BBC Radio 2-THE HERB ALPERT STORY

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Krayola King said:
I don't know how long before something In Print that details EVERYTHING A&M will come out as we have it here, but if it doesn't, then, well, this is the next-best-thing!

Don't forget the book(s) by "she-whose-name-shall-not-be-mentioned" -- they count for something, errors, warts, high price and all!

--Mr Bill

I think the A&M story needs to be told, if only for the simple reasons that it's an important part of modern American music history, as well as being thoroughly inspirational for so many of the next generation of young entrepeneurs and creative artists.

In my humble opinion, Mr. Alpert's legacy in being the driving creative force behind A&M is even more important than his work with the TJB. I'm preaching to the choir here, but A&M was enormously influential in shaping the American (and worldwide) pop and rock music scene for decades.

Just a reminder about the dates of the broadcasts.

WEDNESDAYS 21 June to 12 July from 22:03 to 22:30 British Summer Time. That will be 11 - 11.30pm across Continental Europe; 5 - 5.30pm in New York, 2 - 2.30pm Los Angeles.

[Edited by moderator to reflect the correct broadcast dates.]

Harry said:
Rudy said:
It is still amazing that nobody has yet written a book about the history of A&M Records. There was that one publication for one of A&M's anniversaries, but a thorough history of the label, from "Lonely Bull" up through the sale to Polygram, would be great reading.

...depending on the author, of course...

Harry

There were actually 2 publications...One for the 10th anniversary, which was given to all new employees upon their hire and then one for the 25th anniversary...Yes, you are right it would make very interesting reading as I know living it was a daily adventure

thestitch said:
The dates on Richard's website are June 21st and 28th, July 5th and 12th. He also has an active link up.

Marilyn

Indeed they are.

Richard has now recorded the links, and I have confirmed transmission dates and TIMES.

WEDNESDAYS 21 June to 12 July from 22:03 to 22:30 British Summer Time. That will be 11 - 11.30pm across Continental Europe; 5 - 5.30pm in New York, 2 - 2.30pm Los Angeles

I think you'll enjoy the shows - they will all be available for seven days from transmission date on the BBC's website.

Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/ and click on "Listen Again".

And that means Midnight to Midnight:30 for me here in Bahrain... Will I be able to listen online???

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
And that means Midnight to Midnight:30 for me here in Bahrain... Will I be able to listen online???

--Mr Bill

Yes, you will - there's a live stream of Radio 2. Check out the same link.

Darn, I was away in Australia and missed this entirely. No sign of the broadcasts anymore on BBC website. Darn, darn and triple darn!

I'm really sorry that there were several versions of the transmission date floating around before the correct one was given. Radio is a constantly evolving thing, and radio schedules are subject to incessant change. (I do this for a living, so I know all about it!!)

The last set of dates I gave are now fixed, so WEDNESDAYS 21 June to 12 July from 22:03 to 22:30 British Summer Time. That will be 11 - 11.30pm across Continental Europe; 5 - 5.30pm in New York, 2 - 2.30pm Los Angeles is the full enchillada!

I really hope you all enjoy the series. A lot of work by a lot of talented people has gone into them - once they start to air, I'll be happy to discuss the various elements of the programmes!

Tony (and everyone) - I went back through this thread and inserted the correct broadcast dates in the various posts, and deleted references to the (old) incorrect dates.

Looking forward to the shows!!

Thanks Mike.

I now have copies of all four programmes, and I know you'll enjoy them. The contributors to the series are: Herb Alpert, Burt Bacharach, Bob Findlay, Peter Frampton, Noel Gallagher, Bob Grace, Roger Hodgson, Sergio Mendes, John Pisano, Chris Montez Jerry Moss, Pat Senatore, Sting, Cissy Wechter, David Wechter, Jerry Wechter.

The narrator is Richard Carpenter, the producers are Nick Low and Paul Welsh from Demus Productions.

And you really don't want to miss any of the programmes!!!

:)

you really don't want to miss any of the programmes!!!
Now THERE is the understatement of the year!! Thanks again Tony for your work on this and for keeping us up to date. This is going to be great.

From the Radio 2 Website:-

Richard Carpenter presents a four part series charting the life and career of Herb Alpert - from struggling actor and musician, to one of the most successful businessmen in the world. This is the story of the LA trumpeter who formed the world famous Tijuana Brass and in 1966 outsold The Beatles 2-1 in the US, picked up eight Grammy Awards and sold a total of 72 million records.

Over the next four weeks Richard will bring you the most incredible range of music connected to the man who launched not only his career with The Carpenters - but countless others. Programme one kicks off with an exclusive interview with Herb Alpert who talks about his early acting career in the Cecil B De Mille movie, The Ten Commandments - and how he failed to make an impression on the great director.

He also talks about how his timeless Tijuana Brass sound evolved after attending a bullfight in Mexico. Alpert collaborated with fellow songwriter Lou Adler, writing songs for surf duo Jan and Dean before going on to have worldwide hits for Sam Cooke with Only Sixteen and Wonderful World.

Brazilian band leader Sergio Mendes, Supertramps Roger Hodgson, Chris Montez (The More I See You), Bob Findlay from The Tijuana Brass and the legendary Burt Bacharach all pay tribute to Herb Alpert.

The show starts tomorrow at 22:00GMT and will be available on the Radio 2 website to listen to for 7 days from the transmission of each programme.

Bumping to get this info out front so nobody will miss the shows!

Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/ to hear the shows live.

Click on "Listen Again" to hear them up to 7 days after broadcast time.

Broadcast times: WEDNESDAYS 21 June to 12 July from 22:03 to 22:30 British Summer Time. That will be 11 - 11.30pm across Continental Europe; 5 - 5.30pm in New York, 2 - 2.30pm Los Angeles

I'm on and listening right now... about 5 minutes to start...

--Mr Bill
(almost midnight in Bahrain)

Well done Tony!

Great to hear Herb on the radio!

For those who are going to listen later on the BBC website, don't forget; it's worth it.

I had no idae that Herb send the sound of his trumpet from A&M to Goldstar by telephone wire for the echo and then had it sent back again...!

Tony - how long did it take to interview Herb & Jerry?

Stephen

Stephen Vakil said:
Well done Tony!

Great to hear Herb on the radio!

For those who are going to listen later on the BBC website, don't forget; it's worth it.

I had no idae that Herb send the sound of his trumpet from A&M to Goldstar by telephone wire for the echo and then had it sent back again...!

Tony - how long did it take to interview Herb & Jerry?

Stephen

Thanks, Stephen. It was of course a team effort - Nick and Paul had the difficult descision of what to use and what to leave out; I just breezed in to L.A., recorded everyone in sight and flew out aain!

The actual interview with Herb and Jerry took just over an hour and a half without a break. Just over an hour of that time was spent alone with Herb; Jerry joined us for the last part. Having just listened to all four programmes in one sitting, I can tell you there's quite a lot that doesn't make it to the series, but many of the best anecdotes are contained in the four episodes.

I listened to the show on Radio 2 Tonight and really enjoyed it, will listen in to the next 3 too - wonder if they will mention the link up with Shout!factory and the reissues? And will Herb reveal any future reissues? Time will tell!

I wish I could've heard it, but every time I clicked on the BBC radio it froze my computer. :confused: Must've tried it a dozen times with the same results. Guess I'll try it on the archives...

Capt. Bacardi
...with another reason to hate Real Player online...

Captain Bacardi said:
...with another reason to hate Real Player online...

Intrusive little program, too. I haven't installed it on any of my computers in about five years. I can imagine it is worse now. *sigh*

Uninstall it and try RealAlternative instead. It's a third-party media player that plays Real format files and streams, nothing more. :thumbsup: Download the WinNT/2K/XP version here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/guliverkli/mpc2kxp6490.zip?download

It should play the BBC stream with no problem. I'll have to try it later.

I was able to listen later on the archives. I guess it's possible there was too much traffic at the time of the original airing.

Sounded great, though! It seems to me with the people they are interviewing that this would make a nifty video documentary. Kinda nice that "Tell It To The Birds" got a little airplay during the show. I wonder when that was last played on radio?

Capt. Bacardi

Just listened to the broadcast, using the "listen again" feature...went off without a hitch. Lots of anecdotes, and good to hear Chris Montez...I'm not too familiar with his recordings: did I hear Julius playing on CALL ME, and John Pisano on THE MORE I SEE YOU ? Great job, Tony! You da man!!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom