• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Best Carpenters video moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very insensitive of Mr. Tekishami, never heard of him and never seen the clip, but by the sound of it, Richard had every right to be annoyed.

The above circumstance with Richard in Japan, I have not seen.
However, along those same lines, the host in the 1983 Australian interview (promoting VOTH)
asked Richard if he "remembered the lyrics to 'At The End of A Song', to which a puzzled Richard replies, "of course"!
Or, remember, Kathy Lee Gifford flubbing the song on a Carpenters medley she was performing with Richard, on "Live with Regis and Kathy",
and then, she says to Richard--"now, remember how we did it in rehearsal?", as if to blame her mistake on him!
My God, what he and Karen (have) endured throughout their career.
They are both pinnacles of professionalism and restraint.
I applaud Richard Carpenter for maintaining his composure in the face of adversity.

Richard was an easy target after the death of his sister, musical collaborator, and his musical inspiration. It's really unfortunate that some were able to utilise Richard's vulnerability. I'm not sure how he found the strength to promote VOTH, but he did, and without that determination, there would not have been an album to promote.

Well, I think most people gave him an obvious break during such a horrible time, but a certain few showed a drastic lack of taste in their approaches.

Considering this was before the music video, this takes some beating.

Oh man - I just LOVE LOVE LOVE this video of Karen singing from their first TV show in 1976 ! She looks simply beautiful and she appears to be actually singing this 'live' to playback as far as I can tell...either that or she is/was amazingly accurate at duplicating to a 'T' her intonation and vibrato flawlessly. It sounds like this music was dubbed to this video from the album cut which is of course very well recorded but I actually prefer the original track from the TV production that was used for playback. Either way once again Karen nails this performace dead on and it's without a doubt one of my favorite 'live' Karen moments of all time.

She looks simply beautiful and she appears to be actually singing this 'live' to playback as far as I can tell...either that or she is/was amazingly accurate at duplicating to a 'T' her intonation and vibrato flawlessly. It sounds like this music was dubbed to this video from the album cut which is of course very well recorded but I actually prefer the original track from the TV production that was used for playback. Either way once again Karen nails this performace dead on and it's without a doubt one of my favorite 'live' Karen moments of all time.

She's miming on both, it's the same pre-recorded vocal as was later used on 'As Time Goes By'. Richard sweetened the track for its album release but both versions are essentially the same vocal. That's how good Karen was.

Oh man - I just LOVE LOVE LOVE this video of Karen singing from their first TV show in 1976 ! She looks simply beautiful and she appears to be actually singing this 'live' to playback as far as I can tell...either that or she is/was amazingly accurate at duplicating to a 'T' her intonation and vibrato flawlessly. It sounds like this music was dubbed to this video from the album cut which is of course very well recorded but I actually prefer the original track from the TV production that was used for playback. Either way once again Karen nails this performace dead on and it's without a doubt one of my favorite 'live' Karen moments of all time.

When Karen put on that on that serious face, we knew that we were going on an emotional musical journey...love it or hate it....Karen was able to make you stop and listen......and that was the magic ingredient....and it worked.

Speaking of Carpenters video moments, it seems, according to the August 1975 Fan Club Newletter #44, that
Carpenters' concert performance of "Top of the World" (Premiere Theater, May 1975)
was videotaped for broadcast on WNBC (NY).
Anyone ever see said performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom