• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Baja Marimba Band "Can You Dig It" 45, and coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mexicat

Hola Amigos!!!

Does anybody own "Can You Dig It" on a 45? I know it's rumored to exist as a white label promo but never seen one anywhere. I've been looking for it for a while, and it never shows up on ebay, Craigslist, or Moerer's... but I know it's gotta be out there somewhere! And is it a cover of The Monkees tune of the same name from the "Head" soundtrack??

Also, after watching those Maxwell House coffee ads again, what's the BMB tune played in the background? I only have their LPs from "For Animals Only" onwards, is it on an earlier LP or was it specially written???

Muchas gracias-

M

x

I have the "Can You Dig It" 45. There's a Part 1 and a Part 2. One of the versions has some voice-overs, while the other version is just the music. It was released as A&M 1136, and "Can You Dig It? Part 1" peaked at #40 on the Adult Contemporary chart in December 1969. I included it on my homemade BMB compilation.

Julius was the composer of the tune, but I don't know if it's the same as the Monkees tune. Head is one of the few Monkees items I don't have.

Capt. Bacardi

mexicat said:
Also, after watching those Maxwell House coffee ads again, what's the BMB tune played in the background? I only have their LPs from "For Animals Only" onwards, is it on an earlier LP or was it specially written???

Here is the ultra-rare "Man, That's Coffee." It only took me over 35 years to find a copy! It never appeared on an album. Julius told me that it wasn't released in the U.S. because Herb didn't think it was good enough. It was very popular in Canada because of the Maxwell House TV ad campaign, which did win an award. I do, however, prefer some of the TV ad arrangements - there were several - to the record version.

Man_+That_s+Coffee.jpg

A&M 300X - Man, That's Coffee b/w I'll Marimba You

Man, that's beyond rare!!!

Steve - please tell me that's your spare copy, right? The one you found for a dollar at a yard sale shortly after finding your first copy and you bought it anyway because you figured it might come in handy for a trade someday, possibly with something belonging to a handsome Mexican paper mache cat-type dude?? I can dream on, right?

And Senor Captain Bacardi thank you so much for the GEMM link! I've never bought anything from GEMM so that'll be a first for me. If "Can You Dig It" is a Julius composition then it's certainly a different tune to the Monkees one. You should pick up the "Head" soundtrack if you find it though, it's a crazy album but there's some great stuff on there...

Muchas gracias amigos-

M.

x

I think the recorded version of Man That's Coffee is better than the one used in the commercials. I always like Man That's Coffee...can't imagine why Herb wouldn't think it was good enough. I always include this tune, and Can You Dig It in homeade Baja comps.

Other non-album singles that really cook are Wall Street Rag, with vocals, and the up tempo version of Brasilia.

I got a copy of can you dig it part 1 is on one side and part 2 is on the other.but man that's coffee I do not have.
bob

Not only is it a truly Rare Record, but it is a truly Quality Record to boot (Pun mode on). Would love to score me and LPJim both a nice example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom