• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Baja Marimba review from AMG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Here's the All-Music Guide review on Collectors Choice's Baja Marimba Band collection. Thought it might be a good discussion starting point.

===================================================

Collectors' Choice Music once again delves into digitally uncharted territory. This single-disc compilation is the first domestic North American release to gather a CD's worth of the Baja Marimba Band -- an instrumental collective comprised of some of the finest studio musicians that Los Angeles had to offer -- led by the multi-percussive Julius Wechter. However, in terms of record sales and chart hits, the Baja Marimbas often took a back seat to the plethora of like-sounding ensembles who shared the A&M Records label in the mid-'60s. Stylistically, however, the Bajas' light, non-abrasive presentation perfectly complimented Alpert's (the "A" in A&M) own Tijuana Brass, as well as Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66. In fact, it was Alpert's stated intention to capitalize on various ethnic instrumentation and arrangements as they were incorporated into otherwise familiar compositions. Prior to the Baja Marimbas, Wechter's resumé included extensive recording and touring with Martin Denny's orchestra. The band's easy Polynesian-flavored delivery effortlessly incorporated Wechter's percussive offerings. In time, his contributions would likewise include arranging Denny's biggest hit, "Quiet Village," in 1959. His renown became increasingly larger as a session musician in the early '60s for as varied a list as the world of pop music incorporated during that halcyon era. The Beach Boys, Phil Spector, Frank Sinatra, and the Ventures were among his prolific clients before the Baja Marimbas' eponymously titled debut long-player was released at the height of Beatlemania in April of 1964. Within the 25 tracks that comprise Best of the Baja Marimba Band, there are numerous examples of not only the diversity of material, but arguably more important, Wechter's wholly original style of arranging. His ever-changing roster of top-shelf studio support included the likes of Hal Blaine (percussion/drums), Ray Pohlman (electric bass), Lyle Ritz (string bass), and Ervan "Bud" Coleman (guitar/percussion) at any given time. The touring version of the band was comprised of a completely different set of musicians. As they are not represented on this collection, that story shall remain untold here. These laid-back, melodic recordings include unique interpretations of concurrent '60s pop hits such as: "Walk on By," "Sounds of Silence," "Georgy Girl," and "Along Comes Mary." There are also some memorable show tunes: "Sunrise Sunset," "The Look of Love," and "Somewhere My Love." However, artistically it is many of the lesser-known pieces, such as the jazzy nugget "Portuguese Washerwoman" or the amazing reading of "Summer Me, Winter Me" (titled here "Picasso Summer"), that stand out as reinventions rather than simply interpretations. ~ Lindsay Planer, All Music Guide

Well,I'm game. Question,in passing,Mike- how long has this been in the AMG? I don't use this for a number of reasons and was just wondering.
A little web investigation shows the reviewer,Lindsay Planer,doing similar "reviews" in a column(or is this a blog?) called "As the Disc Turns" at a site called the Music Tap. I use "review" in quotation marks as they really seem to be more of an information tool-letting the reader know of a disc's existence-than actually giving a critical examination of the artist or the music.
And that is what seems to be here in this AMG "review". As a long time fan of the BMB("Ghost Writers" is the first I can recall hearing on the radio-and a single that took some searching to find)there is information here that I was not aware of. Listing of some of the early studio guys-maybe it's me but I don't remember seeing this verified. Also,I never had the pleasure of seeing the BMB in person but,like Alpert's TJB,I thought that the lineup pictured on HEAD'S UP! constituted what one might have seen at a show during this era. Yeah,I know the guys pictured did a lot of studio work,but why picture these guys unless they were a working unit? The few times I saw the BMB during this era on TV(and I don't own have any of these tapes,so I can't verify)I would have suspected at least a few of them(Bud Coleman,Curry Tjader) on stage. Since most of these TV shows were LA based,it should have been easier to get them together for a TV shot.
Planer's overview of the songs listed on the CD seem OK.I would always give an extra shout to "Sunrise,Sunset" as a highlight of Wechter and what they could do when taken seriously. Lots of people never got passed the novelty humor(Planer sure got past it)and missed a great time listening to this band on many levels. Pointing out the great original pieces in the catalog was proof that Planer seems to know a bit about the band.
I guess what is missing here is some real critiquing and any negatives he may have about the band. For me,many times they took something that was already a novelty tune("Winchester Cathedral")and couldn't do anything special to it. However,their early reading of "The Woody Woodpecker Song" told me that no piece of music out there was safe from the BMB.
All in all,Planer's piece could possibly push a casual listener into buying the CD(I think anyone would still have to hear at least a few sound bites)and after listening,the intended buyer would find few faults with the "review". Hope it helps to sell a few extra copies. Mac

I'm not sure how long it's been in there. Could have been in one of the books. I found it while looking through our online catalog, which is tied into the AMG for the reviews, tracklistings etc.

I also wondered about the studio players but have always thought the BMB was like the TJB -- a varying bunch of studio cats at first, a real band later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom