• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

AS TIME GOES BY - US Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
As Time Goes By is finally in stores in the US. There are subtle changes, but nothing drastic.

First, the booklet style is a little different. Where the Japanese version had foldout pages, the US edition is in booklet form. Each song now has full musician credits, and there are newly-credited liner notes from Richard.

Musically, the disc sounds identical to its Japanese counterpart, with one minor and positive change. The last track, "And When He Smiles", is now in its own track number, 15. The 20-second delay is still there though. If you listen straight through, after the medley on track 14 finished, your CD player will jump to #15 and countdown the 20-second delay as negative numbers. So if you hit the track advance button, you'll be able to get to "And When He Smiles."

The new opening paragraph by Richard is somewhat cautionary to new listeners:

Richard Carpenter said:
Think of this album as a one CD boxed set, as it contains quite a number of rarities and curiosities. As Time Goes By is definitely meant for the Carpentersphile. If this happens to be the first Carpenters album you have purchased--as will certainly be the case in several instances--I suggest you run right out and obtain The Singles 1969-1981 or Carpenters Gold, as either or both of these albums will familiarize you with what Karen and I normally recorded.

Somehow I get the feeling that this album isn't big on the promotional 'push' list. I went to one store that listed it as in stock. They said they had exactly one copy, but couldn't find it. The second store I tried also had exactly one copy, and were just putting it in the rack as I arrived. But the Gold package was everywhere - in the sale racks, prominently displayed in the section where one can listen to the tracks, etc. Sadly, it seems as though this one is a bit of an afterthought.

Harry
NP: As Time Goes By - Carpenters

Harry, have you had time to peruse the liner notes? I'm wondering whether this one is worth getting for a person who already has the Japanese release.

As always, we very much appreciate your careful and detailed opinions.

Marilyn,
who is trying to recover from an awful hour with "mother dearest"!! :rolleyes:

With just a quick perusal, I'd say that the track liner notes are virtually identical. The album liner notes may be new, or a version of something else we've read. I don't have the Japanese version with me to compare. I'll attempt a more careful analysis later.

For me, just having "And When He Smiles" on its own track makes it worthwhile. I hated fast-forwarding through that long medley to get to it!

Harry
NP: radio at work

Thanks very much, Harry. I think I may just forget this one.

Interestingly, Amazon is selling the Japanese version for over $25!! I didn't pay anywhere near that.

I must say that I am glad Richard released this in the US for those fans who didn't get the other import or for new fans.

Marilyn

I was surprised on my first listen that the rumored John Davidson vocals were not restored to the "You're just in love" track. Many of the online retailers list John as a contributor. While I enjoy the current version, I was looking forward to "something" unique for the U.S. version. (plus, it always seems a little weird for K&R to be singing a love song duet).

It's a great collection, but if you have the Japanese version, I wouldn't purchase this one again. Unless, of course you're like me, who buys anything Carpenters. By the way, Tower records only had two copies (now, make that one)

Did they keep the full lineup of tracks, or did they axe the three they originally didn't want to put on the U.S. release? I got the "Asian" import, which was identical to the Japanese version but a lot cheaper. I doubt there's much demand left for this title in the U.S.--I'd recommend that if anyone wants it, they buy it as soon as possible. It's probably just a liability on Universal's ledgers at this point.

Rudy said:
Did they keep the full lineup of tracks, or did they axe the three they originally didn't want to put on the U.S. release?

Track listing is identical to the Asian/Japanese versions. The only difference is the indexing of the "hidden" track. Richard's liner notes even make mention that the track was "hidden" elsewhere in the world.

Other than that - audio's identical.

Harry

That would be a cinch to drop into CD Architect, delete that unneeded space, and add a track marker. :D

In further answer to Marilyn's question above regarding the booklet to the US As Time Goes By, after the paragraph I've reproduced above, everything else looks identical, except of course the signature line which now reads "Richard Carpenter - 2004" instead of 2001.

Other minor differences:

- Though the verbiage to the descriptions of each song looks the same*, added to the US version are the track timings, the composers and publishing rights, and as mentioned above, the musician credits.

- A slight change in a track title: "I Got Rhythm" is now the "I Got Rhythm Medley"

- I detect slight color variations on the outer photo. The US version that I have has slightly more natural flesh tones and the pictures are less washed out. This could be a printing variation found in any two releases, not necessarily because one is from Japan and the other is from the US, but it's noticeable nonetheless. The back cover photo also has better contrast making the track listing a bit easier to read.

