• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Baez A&M box set

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimac51

While sales of box sets seemed to have peaked years ago,Universal is bringing out JOAN BAEZ-THE COMPLETE A&M RECORDINGS(1972-1976). According to www.billboard.com,the four disc set, available Aug.29(two weeks before a new Baez album,probably on Capitol) will include not only all six A&M albums(including the live material)but the ever popular but not detailed "previously unavailable tracks." Her A&M material has been fairly well represented during the CD era,with DIAMONDS & RUST and FROM EVERY STAGE selling fairly well as deep catalog items, and her fans have had access to all of her Vanguad material in deluxe packaging,too but,once again,ya gotta wonder why her and not some of the groups discussed here. Mac

I am absolutely thrilled to hear about this box set. My favorite time period in Joan's catalog is her A&M years, and I feel like those are her only albums that have been neglected when it comes to CD reissues. Granted, DIAMONDS AND RUST and FROM EVERY STAGE have been around on CD for years, with the former receiving most of the attention and even getting an MFSL gold disc release some time ago. But her other A&M albums have not been so lucky:

COME FROM THE SHADOWS came out on CD briefly and then quickly disappeared. It has been highly sought after and has gone for fairly big bucks on eBay. Only recently has its price gone down (which is probably because news of the box set is out).

WHERE ARE YOU NOW, MY SON? is the album that has been neglected most of all. It is the ONLY album in Joan Baez's entire catalog that has never seen the light of CD day, which is quite significant considering she's been recording for over 40 years. And only two songs from this album have ever made it onto compilations. To finally have this entire album on CD format is truly a dream come true.

GRACIAS A LA VIDA was issued on CD a good number of years back and remains in print as an import.

DIAMONDS AND RUST is, of course, considered a classic, and the attention is has received is well deserved, in my opinion.

FROM EVERY STAGE is a live album and has also been on CD for quite sometime. Next to D&R, it's her highest-charting A&M album.

GULF WINDS, which for some odd reason wasn't even mentioned in the Billboard article, is the ONLY album in Joan's entire catalog featuring solely songs that she has written. It's basically a BAEZ SINGS BAEZ album, which makes it quite unique. It was released on CD very briefly in West Germany back in the 80's and has remained (up until now) the rarest disc in her entire catalog, sometimes selling for over $400 on eBay!

Anyway, to make a long story that much longer, I'm REALLY happy about this box set. Now if only A&M will do justice to some other worthwhile artists (Rita Coolidge, Lani Hall, Captain & Tennille...).

Blessings,
Mickey

A few years ago I saw a COME FROM THE SHADOWS CD at a record show for six bucks and passed it up. Yep, still kicking myself.
I'm happy to hear about the box set as well. Thanks for your thorough summary of Joan/A&M CD reissue activity.
Maybe similar projects for other artists will follow.
JB

Cool site, JB! Thanks for sharing. :)

Yeah, I think we've all occasionally let a rarity go by us and, on down the road, thought, "Man, I wish I had bought that!" I think I paid somewhere around $14.00 or $15.00 for mine, and that was before I realized how rare it was. I wasn't even aware that it had made it to CD. I guess this was around '95 or '96.

I remember seeing Cher's I PARALYZE CD reissue back in the early 90's, and I never really paid much attention to it. Then one day a friend of mine brought it over and played it. Of course, I instantly loved it, but by that time it had gone out of print. It took me quite some time to find a copy.

Blessings,
Mickey

Sort of off-topic, but I wish a box set like this one were released as hybrid SACDs. Since the box sets are bought as "keepers" (especially "complete" box sets), it would make sense to put them out in the best possible format.

I've not listened to any SACD's yet, but I've heard several people remark about how great they sound. As long as A&M does a good job on this box set (i.e., remastering the tracks but not trying to "clean them up"), I'll be content. :)

Continued blessings,
Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom