACTUS TREE, McKENNA'S GOLD, "$", and many others...

And "Soulful", in this case is not exactly the cliché, "Soul'd Out", but "SELLING OUT"...! :baah:

Dave

I really liked the YOU'VE GOT IT BAD GIRL album even though it was pretty uneven...so I really looked forward to this one, and found it to be disappointing. Not because it wasn't good, it's just not to my liking. It is good as a soul album, but I had been hoping Q was heading in more of a pop direction. That turned out to be the case on THE DUDE which followed this album a couple of years later.

I lost interest in Quincy's albums after this one as well. The actual jazz content is virtually nil - only Hubert Laws' solo on "Along Came Betty" resembled anything close to jazz. I did enjoy Frank Rosolino's muted trombone solo on "Everything Must Change", but the rest of the song did little for me. He definitely went the soulful R&B route with this album and subsequent albums. The vocals on this album weren't very enjoyable. I'm surprised that this album charted as high as it did given that there wasn't much uptempo stuff here.

Capt. Bacardi

Back
Top Bottom