- The background color for the track liner notes is a darker, more orange color than the Japanese almost ochre color.

- The actual disc's background color is different too, now a pale powder blue as compared to the Japanese grey.

- Track 15 is listed on the new one, but not the old, both on the disc and on the back.

- The back cover also adds a line "Produced by Richard Carpenter" not found on the Japanese release.

- The US release has a UPC block on it, but no "COMPACT DISC DIGITAL AUDIO" logo. The reverse is true of the Japanese release. And of course there are changes in the fine print with company addresses and such, with the new one carrying a small Universal Chronicles logo as well as a UMe designation.

One unusual thing that IS the same is the white colored plastic tray in the jewel box. I've found that most US jewel boxes are either black (old days) or clear (nowadays), while most Japanese releases seem to favor white trays. Thus, to me this LOOKs like an import.

The catalog number is also different, with the Japanese being UICY-1060, the US issue gets number 069 493 112-2

Harry
...with the details, online...

* see next post

There are a few additions to the track listing notes that escaped me the first time through. I'll attempt to list them here:

A last sentence is added to "Nowhere Man"
Richard Carpenter said:
"Unfortunately, since this vocal is from a well-used acetate "ref," it is slightly distorted, but lovely to listen to, nonetheless."

The final phrase in the notes to "Dizzy Fingers" now reads:
Richard Carpenter said:
"..., I had seen with my parents the year of its release."

There are subtle linguistic embellishments throughout the "Close Encounters/Star Wars" notes, such as "As with most television producers, the producer/director..." replacing "As the producer..."

A phrase is added to the last sentence added to the "Carpenters/Como" medley notes:
Richard Carpenter said:
"...superior, though admittedly, not what it could have been aurally had it all been pre-recorded."

The notes to "California Dreamin'" now include a note that the reason Joe Osborn gave Richard the demo is "long forgotten". Also changed is the phrase "I finally got around to putting real strings" now becomes "I finally had the opportunity to add real strings".

On "And When He Smiles", gone is the opening sentence of congratulations for finding the hidden track. Also gone is the airdate of the BBC special, and added is the explanation of the :20 second delay in the track start.

Harry
...with further details, online...

WOW!!!! Thanks so much, Harry, for so much great detail. Maybe I should rethink this one?!! I could always just print out your added comments and add them to the import. At any rate, I appreciate your taking such careful note and including it all here.

Marilyn

You're welcome! The differences are subtle and might not be noticeable to very many, but some of us Carpenterphiles (as Richard has so named us!) delight in even tiny variations.

Seriously, if your passion is listening, there is NO difference. This US version is truly for those who missed it and those of us who are obsessed with getting everything.

Harry
...trying to be thorough, online...

Harry said:
- The US release has a UPC block on it, but no "COMPACT DISC DIGITAL AUDIO" logo.

Did anyone check to see if it is copy protected?

There are no "Copy Controlled" notices on it anywhere. This tactic is not very prevalent in the US.

I think most companies just stopped using the Compact Disc Digital Audio logo simply because it "expired" and they no longer HAVE to.

Harry

P.S. It's probably not copy-contrlled since the disc plays fine in Winamp, but the CDDB didn't recognize the tracks when I put it in. Probably the difference in that last track confused it.

One other factoid learned with this release: Pete Jolly is co-credited on keyboards with Richard on the "Karen/Ella Medley".

Interesting...

Harry

Harry said:
There are no "Copy Controlled" notices on it anywhere. This tactic is not very prevalent in the US.

I think most companies just stopped using the Compact Disc Digital Audio logo simply because it "expired" and they no longer HAVE to.

Harry

P.S. It's probably not copy-contrlled since the disc plays fine in Winamp, but the CDDB didn't recognize the tracks when I put it in. Probably the difference in that last track confused it.

Didn't realize the logo had expired. I thought those licenses lasted 28 years (but that might be copyrights, not trademarks). Universal didn't seem to be one of the big labels pushing for copy protection either--I think BMG is more adamant about it overseas.

Agreed about CDDB: someone will have to submit the new running order to them.

April 13, 2004 was the date of a CarpenterS release. Now, these being so few and far between, I was almost as happy as I was 34 years ago with CLOSE TO YOU. I say "almost" as happy. ATGB's release ,along with God knows how many comps, is a subtle way a reliving the glorious past.

I clearly remember each and every purchase other C's records. Naturally, I have the original copy and several more intended for the personal pleasure of collecting this-n-that. Often times for displays.

ANYTHING released 21 years after a performer's death commanding world-wide attention is special to me. I like the hoopla. My friend who works for a large chain of record outlets, called yesterday to say his delivery of ATGB C.D's may possibly be accompanied with promo material. This friend, knowing me as he does, will surely acquire everything he can.

Guys, you gotta take whud'ya get as the fan base. If Universal doesn't promote the C.D. Who else is going to get the word out? I understand that we as a whole are a limited fan base. But CarpenteriteS, cha gotta start somewhere. There's a whole new generation ready to embrace this sound. They also may help to inspire a demand for yet another something or another. I know, I know, this could/should be the end of it all to "some" who feel the catalog has been purged and so on...There's an entire recent post regarding that. I realize that I may be "over-the-top". Call me "fan-addict"! Okey dokey, I'm done...

Trying to get the feeling again,

Jeff

Well I'm still debating whether to get this US released, I already have 2 copies of the Japan import, the 2nd one was free & by accident by the shippers.

Harry, Why is the 20 sec intro left on this US release on the last track. I'm glad it got it's own track # but why is the 20 sec delay still there????

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Harry, Why is the 20 sec intro left on this US release on the last track. I'm glad it got it's own track # but why is the 20 sec delay still there????

I believe on the original it was just a way to create a hidden track, giving it a lengthy gap and not putting a track marker on it. Presumably the US version just adds a track marker but still retains the gap, so the counter on your CD player will count backwards for 20 seconds until the formerly "hidden" track plays. (Unless you advance it manually.)

Know what? I stated earlier that the "fan base" should do the necessary promo for ATGB. Actually, reconsidering this thought it occured to me that Universal should get behind THEIR release and do the promo. I gotta say as far as CarpenterS are concerned, there appears to be little of this attention. For some strange "obsessive" reason it pisses me off!

Still afflicted,

Jeff

Thank you, Harry, for your detail.

I cannot enter your link, official site.

Is the following official site?
http://new.umusic.com/flash.aspx

When you go to Music page, you can see photo cover of "as time goes by." If you type 'Carpenters' in 'Search U.S. Music' box, you will find "Gold- 35th Anniversary Edition (2 CD)" and "as time goes by"(Apr 13, 2004).

Sakura

As I predicted a few months ago,"As Time Goes By" is being marketed as a catalog album.Half of the album has already been released,and the remaining tracks are mostly variations or alternate versions of old tracks,(i.e. "Superstar/Rainy Days" medley).Obviously,there's no way Universal would have devoted alot of time and money into a heavy marketing campaign to promote this release.Even ICE magazine listed "As Time Goes By" as a vault reissue,and several area stores only have one copy in stock.As for myself,The best track on the album,"Karen/Ella medley" is on ESSENTIAL,and that's really all I need from this album."As Time Goes By" has some interesting moments,but it's basically a mishmash collection of older and newer tracks that doesn't hold together very well as a cohesive album.(Incidentally,has anyone noticed the horrible reverb Richard added to "Without A Song"(compared to the original on "Interpretations")?

SakuraSYayoi said:
Thank you, Harry, for your detail.

I cannot enter your link, official site.

That's odd - it works fine for me. Perhaps they have a block on some foreign ISPs?

SakuraSYayoi said:
Is the following official site?
http://new.umusic.com/flash.aspx

When you go to Music page, you can see photo cover of "as time goes by." If you type 'Carpenters' in 'Search U.S. Music' box, you will find "Gold- 35th Anniversary Edition (2 CD)" and "as time goes by"(Apr 13, 2004).

Yes, that looks official too (there seem to be many "official" sites under the Universal umbrella), but the Universal Chronicles address is the one given on the back of the CDs themselves. It seems to me that THATs the site they should keep up to date if they're going to publish the address on their product.

http://www.universalchronicles.com

Meanwhile, if you look at the artist list on http://www.amrecords.com , you'll find Richard Carpenter listed (and not linked anywhere). "Carpenters" as an artist is not listed there.

Harry
...with some "official" sites, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom