• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

As Time Goes By Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I've been listening to this Cd tonight since it's this weeks poll.

Is the cover pic of Karen with her head down & Richard looking away in the car, is this from the same photo sessions as the pic that is on the main page at: and also on the back of Love Songs

http://www.richardandkarencarpenter.com/

Richard's shirt almost looks purple looking on the official site pic but his shirt looks sorta muted green on the CD cover pic. Wondering if this was from the same car & time period.

Also when were these photos taken? It almost looks like you can see a house in the background with a garage door & another car parked in driveway from the official site pic. Has anyone seen any others from the car photo sessions?

HI Chris

Yes this was from the same photo shoot as the Official Site main page photo, taken I reckon 1975 around the time of the Horizon album making. Richard's shirt is blue, on the ATGB shot I think it's just the difference in camera position that has changed the overhead brightness a bit.

Looking at that now I'm just wondering if this was taken in the street outside their home, the driveway behind them looks a bit familiar - never noticed that before!

I always wondered why they would go for that kind of pose - both of them look totally disinterested on the ATGB shot, almost as if the photographer was deciding what angle to take his 99th picture from, and they were bored stiff waiting, so he captured them like that! :laugh:

Stephen

A couple of things:

These photos were taken by famed celebrity photographer Annie Leibowitz.

I always thought thought that the one on the website was backwards, since it looks as though Richard is behind the wheel on the *right* side of the car. Looking at it now, it appears more as if the wheel is correctly (for the US) on the left side of the car and that he has perhaps 'scooched' over a bit while Karen sits on the edge of the drivers seat for the pose. I came to the conclusion that it's not backwards because Richard's hair is parted on the same side as on the ATGB cover photo.

I'm fairly certain that the actual cover shot for AS TIME GOES BY was one of many taken during the shoot. Photographers take many photos and will study them all for just the right one. This 'in-between-poses' bored-look photo has an intriguing quality about it. I'm glad it was chosen for the cover.

Of the two AS TIME GOES BY releases I have, (US and Japanese), Richard's shirt looks slightly bluer on the Japanese version and slightly greener on the US edition. The US booklet has more contrast than the Japanese cover, with the left side of Richard's face in a darker shadow.

Harry
...with a few notes about these pictures, online...

Believe these fab Carpenters photos -some used for As Time Goes By album covers were shot in late 1974 .....at one point I had a large poster of this photo with Richard's car looking very cool and Karen very beautiful...this is an all time fav photo and rivals Horizon / Now & Then / Voice Of The Heart for best Carpenters album cover artwork .....:cool:

Peter

According to Richard, the Rolling Stone sessions were photographed at the Newville house in Downey in 1974. Some were shot in the garage of the house, others outside -- at the photographer's request they moved the car outside for some photos. I remember seeing the AS TIME GOES BY cover photo back in 2000 when the Carpenters Exhibit opened in Long Beach. Richard was standing nearby and I told him what an amazing photo that was -- this is when/where he went into that story. He said Annie had been very generous in allowing them to use photos from that session in recent years.

Randy

I would bet that Annie has many more photos from that session, would be interesting to see. Wonder if she has these still on film rolled up in some storage area for preservation. Oh do our minds wonder about hidden treasures in vaults & storage areas of fresh new photos or hidden unfound recorded tracks yet to be discovered that could bring Karen back for a moment again.

...I can dream, can't I?.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom